[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Sign Brad Kassell

spain

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/ar...ent_ID=68216732

Kassell might be next to leave team

By JIM WYATT

Staff Writer

Linebacker Brad Kassell made the rounds on the Titans Caravan yesterday, going from Cookeville to McMinnville to Tullahoma to meet and greet fans.

His next stop could be in Detroit — to play for the Lions.

Kassell, who started at middle linebacker for the Titans last season, yesterday signed a one-year offer sheet from the Lions for around $1 million.

The Titans now have the opportunity to match Detroit's offer, but if they don't they'll lose him and have yet another hole in their defense.

''The best-case scenario is they'll match,'' Kassell said last night. ''I've been happy playing in Nashville. I like the coaches and my teammates and everything. But sometimes a business opportunity comes up and you have to take it. But if everything works out I'll still be here.''

The Titans have until next week to decide whether or not to match the sheet. If they don't, they would not receive compensation from the Lions since Kassell was undrafted in 2002.

As a restricted free agent, Kassell last month was given the low tender of $656,000 by the Titans, who also guaranteed his contract for 2005. The Titans also received a right of first refusal to negotiate a deal with Kassell in the future.

With approximately $3 million worth of room under the salary cap, the Titans should be in a position to keep Kassell.

He started 14 games last season, replacing Rocky Calmus, and recorded a career-high 128 tackles. He closed last season with a career-high 19 tackles in Tennessee's victory over Detroit.

At the end of the season, Coach Jeff Fisher said Kassell would begin training camp as the '05 starter in the middle.

''My situation here is good. I really enjoyed playing this year. It was a great learning experience for me. It helped me mature so much as a player, getting to play all that time,'' Kassell said.

''From time to time you run into problems with the cap, and even if they do like you they can't keep you. But if they do keep me it shows they really like me and that would make me very happy. It would mean a lot to me. Sometimes things don't work out, and I'll just have to wait and see.''

If the Titans don't match Detroit's offer for Kassell, Calmus would be the favorite to reclaim his old spot, although outside linebacker Peter Sirmon could be moved into the middle. The Titans would also alter their plans for the April 23-24 NFL Draft.

Efforts to reach Titans General Manager Floyd Reese last night were unsuccessful.

What's your take on this guy Spain?  And is it just a formality that the Titans will match?

781114[/snapback]

I believe the Titan will re-sign him but It's nice to see the Lions making these moves.. at least taking a shot at some of these guys. Last year in a game vs the Lions he had 19 tackles in the season finale.

According to NFL.com the Titans hold the right of first refusal on this guy which means they can match the Lions offer or lose him without compensation.

This makes me wonder if Derrick Johnson isnt atop Lions draft board? :D

What's your take on this guy Spain?  And is it just a formality that the Titans will match?

781114[/snapback]

I think they absolutely have to match. Kassell is just too good a player to allow $350k to come between signing him. My view is there is no way the Titans dont match the offer on this guy. What is really strange is that Kassell wasnt even drafted and was given zero chance of making the team. But he just kept out playing all of the guys around him. Smart, tough, and makes plays. If for cap reasons the Titans cant match, this guy will be a steal for Detroit, imo...

This makes me wonder if Derrick Johnson isnt atop Lions draft board? :D

781117[/snapback]

What is the story on Lehman? Isnt he starting at MLB for Detroit? Are the Lions happy with him or is there something I dont know?

What is the story on Lehman?  Isnt he starting at MLB for Detroit?  Are the Lions happy with him or is there something I dont know?

781120[/snapback]

lehmanis wlb, bailey slb, holmes mlb.

either they want an eventual replacement for holmes

or bailey is still hurt and they are moving lehman to slb and would use kassel at wlb.

What is the story on Lehman?  Isnt he starting at MLB for Detroit?  Are the Lions happy with him or is there something I dont know?

