[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lurie to Owens - not going to happen

DMD

Just to add...what part of the contract did T.O. "not" know last year??? Owens knew where the bulk of the money was to be paid, he knew what years would be the biggest pay-out wise and to say "The owners do it to the players all the time"---what a hoot...!! If he was worth more money...show Lurie don't bang the war drums and send out smoke signals...go do your job---put your panties back on T.O. and play football!! You knew what you were signing....gues millions of millions of dollars wasn't enough, his ego is so big IMO he wants to be the top paid WR in the NFL...JMHO :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy didn't even HAVE to get a contract last year. He was TRADED, and he seems to overlook that fact when discussing it. He was lucky he bitched his way out of Baltimore, and luckier that Philli gave him a new contract period. His signing bonus certainly did put him in a category most would consider being recognised as a top teir player, another fact he's conveniently overlooking.

F him.

I hate the Eagles. But I love the Eagles ownership so far.

There's a big part of me that agrees with what Owens is doing.  NFL owners and coaches do this all the time to players.  Why is that acceptable but when a player does it, he's looked down on.  I will admit, there is a more professional way to do it(take A. Gates for example), but I think the justification is there for a contract negotiation.  The bulk of his salary will come at the end of his current contract.  Most teams release players once they get to the meat of their contract, especially older players.  NE does it every year.  So why shouldn't he get what he deserves now before the team can give him a Oprahin'?  Peace.

810363[/snapback]

WRONG.

The players belong to a union. The union negotiated these rules.

Owens was traded while still under a contract he signed with the 49ers. It is no one's fault but his and his agents that he did not become a free agent like he was planning. After being traded to Baltimore, he filed a grievenece. As part of the settlement for that, he was traded to Philly and AGREED to a new contract. If he did not like the contract Philly offered, he could have stuck with his grievence.

Point is he joined the union, he signed a contract witht he 49ers and signed a new contract with Philly. He needs to shut his hole and play.

I like what Philly is doing. They see that even if they give this momotard a new deal, he'll just want an other new deal in 2-3 years if he still thinks he's a top WR and someone else is now making more than him.

I'd like to see Owens become the next Errict Rhett.

Wonder what they could get in trade for him?

TO is one of the elite WR's in the league no doubt. He is also one of the biggest pains in the ass in the league to whoever he plays for and there is little doubt in that as well. Bottom line is that he wanted to go to Philly and pitched a fit when he was traded to Balt. He made such a stink that Balt. caved and let Philly have him, which was probably one of the best moves the Ravens ever made. He signs a new deal with Philly which makes him one of the top paid WR's in the league. The Eagles are happy, TO is happy (supposedly) and Eagles fans everywhere are happy.

Now we fast foward a year later. TO has bagged on his starting QB, questioning his desire/ability/durability whatever and he has threatened to hold-out unless he gets more money than he agreeded to just last year! The cancer is spreading.

Welcome to the world of TO Eagles fans.

Don't laugh Raider fans. Your next. :D

Edited by 'canes2004

WRONG.

The players belong to a union. The union negotiated these rules.

Owens was traded while still under a contract he signed with the 49ers. It is no one's fault but his and his agents that he did not become a free agent like he was planning. After being traded to Baltimore, he filed a grievenece. As part of the settlement for that, he was traded to Philly and AGREED to a new contract. If he did not like the contract Philly offered, he could have stuck with his grievence.

Point is he joined the union, he signed a contract witht he 49ers and signed a new contract with Philly. He needs to shut his hole and play.

I like what Philly is doing. They see that even if they give this momotard a new deal, he'll just want an other new deal in 2-3 years if he still thinks he's a top WR and someone else is now making more than him.

I'd like to see Owens become the next Errict Rhett.

This is the move:

Get Travis Henry.

The Eagles have been very open about their desire to figure out a way

to work a deal to acquire the disgruntled Bills running back. Even

after the draft, Eagles coach Andy Reid said the Henry possibility

wasn't completely dead.

Most people believe the Eagles' openness was largely a way to put

pressure on running back Brian Westbrook to do a long-term deal with

them.

