[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Steelers - Seahawks

untateve

i dont think steelers fans can legitimately argue this point.

1308759[/snapback]

The only penalty that really stopped a Seattle drive was the holding call when Stevens caught the ball at the one.... and I admit that was a huge play in the game... but it was a judgement call.... not a totally blown call as some have said.

Dude got beat enough that he had to get into a position where a judgment holding call could be made and it was.... had the call not been made, I certainly wouldn't be sitting here bitching about it.

And after that penalty, the Steelers got a sack, the Seattle inexplicably ran Alexander on 2nd and 30 or whatever, then Hass threw his terrible pick. So again, Pitt was helped by the judgement call, but they also made the plays after that call and Seattle didnt.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

:D  hasselbeck's pick should have never happened. The holding call on Locklear was brutal- I do not care what anyone says- Sea takes the lead after that and it is a completely different game.  Sea blew chance after chance- agreeed, but the refs, and Sea self destructing stopped the Sea offense- not the Pitt D.

1308773[/snapback]

No, it was just a horrible pass. Thrown way too short.

The only penalty that really stopped a Seattle drive was the holding call when Stevens caught the ball at the one

1308779[/snapback]

Granted, I had a few beers during the game, but I'm pretty sure there was more than one penalty that severly effected a Seattle drive.

But not so impressive if the phantom hold that kept the Seahawks from the 2 yardline wouldn't have been called. That would have meant, no interception.

And not so impressive had the flag come out at the LOS on the Parker TD.

1308774[/snapback]

Seattle's O-line was holding all day. They'd already gotten flagged for it at least once (maybe twice, IIRC) in the first half. I didn't see a flagrant hold on the Parker TD. It was one of three big plays that Seattle's D gave up.

Granted, I had a few beers during the game, but I'm pretty sure there was more than one penalty that severly effected a Seattle drive.

1308789[/snapback]

I watched the game again this morning, and the only two flags that I think affected the game were the PI and the hold I mentioned. Both were judgement calls that went against Seattle, but both were not blatantly wrong. And again, this stems from my feeling that you can't blame the officials for the outcome of the game as untateve described better than I did. It's bothersome to me that the refs are being blamed for the lose.

::D  You're smarter than that.. i think  :D

1308794[/snapback]

As I said, you are essentially complaining that you wanted the officials to "let them play" on the holding call against Seattle... so you should leave the non-holding call on the Parker TD alone because that dilutes your "let them play" argument.

Seattle's O-line was holding all day.  They'd already gotten flagged for it at least once (maybe twice, IIRC) in the first half.  I didn't see a flagrant hold on the Parker TD.  It was one of three big plays that Seattle's D gave up.

1308792[/snapback]

Not buying it- so Pitt has zero holding calls?? Every call came when Sea either had great field position, or was in a position to score. Warrick's nice punt return?? forgot about that one- another horrrible call. Honestly- I normally do not blame officials but in this game, it was fairly obvious they affected the outcome.

After watching the game as objective as I could, here is what I came up with:

1. The DJax PI call was weak. It should have been a TD. Yes, he pushed him

lightly, but, that is almost never called.

2. Ben's TD run was simply too close to call on replay, as you can't clearly see

where the ball was when he was in the air. The call stood due to the fact

that it was called a TD on the field and there was nothing conclusive to change

it. Even if they don't get it, the Steeler have it 4th and 1/28th of a yard, and

I like there chances there.

3. The hold call on the pass to Stevens down to the 2 was bogus. Should not have

been called.

4. The illegal block on Hasselbeck was a poor call as well. Not sure how much of

an impact those 15 yards would have made, but it was a bad call.

5. I saw no clear holding on the Willie Parker run and I watched it several times.

Fact is, the calls did go against Seattle. The two biggest impact ones were the DJAX PI and the hold that eventually led to the Hass INT. There is no question, it would have been a different game, and I do understand why the Seahawks are frustrated. However, there is nothing saying that the Seahawks would have won if they weren't called, but, sadly, as many said, we will never know.

As much as this sucks for Seahawk fans, it also sucks for Steeler fans. I'm not going to call the victory tarnished, because calls happen, but I wish they would have won it without the controversy. It is also taking away from what the Steelers accomplished over the last 4 weeks. It might have been the most impressive run ever to get to the Super Bowl.