781120[/snapback]

Holmes is still here too... Yes the Lions to like Lehman... but are looking too add a LB possibly to the mix.. Holmes is older and Boss has been hurt.

I would love to see the trio of Lehman, Boss, Derrick Johnson.

I would love to see the trio of Lehman, Boss, Derrick Johnson.

781130[/snapback]

Now that would be an monster of an LB corps! Not going to happen, but it would be absolutely sick if it did!

Lehman is the heir apparent to Holmes at this point, but he's quite undersized for an MLB. Last season, he lost wieght all year, and was down to like 210 by the end of the season. My guess is that the Lions don't feel he'll ever be able to approach 250 and stay there, and so now view him as a monster WLB, and are looking for a young, athletic MLB.

And Russ, I don't think DJ was ever at the top of their draft board. He's Teddy Lehman, just slightly larger (and way more expensive).

Peace

policy

Derrick JOhnson Highlight Video http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/v...04_johnson.html

I think one of the reason the Lions made an offer on Kassel was to put the heat on the Titans. If you dont want him we'll tke him for Million. If you do then you may not want to draft our guys Derrick Johnson.

Nice move by the Lions.. put a little pressure on the Titans.

DJ may be on THE top.. but he right there. Anytime you can upgrade, and add a PLAYMAKER you do it... DJ is a play maker. Some are saying the closest thing to a sure thing in the draft... the best LB to come out in 4-5 years... he can play the run, go sideline to sideline, drop back in coverage, he can rush the passer.. he forces turnovers..

How may turnovers, sacks, tackles by Lions last year? It was pathetic.

That said we could also use a pass rusher as Porcher and Edwards just cant get the job done... we have Hall at DE and that's about it... with the exception of DT Redding who the get outside sometime.

Edited by RussMan

Derrick JOhnson Highlight Video  http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/v...04_johnson.html

I think one of the reason the Lions made an offer on Kassel was to put the heat on the Titans.  If you dont want him we'll tke him for Million.  If you do then you may not want to draft our guys Derrick Johnson.

DJ may be on THE top.. but he right there.  Anytime you can upgrade, and add a PLAYMAKER you do it... DJ is a play maker. Some are saying the closest thing to a sure thing in the draft... the best LB to come out in 4-5 years... he can play the run, go sideline to sideline, drop back in coverage, he can rush the passer.. he forces turnovers..

How may turnovers, sacks, tackles by Lions last year?  It was pathetic.

That said we could also use a pass rusher as  Porcher and Edwards just cant get the job done... we have Hall at DE and that's about it... with the exception of DT Redding who the get outside sometime.

781665[/snapback]

The Lions will have to trade up if they want to get Johnson, imo. No way does he slide all the way to the Lions right now..

Derrick JOhnson Highlight Video  http://mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/v...04_johnson.html

I think one of the reason the Lions made an offer on Kassel was to put the heat on the Titans.  If you dont want him we'll tke him for Million.  If you do then you may not want to draft our guys Derrick Johnson.

DJ may be on THE top.. but he right there.  Anytime you can upgrade, and add a PLAYMAKER you do it... DJ is a play maker. Some are saying the closest thing to a sure thing in the draft... the best LB to come out in 4-5 years... he can play the run, go sideline to sideline, drop back in coverage, he can rush the passer.. he forces turnovers..

How may turnovers, sacks, tackles by Lions last year?  It was pathetic.

That said we could also use a pass rusher as  Porcher and Edwards just cant get the job done... we have Hall at DE and that's about it... with the exception of DT Redding who the get outside sometime.

781665[/snapback]

The titans can resign Kassell and draft DJ and say FU to the Lions. Who TF are the Lions anyway, a complete joke.

The Lions will have to trade up if they want to get Johnson, imo.  No way does he slide all the way to the Lions right now..

781667[/snapback]

I think you're right.. so we my have to go with Rolle, Pollack, James, Pac Man Jones.... no way do I buy these smokescreens about drafting a QB or WR in Rd 1