[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Altering your draft strategy from years past

EZDoesit

Going to do far less preparation for my drafts this year....I feel that I tend to overanalyze during my draft preparations.

Going to certainly make a list of sleepers and try to get one or two, but going to try and shoot from the hip and go best player available this year and see how it works out......anybody else ? :D

Going to do far less preparation for my drafts this year....I feel that I tend to overanalyze during my draft preparations. 

Going to certainly make a list of sleepers and try to get one or two, but going to try and shoot from the hip and go best player available this year and see how it works out......anybody else ?  :D

895522[/snapback]

I tried that last year. Didn't work to well for me so I'm gogin back to overanalyzing. :D

When I first started I would try to draft at least one stud per position before I would try to draft backups, or my second RB, etc.

Then I went to a value based drafting strategy where I would draft based on the value of the players on my list when my time came to draft. The problem with this is that sometimes I would overstock some positions (rb and wr), and be begging for scraps later at qb, te, and defense.

This year I will probably do more of a combo, with a slight slant toward my original plan. I have won championships using both methods, so it is hard to say which is better.

I wouldn't wing it too much.

Last year, I could tell who was winging it and it did not work out so well for them. This is especially true in a live draft, where the other coaches will tear you apart.

I wouldn't wing it too much. 

Last year, I could tell who was winging it and it did not work out so well for them.  This is especially true in a live draft, where the other coaches will tear you apart.

895682[/snapback]

in my league...I can wing it and still do better...

I do think the RB plateau drops off after the top 5 or so and after that I'm not sure anybody knows who's gonna wind up in the 6-11 range come season's end... Guys like Jamal Lewis and Kev Jones could wind up #3 overall or #15... So I may grab a top tier WR before my 2nd RB this year, just have to wait and see how it plays out...

In broad strokes, I will be doing the same thing I do every year, and that has generally worked pretty well for me--take the player who I think will give me the biggest differential in points over the guy I can draft for that spot in later rounds.

More specifically, my spot this year is one where I can potentially get in on the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, but for the moment I am thinking that I will pass on Peyton and get a running back, and then go with Donovan McNabb or Daunte Culpepper in the second round.

Of course, my thinking may change by the time the actual draft rolls around.

In broad strokes, I will be doing the same thing I do every year, and that has generally worked pretty well for me--take the player who I think will give me the biggest differential in points over the guy I can draft for that spot in later rounds.

More specifically, my spot this year is one where I can potentially get in on the Peyton Manning sweepstakes, but for the moment I am thinking that I will pass on Peyton and get a running back, and then go with Donovan McNabb or Daunte Culpepper in the second round.

Of course, my thinking may change by the time the actual draft rolls around.

896258[/snapback]

Manning is going to piss off everyone who drafts him this year....not that he's going to have a BAD year, it's just when he falls back to his 35-40 td range, everyone is going to whine about it. Mark my words. :D

Guest THEbigred

pf - Manning will be lucky to get 35.

I'm going to emphasize QBs more in our all TDs are 6 pts auction league. I stupidly over-emphasized the "you can get respectable QBs later" theory and picked up Maddox and Gannon late. d'oh.

I'm going to look at WRs a little closer and try to come out with at least one stud. I never seem to get the position right.

Last year with H. Ward, S. Moss, R. Williams, and D. Jackson. I thought I had finally got a good set. Oh well, at least DJax showed up in the second half of the season.

Will work on WR a lil earlier. Having 4-5 teir 3 or worse is a weekly lineup headache

895679[/snapback]

Yea this has been my problem for the last two years two. I always get stuck with Stallworth or someone who is as injury prone as him as my 2nd WR. I also got busted with Charles Rogers too. Talk about a unlucky break.

I couldn't get to a draft, acouple years back. Sent my wife with a cheatsheet list of players. Told her to simply pick the best available player on the list, regardless of position.

Won the championship that year.

896335[/snapback]

Yeah, I've heard of guys like you. Sending your wife to a live draft in a skimpy skirt. She came back home with LT, SA, Peyton, Moss, TO, and Gonzo. Don't ask, don't tell.

Yeah, I've heard of guys like you.  Sending your wife to a live draft in a skimpy skirt.  She came back home with LT, SA, Peyton, Moss, TO, and Gonzo.  Don't ask, don't tell.

896906[/snapback]

I am going to wait a little longer before drafting TEs this season in TE mandatory leagues. This year there seems to be more depth at the position. There are 2 elite TEs (Gonzalez, Gates) and 4-6 solid starters (Crumpler, Witten, Shockey, McMichael (if he's not in jail), Clark, Wiggins)

The top 2 are going in the 3rd but I think this year its better to wait until the 7th or 8th round and land a solid TE like Crumpler, Witten, Shockey or McMicheal. Any one of these 4 could end up putting up real solid numbers this year.

I am going to wait a little longer before drafting TEs this season in TE mandatory leagues.  This year there seems to be more depth at the position.  There are 2 elite TEs (Gonzalez, Gates) and 4-6 solid starters (Crumpler, Witten, Shockey, McMichael (if he's not in jail), Clark, Wiggins)

The top 2 are going in the 3rd but I think this year its better to wait until the 7th or 8th round and land a solid TE like Crumpler, Witten, Shockey or McMicheal.  Any one of these 4 could end up putting up real solid numbers this year.

897698[/snapback]

Hmm, I'm currently toying with idea of grabbing your TEs early - obviously, you want the best talent available, but if it comes down to a tier 2 QB and your #2 WR with RBs and WR1 filled, bogarting TWO of the top 6 or so in a shallow pool gives you that much more of an edge.

I've done this a couple times already and it's worked out pretty well, though I did get called an ass hole by several leaguemates on each occasion.