[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Current salary cap status

Swiss Cheezhead

Raiders: $300,000.

Buccaneers: $406,200.

Patriots: $532,500.

Falcons: $564,300.

Dolphins: $1,110,200.

Saints: $1,170,600.

Giants: $1,317,200.

Redskins: $1,502,900.

Jets: $1,573,500.

Seahawks: $1,829,900.

Buffalo: $2,020,100.

Chiefs: $2,021,600.

Broncos: $2,183,700.

Titans: $2,266,700.

Steelers: $3,000,500.

Panthers: $3,290,500.

Texans: $3,832,700.

Lions: $4,469,800.

49ers: $4,744,700.

Bengals: $5,163,700.

Rams: $6,018,700.

Packers: $6,069,400.

Bears: $6,160,600.

Ravens: $7,058,300.

Chargers: $7,278,900.

Browns: $7,974,400.

Cardinals: $7,999,000.

Colts: $8,192,200.

Eagles: $8,523,200.

Vikings: $9,398,000.

Cowboys: $9,725,500.

Jaguars: $11,348,800.

Source: www.profootballtalk.com

Two observations:

1. Thank you, Ted Thompson, for fixing our cap problems. :D

2. How in the hell is Minnesota STILL that far under the cap?? That piss me off.

760476[/snapback]

MN is still that far under the cap by being cheaper than hell the last couple of years. They would be even further under the cap if not for front loading contracts. Brzezinski (however you spell that) IS a brilliant capologist though.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

Just because a team has a lot of cap space this year, does not mean they will have a lot of room next year. Sometimes the contract numbers just line up great for a year. Take the Colts for example. Even though Edge is eating $8 million of cap space with his franchise tender, they are still $8 million+ under the cap. Why aren't they signing any free agents? Or signing Edge to a long term contract? Because they know they don't have as much room the next year. And the contracts of Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney are coming up. Gotta save that space. . .

This is all BS. You simply can't do these "cap snapshots" anymore, they have no meaning. There are all sorts of bonuses coming due and players that are going to get cut and so on and so forth it's not funny. The only people who really know how much cap room they have to play with are the GMs and bean counters, and they can create more if they really need to whenever they want.

Peace

policy

This is all BS.  You simply can't do these "cap snapshots" anymore, they have no meaning.  There are all sorts of bonuses coming due and players that are going to get cut and so on and so forth it's not funny.  The only people who really know how much cap room they have to play with are the GMs and bean counters, and they can create  more if they really need to whenever they want.

Peace

policy

760545[/snapback]

Still dropping knowledge.

This is all BS.  You simply can't do these "cap snapshots" anymore, they have no meaning.  There are all sorts of bonuses coming due and players that are going to get cut and so on and so forth it's not funny.  The only people who really know how much cap room they have to play with are the GMs and bean counters, and they can create  more if they really need to whenever they want.

Peace

policy

760545[/snapback]

Of course I don't dispute any of that, but I like to at least have an idea of which teams are right up against the cap and the teams that are WELL under it. As for the Packers, it's just nice to see that we have someone who can manage the cap at all.

For what it's worth, possibly the most important thing I took from these numbers is how cap-strapped the Bucs are.

For the last couple of days, I've had a hunch that the Bucs would trade up with either the Fins or the Browns. With so little room under the cap, that appears more unlikely.

Well, remember how the Raiders were like thirty million over the cap two years ago, and by the time it mattered, they were plenty under the cap and they'd only lost, like, Ted Washington? Pretty much only the Niners, Titans, and Cowboys have gotten so far over the cap that they had to tighten the belt, and that's because the Niners and Cowboys cheated to build dynasties, and the Titans . . . well, the Titans made mistakes.

Peace

policy

Peace

policy

760545[/snapback]

AGREED very well said

Well, remember how the Raiders were like thirty million over the cap two years ago, and by the time it mattered, they were plenty under the cap and they'd only lost, like, Ted Washington?  Pretty much only the Niners, Titans, and Cowboys have gotten so far over the cap that they had to tighten the belt, and that's because the Niners and Cowboys cheated to build dynasties, and the Titans . . . well, the Titans made mistakes.

Peace

policy

760594[/snapback]

I don't think the Titans made mistakes they had their window and missed it and now have to pay. Same thing happened to the Jags and the Ravens except the Ravens got a shiny ring out of it. Plus, the Raiders have sucked the last two years so I would say they are paying for it to some degree.

I don't think the Titans made mistakes they had their window and missed it and now have to pay. Same thing happened to the Jags and the Ravens except the Ravens got a shiny ring out of it. Plus, the Raiders have sucked the last two years so I would say they are paying for it to some degree.

761064[/snapback]

First, the Titans were stupid with contracts and contract structures. Instead of planning ahead, they would just go through a mad scramble of last-minute restructuring, and be in the exact same situation the next year. It just finally caught up with them. The Jags couldn't get Brunell, Taylor, and Smith all on the same field at the same time until they were all well into their 30s (and Brunell had long since lost "it"), but the cap was not really their problem either. I must have missed the big cap purge the Ravens went though . . .

Peace

policy

I like seeing the current figures.

Personally, I'd like to see the Ravens let zero of that space go to waste. Sign our draft picks and then redo Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis' contracts. Ray is sure to count for more in the future, so modify it so that he gets some of that back end money now in the form of 2005 salary, which we will guarentee. That will not be prorated and can be put out of the way now.

I believe Jamal is a free agent next year. Giving him a new deal while he's a bit cheaper (he is in prison) may not be a bad idea. Instead of like $15 million in bonus, give like $10 with $5 as guarenteed first year money.

It's not like unspent money rolls over to next year, it's use it or lose it.