[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now that it is all over...

Skrappy1

Is The Bus a Hall of Famer?

He is 5th all-time in rushing yards, and is tied with Franco Harris for 8th all-time in rushing TDs. He's very well respected around the NFL and generally regarded as a swell guy. Still, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't feel like Bettis was ever truly a dominant player, or one of the top RBs of his era. I do think that the numbers he compiled will get him inducted, I just was wondering what others thought on the subject?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First ballot.

1311743[/snapback]

::D

1311750[/snapback]

The question was will he get in....... I said he will get in on his first ballot.....gee sorry for stating my opinion. :D

nope, he's played forever. Longevity is great, but he never led the league in rushing.

In 6 of his 13 years, he DID NOT break 1000 yards!!!!

He only had double digit TD's in 2 seasons!!!!

A solid pro and college player, but not a HOF.

He's a Steeler, so he'll probably get in.

nope, he's played forever.  Longevity is great, but he never led the league in rushing. 

He's a Steeler, so he'll probably get in.

1311765[/snapback]

exactly, look beyond the stats for a minute...the guy never dominated...not a worthy HOFer, just a really good player for a number of years...

anyone that thinks otherwise is just a homer

I don't see how you keep a guy that's #5 all time, and broke Jim Brown's benchmark out of the hall. If it was easy to do either of those, more would have done it in the past 80 years.

You can nitpick his stats all you want, but it just comes across as hating - for no good reason.

CMartin should get in as well. You guys bagging on Bus want to keep him out as well?

exactly, look beyond the stats for a minute...the guy never dominated...not a worthy HOFer, just a really good player for a number of years...

1311771[/snapback]

Maybe, but the hall of fame is a popularity contest and Bettis is a lock.

He will get in. The better question is should he? I really don't know the answer to that. He is what I would call an accumulator. He never had what you would really call a stand out season. He never led the league in any meaningful statistic as far as I know. He deserves respect for the quality of his character. He deserves respect for his committment to his team. Does he deserve to be in the HOF? I don't know. I won't have a fit if he doesn't get in, and I won't have a fit if he does get in. He is border line HOF material. The one thing I will say is Art Monk deserves the HOF more than he does, so Bettis should have to wait as long as Monk does.

The question was will he get in.......  I said he will get in on his first ballot.....gee sorry for stating my opinion.  :D

1311754[/snapback]

...he's played forever.  Longevity is great, but he never led the league in rushing. 

...so he'll probably get in.

1311765[/snapback]

Solid assessment. I agree with you, and with Menudo, I think that he will get in, I guess maybe a better question would have been is he HOF worthy?

He'll get in, just like Emmitt, because he hung around long enough to pad his stats.

1311768[/snapback]

I'm not a real big Emmitt fan either, but I don't think there's any question he is a HOF'er, and totally on a different level than Bettis as a player.

Maybe, but the hall of fame is a popularity contest and Bettis is a lock.

1311777[/snapback]

Couldn't have said it better myself (especially because I'm so long winded).

You can nitpick his stats all you want, but it just comes across as hating - for no good reason.

CMartin should get in as well. You guys bagging on Bus want to keep him out as well?

1311776[/snapback]

See this is one of the problems here...you try and have a civilized discussion and people start screaming that people are hating/bagging on people, blah, blah, blah. I haven't seen anyone yet "hate" on Bettis, or say, man Bettis SUCKED. He was no doubt a very solid player for a long time, and may be a great guy. That shouldn't necessarily get him enshrined in the Hall though.

FWIW, I think Martin has been a better player than Bettis, and he should get in. His overall numbers are better than Bettis' while playing in 24 less games. He is one of 2 players (Barry Sanders being the other) with over 1,000 yards rushing in his first 10 seasons. He's been an excellent receiving back, and he has won a rushing title. Again, not to slight Bettis, but Curtis has been a better player.

Edited by Skrappy1

All Pro a couple years, Pro Bowl a few years, now has a SB ring, was "THE" best big back in the game for many years (longevity for a big back is unheard of), has the stats to back it up, and is considered a great player by many of his peers, as well as a great embassador to the game.

Funny, on another message board, this question has been asked many times. It always came down to "he'll probably get in, but if he gets a SB ring, no doubt he will get in".

He's a lock.

1311771[/snapback]

Instead of looking "beyond the stats" why don't you simply take a closer look AT the stats. In his first 9 years, he was a beast. That's right, NINE years. He must have averaged over 1200 yds per season, and averaged close to 300 attempts per season. He was at or over 4.0 yds per carry. Now, I am not disputing that his last few seasons were a shell of his former self, but put it all together and the Bus probably should be a first ballot entree. And, no, I'm not a "homer". I'm also not going to let the emotion of the last few days taint the facts.