[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers Bring Arrington In

Guest Sores

LINKY

1414274[/snapback]

Neither of Arrington's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, was available for comment, but a National Football League source said Arrington visited with club officials Monday and left without a contract offer.

This could very possibly remain what it is now: a rumor. We all know if the player leaves town without a contract, odds are that's how it's gonna stay.

Guest Sores
This could very possibly remain what it is now: a rumor. We all know if the player leaves town without a contract, odds are that's how it's gonna stay.

1414280[/snapback]

It isn't a rumor that they brought him in. Nor is there a rumor that they signed him. Not sure where you are getting a rumor out of this?

:D

I'd say the Arrington visit is almost purely posturing -- getting us fans to believe TT is at least half-serious about using some of that cap space.

If they were to sign either Woodson or Arrington, though, I'd at least be impressed with Thompson's patience. Both of them would come at a much lower price than the guys who signed in the first week of FA and both would be solid contributors immediately.

Arrington might be a good fit for the scheme, actually. From what I understand, it's pretty simple, with very similar positional responsibilties from play to play. He could definitely take blockers away from Barnett.

Even though Hawk\Barnett\Arrington sounds pretty fn sexy, it would probably allow the Pack more options in the draft like trading down or going after Ferguson\Davis.

1414382[/snapback]

Yeah, adding Arrington and then Hawk would give us too many LBs.

Davis and Ferguson are quickly becoming my two favorite choices at #5. I'd still prefer to trade down with Denver to get a RB/WR or OL/RB combo.

By the way -- and nobody else is saying this -- but D'Brickashaw Ferguson would be DEVASTATING in a zone-blocking system. It's completely perfect for him (are the Texans paying attention?).

If he ended up in a zone-blocking scheme, he could completely change the way coaches use their LTs. I believe it was the OL coach at Virginia who said he would "revolutionize" the position.

John Clayton was saying this morning that it's possible they may move up to take Mario Williams if Arrington is signed. I don't see either happening though. GB just seems too apathetic to get any of this done.

John Clayton was saying this morning that it's possible they may move up to take Mario Williams if Arrington is signed. I don't see either happening though. GB just seems too apathetic to get any of this done.

1414426[/snapback]

He was just randomly pontificating about hypotheticals. There's no way the Packers are moving up to #2. They don't have enough picks to play with and Thompson is probably hating the idea of paying a rookie top-5 money. Taking on a Ronnie-Brown contract for an unproven player would give TT an aneurysm.

This would make sense if Favre were to retire. Their best course ro rebuild at this point would be to start on D: there are stronger D players available than OL which is their primary need. But putting a stiff D on the field to keep scores low would help to take some pressure off Rodgers to win games and make him more of a manager (see Kyle Orton) who could win 6-8 games.

The Jaguars remain in contention for former Pro Bowl linebacker LaVar Arrington but appear intent on waiting for his price to come down.

Arrington visited the Jaguars last month, and Jacksonville reportedly made an offer that included as much as $11 million in guaranteed money despite questions about the health of his knee.

The Miami Dolphins, New York Giants and Cincinnati Bengals also are pursuing Arrington.

"We've been in contact with his agent, and that's where it stands," Jaguars vice president of personnel James Harris said. "We've talked, but we have no agreement. It's a waiting game right now."

www.jacksonville.com

(free, but registration required, use www.bugmenot.com)

Looks like TT & the Pack at least know Arrington's floor. They're going to have to come up with around $11 million in guaranteed money, if they're serious about trying to sign Arrington.

Could ensd up being more, depending on what the other Arrington players are willing to offer.

This would make sense if Favre were to retire. Their best course ro rebuild at this point would be to start on D: there are stronger D players available than OL which is their primary need. But putting a stiff D on the field to keep scores low would help to take some pressure off Rodgers to win games and make him more of a manager (see Kyle Orton) who could win 6-8 games.

1414630[/snapback]

Umm, assuming you like Arrington as a player, doesn't it make sense whether Favre returns or not? He's good AND young, so he'd help both the present AND the future.

Packers | Favre's retirement could make team spend money

Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:31:26 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre's retirement could be a financial disaster, but in a different kind of way for the team. With his $3 million roster bonus and $7 million in salary, Favre would make $10 million this year if he plays. The Packers would save $10 million of cash if he doesn't, but that's not necessarily a good thing. The Packers have a payroll of around $76 million, but that doesn't include draft choices or any other free agent signings. Not having Favre would take the payroll down to $66 million. With the new collective bargaining agreement, teams must have a minimum cash payroll of $85.5 million, meaning the Packers would have to spend $19.5 million just to make the minimum. With the players remaining as free agents, the Packers would be hard pressed to spend the money they would need to.

I just kinda found this funny. Does seem like a Catch 22 though...

I just kinda found this funny. Does seem like a Catch 22 though...

1416080[/snapback]

Maybe somebody should send TT the memo, just in case. :D

Seriously, though, if Favre does retire, we all better hope that both Arrington and Woodson can be good for a LONG time, because they'd both be signing with the Packers for BIG money.

Maybe somebody should send TT the memo, just in case. :D

Seriously, though, if Favre does retire, we all better hope that both Arrington and Woodson can be good for a LONG time, because they'd both be signing with the Packers for BIG money.

1416209[/snapback]

Does anyone know Thompsons history of dealing with the Postons? Some Gm's deal with them, some don't.

Does anyone know Thompsons history of dealing with the Postons?  Some Gm's deal with them, some don't.

1418956[/snapback]

TT is the type not to overspend on big free agents.

The Postons are the type to demand huge, ridiculous contracts for their players.

I smell a sitcom! :D