[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bettis

pedroz13

I know this is all about Bettis and Pittsburgh right now....I get that. From what I gather Bettis is going to be in the Hall of Fame. Anyone disagree? After looking at his stats throughout his career, 1993, 1996 ande 1997 were the only years he was above 1400 yards. Those were very solid years. The rest seems to be pretty average. I understand he did it for a LONG time, but is that really enough to get in the Hall? I mean being a very good player for a long time doesn't equate to being a GREAT player (which is what the Hall is reserved for)...does it? I know he is a fan favorite, which apparently carries weight as far as the Hall goes.

I know he is a fan favorite, which apparently carries weight as far as the Hall goes.

1292606[/snapback]

If that was even partly true Ray Guy would have been in a long long time ago.

On topic: He will probably go in on longevity alone. After so long you have to accrue stats and move up the lists..... he has done that.

If that was even partly true Ray Guy would have been in a long long time ago.

On topic: He will probably go in on longevity alone. After so long you have to accrue stats and move up the lists..... he has done that.

1292612[/snapback]

Sorry...I should have stated that I thought that might carry weight as far as Hall voting goes. I wasn't really sure if it did or not.

He seems like a nice enough fellow (if a little dull witted) but he always seemed to just be a vulture, picking up TDs on short runs a la TJ Duckett. He has hung around for a long time though, specially for a power RB.

EDIT: Lookee here. He only averaged > 4 ypc 4 of 13 years.

Edited by MojoMan

Well look at it this way. Of the top 15 or so all-time rushers, the only guys that aren't in the HOF are still active players (excluding Thomas, who is 1st ballot this year and Smith, who isn't eligible yet but will be a shoe-in for 1st ballot). I think the guy at #4 has a pretty good shot.

He has been average his whole career, outside of maybe 2 seasons. Lets put it this way if he was a Cowboy he wouldnt, because of some BS bias that held Rayfield Wright, Bob Hayes and other worthy Cowboys out for so long. Pitt went to 5 Sbs and have too many people in the Hall. Dallas has been to 8, and won 5, and have considerabley less. How can you say Irvin isnt, but Swan is when the numbers are so lopsided in Irvins favor. Irvin was the heart of the Cowboys on the field, but a joke off of it, Ill give you that. But the Hall is suppose to be about what you did on the field. Irvin should have been a 1st ballot guy , but was held out. There is rumblings Aikman may not get in this yr, what kind of BS is that.

Bettis will get in because of longevity. Is Jamal Lewis a Hall of Famer. He has as many solid seasons as Bettis, just played less years to date. See my point.... He will get in whether he deserves it or not, but he certainly doesnt deserve it.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Bettis will get in because of longevity.  Is Jamal Lewis a Hall of Famer.  He has as many solid seasons as Bettis, just played less years to date.  See my point....  He will get in whether he deserves it or not, but he certainly doesnt deserve it.

1292677[/snapback]

This is what I was thinking as well. I mean if the Hall of Fame just means 'total career yards' then I guess he should be in. I think however that the Hall should be reserved for the absolute best players at their position. Bettis was never that impressive. He may have the career yards to get in, but he isn't even in the same sentence as the all time great RBs. Just because he has played solid football for 13 years shouldn't mean he gets in the Hall. He may have passed Jim Brown, but Jim Brown was an amazing RB who just happened to play in far less seasons than most of the other RBs.

Bettis is a first ballot HOFer.

So is Curtis Martin.

1293466[/snapback]

Bettis will definitely be a first-ballot HOFer if the Steelers win the SB. If not, it's possible that he might have to wait a couple of years (a lot of it depends on who else is eligible when they are). But both he and C-Mart will definitely get in at some point and it's likely that they will both be first-ballot guys. Both have played a LONG time, are great teammates, and great people.

Bettis' career

4th all-time in rushes

5th all-time in rushing yds

8th (t) all-time in rushing TDs

12th all-time in yards from scrimmage

Marin's career

3rd all-time in rushes

4th all-time in rushing yds

10th all-time in rushing TDs

7th all-time in yards from scrimmage

Wow...

Edited by Bill Swerski

You can't deny him with those numbers. But if you look at them a bit, you can't avoid the "longevity" stigma.

He's been in the league for 13 years. He's only been in the top 10 in rushing yards 5 times (2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 9th, 9th).

He's been in the top 10 in rushing TDs four times (9th, 6th, 4th, 10th)

And his playoff numbers have been pretty pedestrian:

1996  ind  W,42-14  |   25   102   2  |    1     4   01996  nwe  L,3-28   |   13    43   0  |    2    -1   01997  nwe  W,7-6    |   25    67   0  |    1     7   01997  den  L,21-24  |   23   105   1  |    1     3   02001  nwe  L,17-24  |    9     8   1  |    0     0   02002  cle  W,36-33  |    1    -2   0  |    0     0   02002  ten  L,31-34  |    3     6   0  |    0     0   02004  nyj  W,20-17  |   27   101   1  |    1    21   02004  nwe  L,27-41  |   17    64   1  |    0     0   02005  cin  W,31-17  |   10    52   1  |    0     0   02005  ind  W,21-18  |   17    46   1  |    0     0   02005  den  W,34-17  |   15    39   1  |    0     0   0

So, as far as HOF inductees go, I think that he is pretty lackluster.

