[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hall Of Fame Finalists for 2005

Hat Trick

Dan Marino

Steve Young

Michael Irvin

Derrick Thomas ( my personal favorite, see avatar :D )

Those 4 all made the final 15 in their 1st year entry.

Fritz Pollard

Benny Friedman

Harry Carson

Richard Dent

L.C. Greenwood

Russ Grimm

Claude Humphrey

Bob Kuechenberg

Art Monk

Roger Wehrli

George Young

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1964413

What a list! I hope the top 4 all get in.

Irvin and Thomas probably make it..

650964[/snapback]

I'm not so sure about Irvin. If Monk still has yet to get in, I think that it might take a while for Irvin to be inducted, if he is at all. While Irvin was very good, he clearly wasn't the best amongst his peers at the time (Rice, Carter, Brown, Reed). And he's certainly not as good as a lot of the guys who began their careers towards the end of his (Moss, Harrison, TO).

I'm not so sure about Irvin.  If Monk still has yet to get in, I think that it might take a while for Irvin to be inducted, if he is at all.  While Irvin was very good, he clearly wasn't the best amongst his peers at the time (Rice, Carter, Brown, Reed).  And he's certainly not as good as a lot of the guys who began their careers towards the end of his (Moss, Harrison, TO).

651103[/snapback]

While I agree, the fact he has 3 Super Bowl rings will help him out....

I'm not so sure about Irvin.  If Monk still has yet to get in, I think that it might take a while for Irvin to be inducted, if he is at all.  While Irvin was very good, he clearly wasn't the best amongst his peers at the time (Rice, Carter, Brown, Reed).  And he's certainly not as good as a lot of the guys who began their careers towards the end of his (Moss, Harrison, TO).

651103[/snapback]

I am hoping this is the year that Monk finally makes it. I think that D Thomas is questionable. Did he have the numbers? Granted his life and career were cut short, but I am thinking he is on the outside of the fense looking in.

I am hoping this is the year that Monk finally makes it. I think that D Thomas is questionable. Did he have the numbers? Granted his life and career were cut short, but I am thinking he is on the outside of the fense looking in.

651154[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I agree that DT is probably not in this year. Irvin has a much better chance due to the rings. However, eventually DT will get in I think.

I don't understand how Monk isn't in already. He is 5th all time in receptions and 8th all time in yardage. At one point he was the all time receptions leader. The only thing I can see why he wouldn't be in is that he only scored 68 TD's(just over 4 per year av), and that is a weak arguement considering his other accomplishments.

I see Marino as a lock.

Irvin was good, and he has 3 rings but his past will keep him out this year. I think he belongs there, but not this year

Young, personally, I don't think he belongs there. Just my opinion

Thomas has a shot, he was good, but I think some of the others deserve it more

Dan Marino

Art Monk

L.C. Greenwood

George Young

would be my choices

I don't understand how Monk isn't in already.  He is 5th all time in receptions and 8th all time in yardage.  At one point he was the all time receptions leader.

651173[/snapback]

Agreed...

If Hampton is in, Dent should be too.

651197[/snapback]

... and agreed.

The two obvious locks are Marino and Young. IMO, the others are iffy.

Has anyone here actually been to the Hall of Fame? I have been there twice, back in the early 90s. While I was there, they had Art Monk's jersey hanging in a display case---I believe for all time receptions leader. For crying out loud, the guy deserves to be enshrined already!

I don't think D. Thomas gets in this time, but may in the future.

What happened to Gary Zimmerman? He was eligible the last two years in a row, and now he doesn't make the top 15? How does that happen?

Irvin's numbers would have been much better had the Cowboys not run the ball 55-60% of the time. Irvin was the "Original" physical receiver. You couldn't play press coverage on him...he'd abuse you, and if you played off him too far, he was a good enough runner after the catch to go the distance on any given play. I also agree on Monk, great receiver, and a real class act.

Irvin was the "Original" physical receiver. You couldn't play press coverage on him...he'd abuse you, and if you played off him too far, he was a good enough runner after the catch to go the distance on any given play.

652220[/snapback]

That is true. Irvin paved the way for big, physical guys like Keyshawn and TO.

WHY?!?!?!?!  :D

652247[/snapback]

Just seems to me that he gets Montana pushed out, inherits a SB caliber team that he takes to the SB, once, and then, nothing...

I just never thought he was as good as the players around him. That and the way Montana was pushed aside. Again, just my opinion.

I don't understand how Monk isn't in already.  He is 5th all time in receptions and 8th all time in yardage.  At one point he was the all time receptions leader.  The only thing I can see why he wouldn't be in is that he only scored 68 TD's(just over 4 per year av), and that is a weak arguement considering his other accomplishments.

651173[/snapback]

SI's Paul Zimmerman proffers the argument that "Art Monk's career is 800 7 yd hitches"; looking at his td totals and ypc, I think that knock bears some merit.

Besides, it took James Lofton (who for a time was #1 in rec yds and hung around at #2 after Rice passed him for quite a while before dropping to #3, where NOBODY looks to be coming up on him anytime soon) probably near 10 years to get in, and I'd argue he was a better WR, with more impressive stats, than Monk.