[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maurice Clarett- Thoughts?

The Vatican Hitsquad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pulling guard would probably be too fast for him to keep up with. :D

713296[/snapback]

From Len's article:  Clarett, who was hoping to improve his stock with NFL scouts, squandered his latest shot at redemption on Saturday afternoon, posting sluggish performances in the 40-yard dash. According to the unofficial times, Clarett ran 4.72 seconds and 4.82 seconds in his two efforts. Because he was not among the five fastest, no official time was provided.

How slow are those times? By comparison, four offensive line prospects, all weighing more than 300 pounds, were clocked faster than five seconds.

:bigshock: :D How soon until he claims Ohio State conspired to keep his times slow? How soon until his laywer explains that the NFL Players Union is afraid to let a youth of his dominance into the league so they were in on the time consipiracy? How soon until Jim Brown demands a half a second be deducted from his time to compensate for the emotional baggage he's been saddled with by the establishment? How soon until his "agent" explains how a year of nothing but pure training is no way to train for a 40 yard straight ahead sprint? :D

Some word pairs for you, Maurice:

Personal responsibility.

Squandered opportunity.

Wasted talent.

Clarett may well go down in the Lawrence Phillips chapter of great wastes ... if he ever gets as far as LP got, that is ...

:bigshock:  :D  How soon until he claims Ohio State conspired to keep his times slow?  How soon until his laywer explains that the NFL Players Union is afraid to let a youth of his dominance into the league so they were in on the time consipiracy?  How soon until Jim Brown demands a half a second be deducted from his time to compensate for the emotional baggage he's been saddled with by the establishment?  How soon until his "agent" explains how a year of nothing but pure training is no way to train for a 40 yard straight ahead sprint?  :D

Some word pairs for you, Maurice:

Personal responsibility.

Squandered opportunity.

Wasted talent.

Clarett may well go down in the Lawrence Phillips chapter of great wastes ... if he ever gets as far as LP got, that is ...

713465[/snapback]

It goes back to what I was saying earlier. All the hype that he even has was because of some football he played a few yars ago when he was 19. And he hasn't played since. He aged, and sometimes highschool prospects dont turn out just like College ones don't.

I joked that Al Bundy was once the greatest QB in Chicago HighSchool football history, once tossing 5 TDs in a single game. That led him to a life as a shoe salesman. I think that this is a case where life is going to imitate art.

I am by no means a Clarrett fan and this is no ringing endorsement of giving him a shot in the NFL but I do wonder what kind of time did Earl Campbell put up in the 40? Obviously by my sig line I am a HUGE Earl fan and do not mean to say Clarrett and Campbell should be mentioned in the same breath but does the 40 time mean all that much as compared to game situations?

I am by no means a Clarrett fan and this is no ringing endorsement of giving him a shot in the NFL but I do wonder what kind of time did Earl Campbell put up in the 40? Obviously by my sig line I am a HUGE Earl fan and do not mean to say Clarrett and Campbell should be mentioned in the same breath but does the 40 time mean all that much as compared to game situations?

713496[/snapback]

Pure speed probably doesn't matter that much for a RB, as do vision, quickness, cutting ability, power etc. By that logic, I won't necessarily be vowed by a 4.4 speedster RB, or won't be too down on a guy who ran a 4.6.

But 4.8+?? What the hell is that? And then he decides not to do the rest of the drills. How do coaches think he'll reacting to, say, fumbling early on in the game? Pack it up and leave for the locker-room perhaps.

By the way, no official timing was provided for 'Reece. That's because they're still waiting on him to finish :D

It goes back to what I was saying earlier. All the hype that he even has was because of some football he played a few yars ago when he was 19. And he hasn't played since. He aged, and sometimes highschool prospects dont turn out just like College ones don't.

I joked that Al Bundy was once the greatest QB in Chicago HighSchool football history, once tossing 5 TDs in a single game. That led him to a life as a shoe salesman. I think that this is a case where life is going to imitate art.

713472[/snapback]

My hero Al wasn't a QB he was a RB. I think? :D

Al was the star QB of Polk High!!!

but i think it was actually 4 TDs, not 5...

:D

713518[/snapback]

Ok, just had to find this for ya, here you go

Al scored four (since 501, without the number already in 304) touchdowns in a single game with the "Panthers" (304, 418, 516, 910) on November (318, 418) 17 (318) 1966 (304, 516, 615) versus Andrew Johnson High (516), where his team won the High School City Championship. In that year, he was also Polk High Panthers Most Valuable Player (418) since he also scored the most touchdowns in one season for the team (304). At that time, he was 18 years old (804). Al's football position was full back (304, 305), jersey number 33 (520, 601, 613, 615, 621, 626, 722 t-shirt, 910, 1114, 1120) (but number 12 in ep. 523). His nickname in high school was "Touchdown Bundy" (304, 613). According to ep. 808, he already had a scholarship for college, but he couldn't start to play because of a broken leg

Link if you're interested

:D:D:D

I think Clarrett has been well coached in the art of the interview since we last heard from him.  Nobody turns into a good guy overnight.