You can't deny him with those numbers.  But if you look at them a bit, you can't avoid the "longevity" stigma.

He's been in the league for 13 years.  He's only been in the top 10 in rushing yards 5 times (2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 9th, 9th). 

He's been in the top 10 in rushing TDs four times (9th, 6th, 4th, 10th)

And his playoff numbers have been pretty pedestrian:

1996  ind  W,42-14  |   25   102   2  |    1     4   01996  nwe  L,3-28   |   13    43   0  |    2    -1   01997  nwe  W,7-6    |   25    67   0  |    1     7   01997  den  L,21-24  |   23   105   1  |    1     3   02001  nwe  L,17-24  |    9     8   1  |    0     0   02002  cle  W,36-33  |    1    -2   0  |    0     0   02002  ten  L,31-34  |    3     6   0  |    0     0   02004  nyj  W,20-17  |   27   101   1  |    1    21   02004  nwe  L,27-41  |   17    64   1  |    0     0   02005  cin  W,31-17  |   10    52   1  |    0     0   02005  ind  W,21-18  |   17    46   1  |    0     0   02005  den  W,34-17  |   15    39   1  |    0     0   0

So, as far as HOF inductees go, I think that he is pretty lackluster.

1293495[/snapback]

Exactly.

He has been average his whole career, outside of maybe 2 seasons.  Lets put it this way if he was a Cowboy he wouldnt, because of some BS bias that held Rayfield Wright, Bob Hayes and other worthy Cowboys out for so long.  Pitt went to 5 Sbs and have too many people in the Hall.  Dallas has been to 8, and won 5, and have considerabley less.  How can you say Irvin isnt, but Swan is when the numbers are so lopsided in Irvins favor.  Irvin was the heart of the Cowboys on the field, but a joke off of it, Ill give you that. But the Hall is suppose to be about what you did on the field.  Irvin should have been a 1st ballot guy , but was held out.  There  is rumblings Aikman may not get in this yr, what kind of BS is that.

Bettis will get in because of longevity.  Is Jamal Lewis a Hall of Famer.  He has as many solid seasons as Bettis, just played less years to date.  See my point....  He will get in whether he deserves it or not, but he certainly doesnt deserve it.

1292677[/snapback]

Aikman was a mediocre Qb, only way he gets into HOF is by his skills at handing the ball off.

I'm not going to respond to any of the posts, because I'm trying to be the new me :D One of the most impressive things about Bettis has been his longevity. Running Backs normally don't have real long careers, and big running backs, with their bruising style, usually don't even make it through 5 years. Longevity will be a big reason why Bettis gets into the Hall of Fame, and I have no problem with that. He is not a 2000 yard a year type back, but, when he was in his prime, he was extremely consistent, and one of the main reasons that the Steelers have remained so consistent as a team through the years. I know this has no bearing on getting into the Hall of Fame, but, Jerome Bettis is all class on and off the field. I've never seen a player more respected by his teammates, coaches, local media, and fans. That doesn't happen by accident. The Steelers are not going to be the same without the Bus.

Jerome Bettis is all class on and off the field. 

1294931[/snapback]

You seem to consider yourself quite the expert in "Class". He's such a class act that after a strong one yard scamper, he'll get up and beat his chest and bounce around like he just won the SB. Hand the ball to the ref and get back in the huddle Mr. Classy.....You Menudo are so blinded by your homerism it's ugly...... :D

Guest THEbigred
He's a compiler.  Just hanging around.

The excuse they use to keep Art Monk out but Bettis will get in.

I don't follow the logic  :D

1293964[/snapback]

There is none. Or not much worth mentioning anyway, as the HOF is slowly (?) but surely becoming a joke, just like the Pro Bowl has been for some time. Kind of like half the posts in this thread.

When D Sanders gets in (the CB who couldn't tackle), the joke will be complete.

I really don't even give a flip about the HOF any more.

You seem to consider yourself quite the expert in "Class". He's such a class act that after a strong one yard scamper, he'll get up and beat his chest and bounce around like he just won the SB. Hand the ball to the ref and get back in the huddle Mr. Classy.....You Menudo are so blinded by your homerism it's ugly...... :D

1296818[/snapback]

Yes, I am the only person that respects Jerome Bettis. :D

Imagine this.....

Superbowl ExtraLarge

Seattle 21 Pittsburgh 23

4th quarter; 0:34 remaining

Pittsburgh has the ball on the Seattle 7.

2nd down.

Bettis off tackle.

Bettis loses the ball.

Bettis LOSES the ball.

BETTIS LAYS THE BALL ON THE GROUND.

Tatupu picks up the rock.

Running

Midfield

The 30

The 20

Hines Ward with the ankle tackle.

Bettis slinks off field. Seattle fans going wild.

Seattle runs a couple of plays.

0:03 remaining.

Josh Brown kicks a 38 yard field goal to win the game.

Does Bettis get into the HoF?

Those numbers shink up pretty fast?

More realistically, if Indy runs back his fumble 2 1/2 weeks ago...and he retires...does he make the HoF?