[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lurie to Owens - not going to happen

DMD

M big salute to the Eagles in my opinion. This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever witnessed in the history of the NFL.

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will not renegotiate the contract of star wide receiver Terrell Owens, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday.

Owens fired longtime agent David Joseph in April, hired Drew Rosenhaus and started asking for a renegotiation just one year into a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million.

The Eagles have intimated they wouldn't redo the contract, and owner Lurie told the newspaper, "It's not even an issue."

"It's a non-issue," Lurie said. "There are a lot of things I spend time thinking about, but that's not one of them."

Lurie criticized Owens' new agent for giving him "self-destructive advice."

The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with San Francisco.

Owens, reached at his offseason home in Atlanta, declined to comment.

Rosenhaus also declined to respond. "My policies are not to comment, so I have no comment," Rosenhaus said.

Owens skipped the Eagles' mandatory minicamp April 29, in a holdout that could extend into training camp, which starts in late July.

"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that," Owens had said after hiring Rosenhaus.

"Every player is both fragile and talented," said Lurie, who was traveling Wednesday with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue to a conference of chief executive officers in Beijing.

"Unfortunately, we're seeing around the league certain agents who take advantage of the fragility of the players, and are less worried about their continued success and stability than acting self destructively. It's too bad," he said.

Asked if he expects Owens to be with the Eagles next season, Lurie said, "If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should be."

"At this level, with multimillions (of dollars), you're just trying to leave a legacy and win Super Bowls, as far as I am concerned. And he's got a great opportunity," Lurie said.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So will Owens' pride/ego dictate that he sit this season out, or do you think he will eventually back down here? I can't imagine the Philly organization will make any accomodations after making a statement like that one.

There's a big part of me that agrees with what Owens is doing. NFL owners and coaches do this all the time to players. Why is that acceptable but when a player does it, he's looked down on. I will admit, there is a more professional way to do it(take A. Gates for example), but I think the justification is there for a contract negotiation. The bulk of his salary will come at the end of his current contract. Most teams release players once they get to the meat of their contract, especially older players. NE does it every year. So why shouldn't he get what he deserves now before the team can give him a Oprahin'? Peace.

I watched him on some sort of athletes bowling tournament on ESPN recently.  He definitely will not make a living doing that.

810342[/snapback]

Nope .. he had a good score one game but then had two straight gutter balls in one frame on the next game ... sheesh, two gutter balls I can do that.

I am glad to see a team stepping up and telling these million dollar crybabies to live up to their word. It about made me sick last year when he was saying ... "This is America and I should have a right to play where I want to ... yada yada" ... now the place where he wanted to play isn't good enough for him to make more money than most people will make in there lifetime.

Can you imagine him under the 49er's new WR coach who told Lloyd ... "You are not the man, I am the man" .... that would have been a funny site ... I am sure the press would have had a ball with TO's reaction had he been there for that. :D

There's a big part of me that agrees with what Owens is doing.  NFL owners and coaches do this all the time to players.  Why is that acceptable but when a player does it, he's looked down on.  I will admit, there is a more professional way to do it(take A. Gates for example), but I think the justification is there for a contract negotiation.  The bulk of his salary will come at the end of his current contract.  Most teams release players once they get to the meat of their contract, especially older players.  NE does it every year.  So why shouldn't he get what he deserves now before the team can give him a Oprahin'?  Peace.

810363[/snapback]

He shouldn't have signed the contract that was offered to him last year. What kind leverage does he really have? He has 6 years left on his contract. What is he going to hold out for 6 years?

He shouldn't have signed the contract that was offered to him last year. What kind leverage does he really have? He has 6 years left on his contract. What is he going to hold out for 6 years?

810380[/snapback]

He does have the Philly fans and the Philly Media. Who do you really fear on that team? Westbrook welcome to eight in the box. You don't have to play D on the Philly WRs because they can't catch passes as it is. A spy for McNabb or just wait for McNabb to tire himself out.

Bottom line...if Philly loses early games...then you will hear the Eagles' fans and everyone else calling for them to pay TO the darn money.

The entire situation is stupid and most of it was started by TO in the first place. Like he would refuse to play for the Ravens and wanted to select the team he would play for. Now he got what he wanted with the Eagles finally signing him and now we still aren't happy because the team is disrespecting him with a terrible contract, the contract he signed last year.

TO promised the Eagles that he would not be a disruptive force. He has become that disruptive person only one year into his contract.

