[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Altering your draft strategy from years past

EZDoesit

I couldn't get to a draft, acouple years back. Sent my wife with a cheatsheet list of players. Told her to simply pick the best available player on the list, regardless of position.

Won the championship that year.

896335[/snapback]

This man knows how to pick a wife. BRAVO!!!

I'm aiming to draft players that I actually use ... Despite my zest for the "Trader Jack" role, it's exhausting -- year 1, I traded or waived 16 of the 16 players I drafted ... last year, 15 of 18 went away at some point in the year. I've finished 4th and 2nd in a 14 team league ... Now, I'd like to see if I can't nail 6 core starters in the draft and then just shuffle around them on my way to the championship. Key here is solid top picks at RB, RB, QB and then some randomness and then a return to solid movement through IDP, K, DEF before some more randomness.

Hmm, I'm currently toying with idea of grabbing your TEs early - obviously, you want the best talent available, but if it comes down to a tier 2 QB and your #2 WR with RBs and WR1 filled, bogarting TWO of the top 6 or so in a shallow pool gives you that much more of an edge.

I've done this a couple times already and it's worked out pretty well, though I did get called an ass hole by several leaguemates on each occasion.

898254[/snapback]

I get your point. I followed that plan last year going early with Heap (4th rnd), of course Heap had an odd year and was out most of the year so that plan didt work for me

In my other annual league I chose Crumpler in the 7th and Gates in the 10th. I lucked out with Gates and he became my starter over Crump by week 4.

Guess sometimes its a crapshoot...Gonzo and Gates are pretty solid 1s and 2s for this year's TE pool, but I dont think Crump and McMichael wont be too far behind this year.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Manning is going to piss off everyone who drafts him this year....not that he's going to have a BAD year, it's just when he falls back to his 35-40 td range, everyone is going to whine about it. Mark my words.  :D

896609[/snapback]

That's my thinking too, that Manning will be far better throwing the ball than any other QB in the league, but that once you factor in rushing yardage and TDs that other guys can get you, the fantasy gap closes a lot. I have no doubt that Peyton COULD get another 49 TD season, but thats like saying that I have no doubt that Ladainian Tomlinson COULD rack up 2500 yards and 25 TDs. Great players generally have great games, but still, I think that for an established player like Manning, it's better to look at the average of his stats over the last 3-4 years.

"When I first started I would try to draft at least one stud per position before I would try to draft backups, or my second RB, etc. Then I went to a value based drafting strategy where I would draft based on the value of the players on my list when my time came to draft. The problem with this is that sometimes I would overstock some positions (rb and wr), and be begging for scraps later at qb, te, and defense."

I never draft strictly for value, because there is no guarantee you will find a trading partner who is both interested in one of your bench studs, AND who has something you need. At my draft, I look to go against the flow; never get caught up in runs. Also, I pay close attention to players' bye weeks, because drafting without creating any major bye-week conflicts will save you alot of headaches later on. Again, no assumptions that I will find someone willing to swap me QBs or RBs for bye week purposes.

The strategy that has brought me the most success? Draft kickers in the last two rounds. Picking the best kickers from year to year is nearly impossible, so why do it earlier than you need to, when you could be drafting a #4 RB or #4 WR who will be a key player later on?

My strategy is mainly based on my draft position. I've noticed at year's end my team does better if I draft near the end. think getting a tier #2 RB and tier #1 WR has helped me tremendously. Last year, had Harrison,Walker,D.Branch(dropped for Burleson when injured)and took a flyer on Clayton for the 4th spot. Rudi was RB. Traded for Mcgehee in wk.3. usually hold until later rounds for a TE(mandatory). But the BIGGEST THING IS TO STAY SOBER and watch/predict the needs of the others when drafting. Try to stay away from joining runs on postions.

My solemn pledge for this year's auction:

I refuse to get caught in a bidding war :D when a player's price exceeds my budgeted value. Last year I did this with Ahman Green because my brother egged me on to not let some one else beat me out. My competitiveness/ego got in the way and I blew 54% of my salary cap on one player. Dumb, dumb, dumb... :D

Other than that, I will draft for depth and a more well-rounded team, not so top heavy. :D

The strategy that has brought me the most success?  Draft kickers in the last two rounds.  Picking the best kickers from year to year is nearly impossible, so why do it earlier than you need to, when you could be drafting a #4 RB or #4 WR who will be a key player later on?

899721[/snapback]

GENIOUS!

Now tell everyone something they don't know.... :D

My drafting rules that I try to abide by:

1) Never waste picks to handcuff players

2) Don't skip over lots of great players just to avoid bye weeks. But it's OK to skip someone like Torry Holt to nab someone like Chad Johnson, since they are closely projected.

3) Don't take sleepers earlier than you have to. They will be there in the later rounds.

4) Even if it's a keeper league, draft on proven results over possible future output. An example would be taking Tiki over all the rookie RB's.

5) Go with your gut later in the draft instead of earlier

6) Always be checking out other players draft picks and try to figure out if you can take a player you want a round later than you expected.

7) Never stock up in the hopes of trading later. Draft your own team instead of drafting someone elses.

So, are you saying in your leagues, no one drafts a kicker prior to the last two rounds?

899956[/snapback]

Well, every FF mag and site tells you that, and I certainly don't draft kickers before the last couple rounds.