In a sense, I'm glad Ben played a bit poorly despite the win. It gives him something still there to prove. If he had dominated that game, he would have reached the pinnacle a little too quickly in his career, which may have been dangerous. I saw someone call Roethlisberger over-rated, that simply is not true. He played a God-Awful game, but played flawless in the playoffs to get them there.

All in all, I'm ready to move on and enjoy what I've been waiting for a long time, but there is an underlying sadness that the controversies marred this game.

As I said, you are essentially complaining that you wanted the officials to "let them play" on the holding call against Seattle... so you should leave the non-holding call on the Parker TD alone because that dilutes your "let them play" argument.

1308808[/snapback]

unless his argument is "however you call it, CALL IT BOTH WAYS", in which case his argument is not diluted one bit.

1.  The DJax PI call was weak.  It should have been a TD.  Yes, he pushed him

2.  Ben's TD run was simply too close to call on replay, as you can't clearly see

where the ball was when he was in the air.  The call stood due to the fact

it.  Even if they don't get it, the Steeler have it 4th and 1/28th of a yard, and

3.  The hold call on the pass to Stevens down to the 2 was bogus.  Should not have

been called.

4.  The illegal block on Hasselbeck was a poor call as well.  Not sure how much of

5.  I saw no clear holding on the Willie Parker run and I watched it several times.

Fact is, the calls did go against Seattle.  The two biggest impact ones were the DJAX PI and the hold that eventually led to the Hass INT.  There is no question, it would have been a different game, and I do understand why the Seahawks are frustrated.  However, there is nothing saying that the Seahawks would have won if they weren't called, but, sadly, as many said, we will never know.

As much as this sucks for Seahawk fans, it also sucks for Steeler fans.  I'm not going to call the victory tarnished, because calls happen, but I wish they would have won it without the controversy.  It is also taking away from what the Steelers accomplished over the last 4 weeks.  It might have been the most impressive run ever to get to the Super Bowl.

In a sense, I'm glad Ben played a bit poorly despite the win.  It gives him something still there to prove.  If he had dominated that game, he would have reached the pinnacle a little too quickly in his career, which may have been dangerous.  I saw someone call Roethlisberger over-rated, that simply is not true.  He played a God-Awful game, but played flawless in the playoffs to get them there. 

All in all, I'm ready to move on and enjoy what I've been waiting for a long time, but there is an underlying sadness that the controversies marred this game.

1308840[/snapback]

I knew you'd come around. This should have been your first post last night.

2.  Ben's TD run was simply too close to call on replay, as you can't clearly see

it.  Even if they don't get it, the Steeler have it 4th and 1/28th of a yard, and

they'd been stuffed the two plays prior to that and, arguably, roeth was stuffed on 3rd as well.

3.  The hold call on the pass to Stevens down to the 2 was bogus.  Should not have

been called.

3a. the refs also missed a clear offsides on this play, and two plays later when hampton (?) had the sack.  there's another 15 yard and one down swing, putting seattle in 3rd and close to 30.  leading hass to feel like he had to force it and throwing the pick

4.  The illegal block on Hasselbeck was a poor call as well.  Not sure how much of

well, as madden and michaels reminded us several times, the steelers only run their "gadgets" once they've got good field position, around midfield.  that totally bogus call on hass put them there, and they scored on a gadget a couple plays later.  so, i'd say pretty big imapct there.

5.  I saw no clear holding on the Willie Parker run and I watched it several times.

i really didnt see holding there either :D

Fact is, the calls did go against Seattle. 

yup

1308840[/snapback]

Edited by Azazello1313

I knew you'd come around.  This should have been your first post last night.

1308858[/snapback]

I'm a little more reasonable today without the case of Iron City in me......

been called.

Fact is, the calls did go against Seattle.  The two biggest impact ones were the DJAX PI and the hold that eventually led to the Hass INT.  There is no question, it would have been a different game, and I do understand why the Seahawks are frustrated.  However, there is nothing saying that the Seahawks would have won if they weren't called, but, sadly, as many said, we will never know.

As much as this sucks for Seahawk fans, it also sucks for Steeler fans.  I'm not going to call the victory tarnished, because calls happen, but I wish they would have won it without the controversy.  It is also taking away from what the Steelers accomplished over the last 4 weeks.  It might have been the most impressive run ever to get to the Super Bowl.

