[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets fans rejoice! Hackett's gone!

Swampnuts

And in case you were wondering...

Here are the leading OC candidates according to Newsday:

Barring a longshot candidate, such as Southern Cal offensive coordinator Norm Chow, here's a preliminary list of successors if the Jets make a change:

Scott Linehan, Vikings offensive coordinator: Contract is up Jan. 31. A proponent of the shotgun offense, something that intrigues Edwards. Was interviewing in Miami yesterday and is scheduled to visit the Jaguars later in the week. The Dolphins are believed to be the leading contenders.

Mike McCarthy, Saints offensive coordinator: A West Coast disciple who was in Kansas City when Edwards and Bradway were there. Excellent with young quarterbacks. Already has interviews scheduled in Detroit and Jacksonville.

Mike Sheppard, Saints quarterbacks coach: Interviewed for the Ravens' coordinator job that went to Jim Fassel. Has West Coast background but would combine spread-formation elements similar to Buffalo's "K Gun" with Jim Kelly. Worked under Bill Belichick in Cleveland, then coached the receivers and called the plays for the Ravens in 1996, when Vinny Testaverde made his first Pro Bowl.

Jason Verduzco, Chiefs quarterbacks coach: A disciple of Chiefs coordinator Al Saunders who worked for Ron Turner at Illinois. Viewed as a guru of the passing game and is from Walnut Creek, Calif., where Edwards' agents are based.

Cam Cameron, Chargers offensive coordinator: Former Indiana University coach whose contract expires. Specializes in a balanced attack. Did a great job with tight end Antonio Gates and quarterback Drew Brees.

Bruce Arians, Steelers receivers coach: Overlapped briefly with Edwards and Bradway in Kansas City. Was Peyton Manning's quarterback coach from 1998-2000. Would bring some elements of Tom Moore's audible system.

----

No way Chow goes. Not with Leinart back. I figure it's Sheppard, McCarthy or Linehan.

*** Thanks to Joeyjetsfan for contributing to my delinquent ways ***

Edited by darin3

Scott Linehan, Vikings offensive coordinator: Contract is up Jan. 31. A  proponent of the shotgun offense, something that intrigues Edwards. Was interviewing in Miami yesterday and is scheduled to visit the Jaguars later in the week. The Dolphins are believed to be the leading contenders.

661440[/snapback]

Didn't Pennington work mostly out of the shotgun at Marshall?

I don't know where Paul Hackett's act will show up again, but I pity the team that gets him. The guy has about as much imagination as a houseplant.

I don't know where Paul Hackett's act will show up again, but I pity the team that gets him.  The guy has about as much imagination as a houseplant.

661493[/snapback]

Aw, no reason to rip on houseplants.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him out of football for a year and re-emerging on the West Coast (Niners?).

Didn't Pennington work mostly out of the shotgun at Marshall?

661455[/snapback]

I'm not sure what they did at Marshall, but I know Hackett doesn't even know the meaning of the term shotgun. Hackett leaving is long over-due, I swear Jets fans have been complaining about him non-stop for the last few years. In the past Chad would stick up for him and generally save Hackett's butt, but thankfully not this time.

I'm not sure what they did at Marshall, but I know Hackett doesn't even know the meaning of the term shotgun.  Hackett leaving is long over-due, I swear Jets fans have been complaining about him non-stop for the last few years.  In the past Chad would stick up for him and generally save Hackett's butt, but thankfully not this time.

661627[/snapback]

I think they pretty much had one play at Marshall...

"Throw it to Randy, on one....Ready - Break!"

Glad to see Hackett gone. I'd like to see the Jets take an agressive stance on offense, just like they did on defense this year. Herm got lucky finding Donnie Henderson last year.

I don't know much about these guys, but I don't want someone who overlapped with Edwards and Bradway in Kansas City. That's where they got Hackett. I don't really want a college guy - I'd rather have someone with pro experience. Mike Sheppard sounds interesting - any Saints fans out there know much about this guy?

