[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lurie to Owens - not going to happen

DMD

The bulk of his salary will come at the end of his current contract.  Most teams release players once they get to the meat of their contract, especially older players.

810363[/snapback]

He received over $9M last season, he will receive $3M+ this season, and he is scheduled to receive I believe $8M+ in season #3. That is about $21M in the first three years (average of $7M/year).

I understand that players get the short end a lot but it is not like he being under-paid. If Owens was making $2-$3 million a year I could understand.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with you.  i never could understand why people would applaud what the eagles are doing.  Teams cut players all the time, for many reasons.  Take a look at Chad Brown in seattle. He gave them everything he had, then they wanted him take a pay cut, he said no, and they cut him.  Teams don't need to honor thier contract, so players should have the right to sit out and get a contract that better suits thier production. 

on a side note: i'm so glad to see the titans f0cked after the way they have poo'ed on thier players.

810530[/snapback]

It's football my man. You lose a step and don't want to take a pay cut you're gone and someone is there to replace you. It's the nature of the beast. These people are trying to run a football team not a chip factory. Once they give in to TO they have to deal with other players trying to do the same thing. TO does his damage against weak competition anyways.

He received over $9M last season, he will receive $3M+ this season,  and he is scheduled to receive I believe $8M+ in season #3.  That is about $21M in the first three years (average of $7M/year). 

810542[/snapback]

Absolutely and he's what, 31 years old now?

I totally agree with you.  i never could understand why people would applaud what the eagles are doing.  Teams cut players all the time, for many reasons.  Take a look at Chad Brown in seattle. He gave them everything he had, then they wanted him take a pay cut, he said no, and they cut him.  Teams don't need to honor thier contract, so players should have the right to sit out and get a contract that better suits thier production. 

on a side note: i'm so glad to see the titans f0cked after the way they have poo'ed on thier players.

810530[/snapback]

I totally disagree.

I have seen instances where players deserve to be paid more that they are making and have to hold out to get the team to pay up.

I have no problem with that.

This situation is totally different.

TO signed one of the most lucrative contracts ever offered in the NFL last year. If he didn't like it being backloaded in years 6 & 7 then he should have signed for a shorter term. But regardless TO got paid a ton of money last year. He is making MORE than he is worth. This holdout is motivated by greed and is ill-timed and a bad idea.

And an excellent example of why I would never want him to play for my team. The Eagles did get to the Super Bowl after signing him but not because they signed him. And even though they got there they didn't win it so he obviously wasn't the answer to them winning it.

So why deal with his crap?

T.O. should make Moss/Harrison money........no less. He is still in his prime. He is underpaid. When he signed the contract, he must have known he should be worth more and wanted to prove he was worth more (he basically jumped at the chance to be out of SF and avoid Baltimore). I would say he proved himself last year. I applaud Philly for not laying down on this, but I also agree with what he is doing. I understand he is a multi-millionaire, but the window in the NFL is small and why not try to get the money while he still can? Santana Moss makes around what T.O. is making .....SANTANA MOSS!

T.O. should make Moss/Harrison money........no less.  He is still in his prime.  He is underpaid.  When he signed the contract, he must have known he should be worth more and wanted to prove he was worth more (he basically jumped at the chance to be out of SF and avoid Baltimore).  I would say he proved himself last year.  I applaud Philly for not laying down on this, but I also agree with what he is doing.  I understand he is a multi-millionaire, but the window in the NFL is small and why not try to get the money while he still can?  Santana Moss makes around what T.O. is making .....SANTANA MOSS!

810590[/snapback]

This a$$hole again. That last sentence is a blatant lie. Unless you can post both official contracts up side by side shut the F*ck up.

Plus if TO holds out, he will lose the 3 mil. and 1.7 of his bonus. He will lose almost 5 mil. he better stopp listening to Rosenhause and start playing.

Plus if TO holds out, he will lose the 3 mil. and 1.7 of his bonus. He will lose almost 5 mil. he better stopp listening to Rosenhause and start playing.

810602[/snapback]

Very true. All the man is going to do in this process is lose money.

And as a 31 year old holdout, I don't really see a win in this for him.

This a$$hole again. That last sentence is a blatant lie. Unless you can post both official contracts up side by side shut the F*ck up.

810598[/snapback]

Easy to talk big on the internet huh toughie? Way to be.

To anyone who's opinion matters (read: anyone not TimD), T.O. is a top WR and should make top WR money, most would agree with that.

Easy to talk big on the internet huh toughie?  Way to be.

To anyone who's opinion matters (read: anyone not TimD), T.O. is a top WR and should make top WR money, most would agree with that.

810634[/snapback]

Sure. But he shot himself in the foot.

He should have decided his value last year.

810634[/snapback]

He is getting paid top receiver money. produce the contracts and prove that he is getting paid identical to Santana Moss. Seriously dude I will talk to you anyway I would like.

810634[/snapback]

Oh and by the way stop being a p*ssy pedro

Edited by TimD

810634[/snapback]

He made more money last year then any receiver in the league I believe. I would also bet that averaging $7M a year for the first three years is somewhere in the top tier of WRs. If he didn't like the contract the way it was laid out he shouldnn't have signed. He decided to take $9M+ in year one and less in year 2 and then $8+M in year 3. You mean to say he didn't look past year #1 when he signed a 7 year deal?

I would also like to see his contract compared to Santana Moss to prove your earlier statement. I can't believe Santana Moss will make the same as Owens. And don't try to pull that one year comparison crap. T.O. will make over $3M this year but you have to look at last year and the next year of the contract too. At least take the average of the first 2-3 years from both contracts.

:D yeah they did

810589[/snapback]

How do you figure? Did T.O. help the Eagles in the regular season? Of course. But he missed all of the playoffs and the Eagles finished better then the last three years. I'm not saying they wouldn't have made it if T.O. was playing but he did not help get them through the playoffs.

Oh and by the way stop being a p*ssy pedro

810650[/snapback]

Thats great TimD, great input. People like you ruin forums like this. Why don't you save everyone the time and stop posting nonsense. Just drop it TimD, I don't want to waste typing time replying to your crap. ( aka, calling me a pu**y cause you are now the 'internet tough guy').

I am not agreeing with T.O., but if this were a team other than the Eagles he would probably get paid, so I can't blame him for trying. It looks like he's going to get burned by it though.

Thats great TimD, great input.  People like you ruin forums like this.  Why don't you save everyone the time and stop posting nonsense.  Just drop it TimD, I don't want to waste typing time replying to your crap.  ( aka, calling me a pu**y cause you are now the 'internet tough guy').

I am not agreeing with T.O., but if this were a team other than the Eagles he would probably get paid, so I can't blame him for trying.  It looks like he's going to get burned by it though.

810808[/snapback]

I put in my input pedro. You'd know that if would read all the posts and not just the ones dogging you. I think ebartender made it pretty clear on the TO situation.

So please drop it. You got nothin just like TO.

We go through this discussion every time someone holds out for a bigger contract. I don't like to see players holding out (and now Merriman's doing similar sh*t with the Bolts), but when all is said and done, the NFL is a business, guys, a BUSINESS. Pure and simple.