In a sense, I'm glad Ben played a bit poorly despite the win.  It gives him something still there to prove.  If he had dominated that game, he would have reached the pinnacle a little too quickly in his career, which may have been dangerous.  I saw someone call Roethlisberger over-rated, that simply is not true.  He played a God-Awful game, but played flawless in the playoffs to get them there. 

1308840[/snapback]

:D

this is all that was expected last night.

and yes. still over rated :D:D

Menudo- honestly- this should not take away from your Steelers winning SB XL- Seriously, take the win, I would. - I am not saying Sea would have won, we will never know- I am just pissed that it wasn't an even playing field, a fairly officiated game- the refs should be invisible, and not be THE STORY. This is nothing against Pitt or Steeler fans at all. I have said many times- the Poly int against Indy falls in the same BS category- another agenda/bias that is ruining the games. There were just way too many BS calls at crucial times.

Menudo- honestly- this should not take away from your Steelers winning SB XL- Seriously, take the win, I would. - I am not saying Sea would have won, we will  never know- I am just pissed that it wasn't an even playing field, a fairly officiated game- the refs should be invisible, and not be THE STORY. This is nothing against Pitt or Steeler fans at all.  I have said many times- the Poly int against Indy falls in the same BS category- another agenda/bias that is ruining the games.  There were just way too many BS calls at crucial times.

1308894[/snapback]

Watching the game again sober, I completely understand the Seahawks fans frustrations, and I would be frustrated as well. The shame of it is that if you take away those calls, despite the fact that nearly team played particularly well, we might have been in for a memorable finish.

I'm not going to feel guilty about the Steelers victory, but, after watching the game again today, I understand the Seahawks fans frustrations. Don't worry, your team will be back, and they showed class prior to and after the game. :D

I think Hasselbeck's interception and Seattle's missed Field Goals (and the ensuing field position) had more to do with Seattle's loss than the "bad calls".  Hasselbeck played a very good game, but his mistakes cost the Seahawks more than Big Ben's mistakes hurt the Steelers.  This game was a good game; the calls did not turn it into a traveshamockery.

1308179[/snapback]

Well said. I thought there were questionable calls -- but cries of "Cheating" and "Conspiracy" and "Didn't deserve it" are infantile.

I think Hasselbeck's interception and Seattle's missed Field Goals (and the ensuing field position) had more to do with Seattle's loss than the "bad calls".  Hasselbeck played a very good game, but his mistakes cost the Seahawks more than Big Ben's mistakes hurt the Steelers.  This game was a good game; the calls did not turn it into a traveshamockery.

1308179[/snapback]

The interception and the first missed field goal were direct results of bad calls.

been called.

1308840[/snapback]

:D

Congrats on your superbowl victory Menudo. you guys did what noone else ever did ,and it stinks that instead of talking about great plays we have to talk about officiating.

while i can't find it in my heart to give the steelers credit for what happened on the field yesterday, i give them a TON of credit for their romp through the AFC playoffs. that was awesome indeed. they don't have much to hang their heads over, and i'm sure the champagne still tastes very sweet, as it should.

Edited by Azazello1313

Not buying it- so Pitt has zero holding calls?? Every call came when Sea either had great field position, or was in a position to score. 

1308813[/snapback]

So, are you implying that the game was fixed? :D

Warrick's nice punt return?? forgot about that one- another horrrible call.  Honestly- I normally do not blame officials but in this game, it was fairly obvious they affected the outcome.

There's no doubt that some bad calls went against Seattle last night, but you're starting to claim that just about every penalty against Seattle was bogus. Sorry, but that's just not the case. I saw at least two holds by Seattle O-linemen in the first half. I imagine there's a lot that I didn't see.

The bottom line is that Seattle's defense gave up way too many big plays, while their offense didn't make enough of them.

been called.

1308840[/snapback]

Excellent post. Outstanding. I have not read any of the rest of the thread, as I really do have to get back to work, something about them cutting the Gas off. Now add to this post, the fact that no matter what, Seattle could have taken control of the game if not for the dropped passes, time management and other mistakes.

The real issue here is that $ Billions are spent on the NFL every year. The people, who pay that tab, deserve a better product in the super bowl. No matter how many luxury boxes are sold, or how high the ticket prices get, the NFL still has to have the TV revenue. They have to pay at least some attention to what the average fan thinks or wants.