Reports are coming that the Jets hired Heiberdinger (spelling?) from Tennessee.

Edit: Mike Heimerdinger is the correct spelling. He's been the Tennessee Titan's offensive coordinator for the past 5 years.

Edited by Skrappy1

Just read on Sportsline that Paul Hackett called it quits today.

Gotta be good news for Jets fans who are sick of the 3 yards and a cloud of dust routine.

661431[/snapback]

I seem to recall doing a little jig when Paul "Can't"Hackett was canned off of the Chiefs. Then they became an offensive dynamo and forgot how to play D. :D

Pennington did play quite a bit out of the shotgun at Marshall, but Hackett refused to use that formnation at all with the Jets, a point of contention with Edwards. Hackett was and is a "system" guy - he believes staunchly in his system, and wants the players to adapt to his system, as opposed to tinkering with the system in order to best utilize the players at his disposal. This was the primary disagreement with Edwards I believe, and a source of endless frustration for Jets fans who wanted to see our playmakers (Santana Moss and lamont Jordan) get more touches. Another example - he refused to put in some plays where Pennington would work out of the shotgun and have a couple different options to choose from as he approached the line of scrimmage, which is exactly the situation in which he excelled at Marshall (although given the Jets' difficulty in getting plays off on time, maybe this was best). He also did not utilize the tight end position at all, which is kinda' surprising for a West Coast offense guy, although arguably the Jets don't have alot of receiving talent at tight end.

Having said all that, I did hear something interesting on the radio the other night - I cannot remember the exact stats, but the record of teams where Hackett was the offensive coordinator is staggering - something like 6 division titles in 10 years maybe? Again, cannot remember the exact stats, but the guy has won wherever he's been.

Never heard of this fellow from Tennessee, but he will have to make some adjustments to whatever he was running for the Titans - Pennington doesn't have anywhere near the arm strength nor mobility of Mcnair. Quite a change, actually, going from McNair's cannon to Pennington.

I don't know where Paul Hackett's act will show up again, but I pity the team that gets him.  The guy has about as much imagination as a houseplant.

661493[/snapback]

Where was all this anti-Hackett sentiment when the Jets started the season with an impressive record, keeping pace with the undefeated Patriots??

Bah. Firing him is a scapegoating move. Play better defense. Make a kick now and then. Get a decent receiver. THAT's what will elevate the Jets.

Where was all this anti-Hackett sentiment when the Jets started the season with an impressive record, keeping pace with the undefeated Patriots??

Bah.  Firing him is a scapegoating move.  Play better defense.  Make a kick now and then.  Get a decent receiver.  THAT's what will elevate the Jets.

662038[/snapback]

That brief escapade into never never land never changed my opinion of Hackett one bit. I've thrown plenty of verbal bullets toward Hackett since his dreadful days in K.C.. I couldn't believe that someone else actually gave him another shot, but it turned out about like I expected.

Scapegoat? Maybe. The Jets can do much better.

Bah.  Firing him is a scapegoating move.  Play better defense.  Make a kick now and then.  Get a decent receiver.  THAT's what will elevate the Jets.

662038[/snapback]

Trust me, most Jet fans have been waiting for this move for a couple of years now. I don't know that many days have passed where callers on the local sports talk radio aren't calling for his head...this was long overdue.

662038[/snapback]

Jets fans and the NY media have been complaining about Hackett for four years.

Where have you been? Did you just fall off the Donut truck??

What can you Titan fans tell me about Mike Heimerdinger? I don't think of the Titans as an offensive powerhouse, but I'm sure he'll be better than Paul Hackett.

662038[/snapback]

It's difficult to conceive of squeezing more inaccuracies into such a short span of words as you've managed to do here.

Why would Jets fans wait this long to celebrate the death of the great comedian Buddy Hackett ? It just doesn't make any sense. I still do not understand what Buddy Hackett ever did to the Jets. :D