4.72 and 4.82    :bigshock:  That will hurt him.

713100[/snapback]

Will hurt him, no doubt, but he are some prospects who ran in that range (IIRC, all were at least drafted)

Cedric Cobbs, 4.75

Clarence Farmer, 4.71

Brock Forsey, 4.7

Joe Burns, 4.8

Jonathon Wells, 4.7

Marcell Shipp, 4.74

And most of those guys are smaller than Clarett. I wouldn't say that his 40 times completely sink him, but they certainly drop him off the first day, probably into the 6th-7th round. When durability and character are issues, and the production is very limited, all you really have to go on are measurables, and his aren't those of an elite back (just glancing through the last 3 draft guide, it seems that the top backs generally run sub-4.6, but those between 4.6 and 4.7 have been pretty productive in the NFL).

Ok, just had to find this for ya, here you go

Al scored four (since 501, without the number already in 304) touchdowns in a single game with the "Panthers" (304, 418, 516, 910) on November (318, 418) 17 (318) 1966 (304, 516, 615) versus Andrew Johnson High (516), where his team won the High School City Championship. In that year, he was also Polk High Panthers Most Valuable Player (418) since he also scored the most touchdowns in one season for the team (304). At that time, he was 18 years old (804). Al's football position was full back (304, 305), jersey number 33 (520, 601, 613, 615, 621, 626, 722 t-shirt, 910, 1114, 1120) (but number 12 in ep. 523). His nickname in high school was "Touchdown Bundy" (304, 613). According to ep. 808, he already had a scholarship for college, but he couldn't start to play because of a broken leg

Link if you're interested

:D  :D  :D

713542[/snapback]

Heh, I stand corrected on my Al Bundy knowledge... That's so funny, thanks for the link!

713496[/snapback]

I agree, but I watched his runs and he simply lacked any "burst" off the line, as it appeared he ran the same speed for the entire 40-yards. I agree that some backs are much more explosive and come up-to-speed within 2-3 steps which makes them "Game" faster, but Maurice simply lacked both acceleration and top-end speed.

Many top-end slow backs break long runs because they are up-to-speed within 3 yards gaining great seperation.

In watching both of his runs, he came up to speed slow and seemed never to accelerate. He simply looked to be laboring down the line. Maybe its the extra 10 lbs he is carrying, but in the limited footage I saw, he was the worst RB prospect on the field.

Hell, the most impressive prospect to me was Brandon Jacobs, who @ 252 lbs, ran a 4.5. A man that large running a 4.5 should be registered as an illegal weapon.

Hell, the most impressive prospect to me was Brandon Jacobs, who @ 252 lbs, ran a 4.5.  A man that large running a 4.5 should be registered as an illegal weapon.

714084[/snapback]

Wow, that's pretty impressive. If he's got some moves to go with that speed and weight, he could be real dangerous.

eff Clarett and his stolen SUV. The only positive is the fact that he owned up to a bad day and said he would have another workout in March. The old Clarett may have not done so well.

He needs to learn humility and respect for the game. He could have taken a step in that direction this weekend. Does anyone know his 40 time when he was Ohio St.?

Watch out Bengal fans:

And say what you want about the slow times Maurice Clarett ran, but at least he stepped on the track and tried. Not one GM or head coach I interviewed believed Clarett had destroyed his chance to play in the NFL. In fact, Bengals skipper Marvin Lewis said quite the opposite. "Maurice is in a process of getting things right," he said, "and I already know he's a good football player. He should run better next time."

Gil Brandt on nfl.com

Anyone who believes his 40 times alone will keep him from being drafted are not seeing the big picture. Thing is, it's not his 40 times alone. You'd better be a helluva lot more physically impressive that he is right now when you bring that much baggage to the table. Going into my freshman year, I was fatigued by being in the middle of basic training and ran in the 4.7-4.8 range and the coaches were a bit concerned by it, as was I. This being the case, you gotta believe a potential NFL RB running similar times has to be a huge concern.

Will he go undrafted? I doubt it.

Will he be drafted on the 1st day? I doubt it.

Sure, TD clocked a 4.7 and yes, he put up great numbers in the league but he wasn't drafted until the 6th round. How many other 6th round RBs have had careers like his?