[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's your favorite Fantasy platform?

Moobs

Hey guys, I hope all is well. I have been playing this silly game for close to 30 years. I am looking to spice it up a bit. We did something like MFL and now ESPN. We have been on ESPN for over 10 years. It just gets worse and was never really good imo. I'm looking for something that promotes some form of interaction as well as a better dashboard that gives you more control. What are you guys playing on and what do you think is the best site to play on? Thanks for the advice!

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

Thank you! I will revisit it. I think we moved a long time ago because it was ESPN and free. Willing to pay whatever to have something better.

Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people like sites like ESPN and yahoo because there's nothing really to set up other than the rules. Also, a lot of casual players like it because it includes a lot of analytics and resources making it a one stop shop. With MFL it's mostly just for league management, though ot does provide some "who to start" and projections that are mostly pulled from partner sites. 

Personally, I've always preferred going outside my league software to sites like The Huddle, where they focus solely on analysis and insight than have to compete with the same info being fed to all my league mates. It just feels less cookie cutter to me and more condusive to having involved owners because they invest more effort and thought into it. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, rajncajn said:

Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people like sites like ESPN and yahoo because there's nothing really to set up other than the rules. Also, a lot of casual players like it because it includes a lot of analytics and resources making it a one stop shop. With MFL it's mostly just for league management, though ot does provide some "who to start" and projections that are mostly pulled from partner sites. 

Personally, I've always preferred going outside my league software to sites like The Huddle, where they focus solely on analysis and insight than have to compete with the same info being fed to all my league mates. It just feels less cookie cutter to me and more condusive to having involved owners because they invest more effort and thought into it. 

I figured a big part of it was its free. Sounded like that was part of the reason the OP's league was on ESPN and dropped MFL. But you also get what you pay for, that includes support and adding features based on what the users want. 

For customization, I agree that you can't really beat MFL and all of its options, especially for dynasty leagues.  If you want to save information from one season to the next, there is no platform even close to doing what MFL can do.  I will say this, though.  I've been using MFL for the better part of two decades, and it CAN seem overwhelming at times, just to set up the smallest thing.  There are SO MANY options/menus that, if you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to screw up things like waivers settings, blind bidding, or even lineup requirements. Especially when they update their site like they did this year, moving all of their menus/options around.  Finding a "League Invoice" to show that your league is paid for used to take about ten seconds.  This year, after they moved it for whatever reason, it took me like 10 minutes the first time I tried to find it.  

If you have a very simple league to set up, MFL might not be for you.  Personally, I'd probably still go their direction, simply because it's the best bang for the buck (with various discounts, I can get leagues for around $50/year).  The site isn't flashy like ESPN, Yahoo, or others, which matters to some (not so much to me).  I'd rather save the $$ on flash and have options, but that's not for everybody. 

A good example is guillotine leagues.  I've done them on guillotineleagues.com, and it's super easy to set up.  You really can't mess it up, as the site walks you through everything.  Cost was about $55.  MFL can do the same thing for around $35-40.  That said, for a first-time user, it may not seem as straight-forward as the site that specializes in guillotine leagues.  Again, I was able to navigate through it and would prefer to put that extra $15-20 back into the payout pot.  But, MFL might not be for everybody, especially for simple leagues.  

Side note... If you are just looking to start a basic redraft league, another good option is FFPC.  I haven't used it for my own leagues (I've just joined a few public ones), but I do like their platform for the most part.  And, in my limited experience, their app is far better than the MFL app (but, I tend to just stay away from the MFL app and use the phone version of their website).  

Just my two cents.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you asking for dynasty or redraft formats?  Honestly, if you're doing redraft, you don't need MFL unless you really want a ton of customization.  I don't see anything wrong with Yahoo for redraft purposes, although my work redraft switched to Sleeper this year and it's not bad either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gopher said:

For customization, I agree that you can't really beat MFL and all of its options, especially for dynasty leagues.  If you want to save information from one season to the next, there is no platform even close to doing what MFL can do.  I will say this, though.  I've been using MFL for the better part of two decades, and it CAN seem overwhelming at times, just to set up the smallest thing.  There are SO MANY options/menus that, if you don't know what you're doing, it's easy to screw up things like waivers settings, blind bidding, or even lineup requirements. Especially when they update their site like they did this year, moving all of their menus/options around.  Finding a "League Invoice" to show that your league is paid for used to take about ten seconds.  This year, after they moved it for whatever reason, it took me like 10 minutes the first time I tried to find it.  

If you have a very simple league to set up, MFL might not be for you.  Personally, I'd probably still go their direction, simply because it's the best bang for the buck (with various discounts, I can get leagues for around $50/year).  The site isn't flashy like ESPN, Yahoo, or others, which matters to some (not so much to me).  I'd rather save the $$ on flash and have options, but that's not for everybody. 

A good example is guillotine leagues.  I've done them on guillotineleagues.com, and it's super easy to set up.  You really can't mess it up, as the site walks you through everything.  Cost was about $55.  MFL can do the same thing for around $35-40.  That said, for a first-time user, it may not seem as straight-forward as the site that specializes in guillotine leagues.  Again, I was able to navigate through it and would prefer to put that extra $15-20 back into the payout pot.  But, MFL might not be for everybody, especially for simple leagues.  

Side note... If you are just looking to start a basic redraft league, another good option is FFPC.  I haven't used it for my own leagues (I've just joined a few public ones), but I do like their platform for the most part.  And, in my limited experience, their app is far better than the MFL app (but, I tend to just stay away from the MFL app and use the phone version of their website).  

Just my two cents.  

Awesome detailed response! Thank you!

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Are you asking for dynasty or redraft formats?  Honestly, if you're doing redraft, you don't need MFL unless you really want a ton of customization.  I don't see anything wrong with Yahoo for redraft purposes, although my work redraft switched to Sleeper this year and it's not bad either.

It's a redraft that has been around for close to 30 years. I would rather have a ton of customization than none. ESPN gives you very little control or options. I don't care what Watson thinks or the weak projections.  I don't think it has enough fluff that really carries any weight. As a commish it's frustrating to come up or agree on a change and not be able to implement it. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Montana is da Man said:

We do a redraft league and use CBS.  I know a lot of people don't like CBS but I like how it saves league history and has record books for however long the league has been on CBS.  

Yep we have been on CBS for many years and are happy with it. I've quit mentioning it because people would always bash it, and explain how whatever they use is better, cheaper etc. 

Last night I ran into something I couldn't do on the app (make a trade without a player on each team involved) which was only available via the web interface. That stuff is becoming more and more common, the difference between the mobile app and web version, 

• Thanks 1