Besides that, a running back of Henry's accomplishment - he has been

over 1,300 yards twice in his 4-year NFL career - would put Correll

Buckhalter and his two repaired knees in a more complementary role,

and not in a spot where he will be tested too strenuously, too soon.

So there is all of that - enough to make the deal without any other

considerations. But Henry also would give the Eagles some T.O.

insurance because he would give them the ability to show everybody

another version of the old-time religion.

You remember, the three-headed monster.

This has been said last year, and this year, and it will be said

again: Owens gave the Eagles a home-run threat, and he changed the

appearance of the Eagles' offense, but he did not make it more

productive. This quarterback was very good and this offense was very

good without T.O.

If not for the disaster that was the NFC Championship Game against

Carolina following the 2003 season, the excellence of that offense

would have been recognized. That was the three-headed monster offense,

with Duce Staley, Westbrook and Buckhalter in the backfield. Those

Eagles walked the ball up the field more than the T.O. Eagles did last

year, and they ran in the red zone more than last season, but they

scored slightly more points per game down the stretch of that 2003

season than the Eagles did in 2004.

They could do that again next year, with Henry taking the place of

Staley. It isn't a perfect exchange of skills - Henry is the more

durable runner, Staley the more explosive receiver - but it could

work. It would be different but it would be viable. The coaching on

this team is good enough that they could make it go.

This is from an article on Philly .com

Edited by NSab

How convenient to not include TO getting a signing bonus.  He signed the contract and received mucho upfronto.

link

I didn't see Santana Moss' name ahead of TO's either.

811114[/snapback]

To be fair, that list is last year's salary. I think he was talking about this coming year.

Regardless, Owens is a pinhead jackass. He signed the contract, end of story. He gets nothing and likes it.

To be fair, that list is last year's salary.  I think he was talking about this coming year.

Regardless, Owens is a pinhead jackass.  He signed the contract, end of story. He gets nothing and likes it.

811126[/snapback]

Do the Eagles have to remind TO of his signing bonus last year? Why do players conveniently forget a few minor details like that?

How convenient to not include TO getting a signing bonus.  He signed the contract and received mucho upfronto.

link

I didn't see Santana Moss' name ahead of TO's either.

811114[/snapback]

I don't think you'd see Santana's new deal with Washington in the 2004 Salary info, correct? I basically mentioned Santana because I think he is overpaid, much like Peerless Price is completely overpaid (and no, I am not saying that just now, I said that the day he was signed). From what I understood in interviews with Rosenhaus, T.O. isn't in the top 10 salary-wise for WRs under current salaries.

I don't think you'd see Santana's new deal with Washington in the 2004 Salary info, correct?  I basically mentioned Santana because I think he is overpaid, much like Peerless  Price is completely overpaid (and no, I am not saying that just now, I said that the day he was signed).  From what I understood in interviews with Rosenhaus, T.O. isn't in the top 10 salary-wise for WRs under current salaries.

811299[/snapback]

Correct. I just pulled up this salary data base and it only has 2004 salaries. Obviously both Santana and Price are overpaid. The Price is not right.

Just to add...what part of the contract did T.O. "not" know last year???  Owens knew where the bulk of the money was to be paid, he knew what years would be the biggest pay-out wise and to say "The owners do it to the players all the time"---what a hoot...!! 

811041[/snapback]

That's why players have agents! Often times they do not know the specifics of their contracts because they trust their agents. And catch up dude, owners and coaches DO screw these players over ALL THE TIME!!

I think a few things are clear:

1) TO is a greedy pos who no teammate should trust--he will get his;

2) Rosenhaus is a Megan Fox and the worst of all agents--he will get his;

3) TimD is a yipper yapper tool who needs to quit flexing--he will get his.

811409[/snapback]

Good info here.

811409[/snapback]

Sounds about right.

TO signed a 7 year contract, 49 million. Even if he doesn't make it to the backend to get it all. With his signing bonus, base salary, incentives (if there are any) he will make more then most people will see in a lifetime.

No one twisted his arm, or held a gun to his head to get this deal done. In fact, he was the one pushing it. So now after a single year he wants more. Amazing.

Some people on this board say that the Owners don't live up to their part of the agreement, they can cut a player.