Edited by MikesVikes

He does have the Philly fans and the Philly Media.  Who do you really fear on that team?  Westbrook welcome to eight in the box.  You don't have to play D on the Philly WRs because they can't catch passes as it is.  A spy for McNabb or just wait for McNabb to tire himself out.

Bottom line...if Philly loses early games...then you will hear the Eagles' fans and everyone else calling for them to pay TO the darn money.

810403[/snapback]

They did just fine without TO during the playoffs. Mcnabb said it himself Westbrook is their best weapon on offense.

Edited by TimD

As a fan, I want TO to play, but not have the franchise cave in to him. If they do it for one guy. The next guy will want the same thing. No way they cave into him. That isn't the way to keep a franchise successful.

As a fan, I want TO to play, but not have the franchise cave in to him. If they do it for one guy. The next guy will want the same thing. No way they cave into him. That isn't the way to keep a franchise successful.

810428[/snapback]

NSab, a good friend of mine lives in Philly and made several comments about TO. He made mention that a lot of Philly fans are fed up with TO and think they can do without him. The city has to a degree, turned anti TO. He also made mention that the media in Philly has turned against him also. He specifically mentioned that after a television station showed images of TO crying and saying he's just trying to feed his family, a radio station started a canned food drive to help feed TO's kids.

Is there any truth to this, and if so, it appears that the fans and media aren't exactly behind TO on this one.

There's a big part of me that agrees with what Owens is doing.

810363[/snapback]

That big part of you is foolish. We aren't talking about a guy that broke into stardom during a time when he had a crappy conract. We are talking a guy that has been a star for several years and agreed to a star level contract.

In the larger part of what you are saying I would agree. If a player is performing at the top of the league and is getting paid at the bottom, he has a beef. This is not the case with TO.

NSab, a good friend of mine lives in Philly and made several comments about TO.  He made mention that a lot of Philly fans are fed up with TO and think they can do without him.  The city has to a degree, turned anti TO.  He also made mention that the media in Philly has turned against him also.  He specifically mentioned that after a television station showed images of TO crying and saying he's just trying to feed his family, a radio station started a canned food drive to help feed TO's kids. 

Is there any truth to this, and if so, it appears that the fans and media aren't exactly behind TO on this one.

810475[/snapback]

The main sports radio station here, the am DJ's and an afternoon guy did start can food drives etc. Philadelphians in general can't identify with a millionare crying about feeding his family. Philly has a very blue collar mentality. If TO just shuts up and plays, he could again get voted in as Mayor of the city. If he continues this charade he is going to lose all respect. If he holds out, he may as well pack up and hit the road.

There's a big part of me that agrees with what Owens is doing.  NFL owners and coaches do this all the time to players.  Why is that acceptable but when a player does it, he's looked down on.  I will admit, there is a more professional way to do it(take A. Gates for example), but I think the justification is there for a contract negotiation.  The bulk of his salary will come at the end of his current contract.  Most teams release players once they get to the meat of their contract, especially older players.  NE does it every year.  So why shouldn't he get what he deserves now before the team can give him a Oprahin'?  Peace.

810363[/snapback]

I totally agree with you. i never could understand why people would applaud what the eagles are doing. Teams cut players all the time, for many reasons. Take a look at Chad Brown in seattle. He gave them everything he had, then they wanted him take a pay cut, he said no, and they cut him. Teams don't need to honor thier contract, so players should have the right to sit out and get a contract that better suits thier production.

on a side note: i'm so glad to see the titans f0cked after the way they have poo'ed on thier players.

The entire situation is stupid and most of it was started by TO in the first place.  Like he would refuse to play for the Ravens and wanted to select the team he would play for.  Now he got what he wanted with the Eagles finally signing him and now we still aren't happy because the team is disrespecting him with a terrible contract, the contract he signed last year.

TO promised the Eagles that he would not be a disruptive force.  He has become that disruptive person only one year into his contract.

810419[/snapback]

so what if he signed the contract only a year ago. look at a couple of years ago with the titans & godfrey. they told godfrey that if he restructred his contract & took a pay cut they would keep him. godfrey did it, then right b4 training camp, when most teams are done looking at FAs, the titans cut godfrey. teams do this crap all the time. the only leverage they have is to hold out.

Sure it is TO's right to hold out....but one year after signing the contract? One year after the BS that went on in San Fran and Baltimore? You cannot tell me that he did not know his value when he signed that contract.

I hope he gets over himself and plays, because McNabb to TO is a beautiful thing.

If not I hope they eat his salary and starve him.