[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With the 7th-rd pick in the draft, Vikings take...

BillyBalata

Vikings trade for starting middle linebacker

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

The Vikings have agreed to trade a seventh-round pick in next month's draft to the New York Jets for veteran linebacker Sam Cowart, coach Mike Tice said Friday afternoon.

Continuing their push to bolster their defense, the Vikings addressed their most glaring question mark heading into the April 29-30 NFL Draft.

"What excites me about this trade, in spending time with Sam, is he's got veteran awareness," Tice said. "It gives us another veteran leader, and he walks in as our starting middle linebacker."

In 2001, when he played for the Buffalo Bills, Cowart tore his right Achilles tendon in the first regular-season game. But in 2002, after reuniting with defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell with the Jets, Cowart rebounded with 127 tackles, two sacks and eight passes defended. He had 140 tackles and two sacks in 2003.

During the 2004 preseason, Cowart sprained his knee and was replaced by Jonathan Vilma, who played brilliantly as a rookie.

Cowart passed a physical Thursday with the Vikings.

"I talked to him about certain situations, and he gave me wonderful veteran answers," Tice said. "He's a guy who will be vocal for us in the huddle. As I've said throughout the offseason, I think we lack veteran leadership. With Darren Sharper and Pat Williams, Fred Smoot and Sam, we've added some players who bring veteran awareness and leadership to our huddle."

Asked about the future of last year's middle linebacker, E.J. Henderson, Tice said, "He's got to learn from Sam, No. 1. Then, No. 2, he needs to dedicate himself to being the best player he can be."

are the vikes switching to a 3-4??? I don't get what's up with all these middle linebacker signings. They have EJ, Napolean (from the moss trade), Dontrelle (the guy everyone was raving about last spring camp, and a freak of nature), and now Cowart. Why are they trading for middle backers when they already have middle backers.

are the vikes switching to a 3-4???  I don't get what's up with all these middle linebacker signings.  They have EJ, Napolean (from the moss trade), Dontrelle (the guy everyone was raving about last spring camp, and a freak of nature), and now Cowart.  Why are they trading for middle backers when they already have middle backers.

740528[/snapback]

Because they suck.

I guess Cottrell is still picking up former players.

So can we consider Cowart part of the Moss deal as the Vikings got an extra 7th rounder from Oakland.

Billy, where are you at...I'm up in Brainerd and we haven't seen a flake at all.

So can we consider Cowart part of the Moss deal as the Vikings got an extra 7th rounder from Oakland.

Billy, where are you at...I'm up in Brainerd and we haven't seen a flake at all.

740582[/snapback]

Yeah, and if D Johnson falls to # 7, the Vikings could very well have traded Moss for their entire new starting LB corps.

740582[/snapback]

Way down south in Rochester. TV just said another 8-10 inches tonite. :D

740582[/snapback]

im about right in the middle of you two ,geographicly speeking that is , and we have had about 6-7

Cowart's days of being a play maker are behind him, there won't be any sideline to sideline plays, or sacks, or O line penetration by him.... he never regained his speed after that injury in Buffalo a few years ago. What he does bring is veteran leadership and very good defensive play calling to a defense that needs a leader. He will play well against the run up the gut, but struggles in pass coverage. this is, in part, meant to put a fire under EJ's arse. Cowart had asked the Jets for his release some months ago, and they declined, preferring to shop him. The fact that he could only bring a 7th round pick is testamony to the erosion of his play making abilities. Still, a very good play caller on the D, with great leadership qualities. EJ, here is your mentor.