I don't know where they work, but in most companies, if they can find someone that can do your job better, and they can pay them less, your gone. And if the average person goes to management and tells them they are holding out until they are paid more, they will lose there job.

I hope the Eagles stand firm. He doesn't want to show-up, don't pay him and don't trade the rights to him. keep him locked up so he can't play for anyone else.

Here's a guy that has a shot at becoming one of the best WRs to play the game. Has one of the elite QBs throwing too him. Making enough money that once his career is over, he's set for life. And should have an all expenses paid trip to Canton when it's all over.

And yet, here he is throwing it all away.

don't think I'm not aware Moss is a super douchebag. I'm long on record for hating him, and that doesn't change once he's a Raider.

811097[/snapback]

My respect for you just went WAY up!! :D (even though you're a Raider fan :D )

That's why players have agents!  Often times they do not know the specifics of their contracts because they trust their agents.  And catch up dude, owners and coaches DO screw these players over ALL THE TIME!!

811341[/snapback]

Yeah, but this does not happen in just the NFL. People lose jobs all the time because of the corporate mentality ... it is a fact of the real world. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who has made millions of dollars getting "laid off" before feeling sorry for someone who has worked for a company that just decides to "downsize" or eliminate some "overhead costs". TO or anyone other NFL player who gets "screwed" by their team won't be standing in the unemployment line or working 2-3 jobs to provide for their family.

Ok, since none of you lazy arses could look this up...Santana Moss's new deal is 6 years for $31M.  I couldn't find anything how much is signing bonus and how much is front loaded.

811876[/snapback]

Thank you ..in my book, that is overpaid. He is a slight step above A. Randle El, nothing more. His contract (and we don't know what the signing bonus was) is in the ball park of what T.O.'s is, I think that is a safe assumption anyways. From what I saw (quick glance) T.O. is making around 7 mill a year for the first few years, Santana is making a little above 5 mill and that is without bonus.

don't think I'm not aware Moss is a super douchebag. I'm long on record for hating him, and that doesn't change once he's a Raider.

811097[/snapback]

No disrespect, but I have a feeling once you are at the game on at home watching your Raiders and Moss blows up for 180 and 2 scores you will definitely be cheering. Little by little, he'll grow on you and you'll become a Moss fan. I could be wrong. Being a lifelong MN fan, I learned to accept the little things that Moss 'does' , which I think are just little things blown completely out of proportion by the media because the media really wants to hate Moss. He's been great to MN when its all said and done and MN has sold out basically every home game since Moss's rookie year.

No disrespect, but I have a feeling once you are at the game on at home watching your Raiders and Moss blows up for 180 and 2 scores you will definitely be cheering.  Little by little, he'll grow on you and you'll become a Moss fan.  I could be wrong.  Being a lifelong MN fan, I learned to accept the little things that Moss 'does' , which I think are just little things blown completely out of proportion by the media because the media really wants to hate Moss.  He's been great to MN when its all said and done and MN has sold out basically every home game since Moss's rookie year.

811890[/snapback]

Doubt it. I hate him. I have been through this with friends who in the past guarenteed my feelings would change about othe rplayers I hated, who later joined the Raiders. Romanowski, Rice and Sapp all remained on the "Megan Fox list" after they joined, stayed there and will remain there forever. Moss will be the same I'm sure.

I can be happy for the team if he scores, but I can still hate him none the less.

Owens has salary cap figures of $7.2 million this year, $3.9 million in 2005, $6.8 million in 2006, $6.5 million in 2007, $7.5 million in 2008, $8.5 million in 2009 and $8.5 million in 2010.

The extension could be voided after five years if Moss plays at least 45 percent of the offensive snaps in any year between 2006 and 2010. Thus, the deal likely will end up worth $26.5 million over five years. The first two years are structured to give Moss the equivalent of guarantees worth $11 million.

This is the best I could find on both contracts.

Given the Eagles have so much cap space and probably always will Terrell should have no problem receiving most of this money if he keeps his level of play up.

The Skins with out a doubt overpaid Moss but hey what can you do. Moss's contract should have nothing to do with Owens. They play for different oganizations with different philosophies. Owens made his choice to play for the Eagles last year when he signed that contract and now he's stuck. No way around it.

Edited by WhereAreMyRedShoes!