[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Muhsin Muhammad

muck

I heard an interview on Sirius yesterday w/ Muhsin from camp.

He said he is down to 215lbs and 2.8% body fat ... he hired a trainer who really helped him with his diet ... plus, for the first time in his career he said he REALLY hit the weights hard this offseason. He said he feels stronger and faster than at any other time in his career.

Discuss.

I heard an interview on Sirius yesterday w/ Muhsin from camp.

He said he is down to 215lbs and 2.8% body fat ... he hired a trainer who really helped him with his diet ... plus, for the first time in his career he said he REALLY hit the weights hard this offseason. He said he feels stronger and faster than at any other time in his career.

Discuss.

I like him as a #3 if I can't get Horn or Mason...

2.8% body fat? That's just stupid. What's he trying to accomplish?

At 2.8% body fat, his skin is going to be thinner than a piece of tissue paper - and just as strong. His muscles and nerves will have lost a significant amount of the natural sheathing that fat provides also. If this is true, I'll be moving Muhammad down my draft list about 20-30 places - the guy is an injury waiting to happen.

At 2.8% body fat, his skin is going to be thinner than a piece of tissue paper - and just as strong. His muscles and nerves will have lost a significant amount of the natural sheathing that fat provides also. If this is true, I'll be moving Muhammad down my draft list about 20-30 places - the guy is an injury waiting to happen.

Yep... see David Boston.

Luckily I drafted him as my #3 WR. :D

Edgerrin James would always claim to have less than 2% body fat.

It didn't appear he missed the additional "sheathing". :D

link

Most sources agree that the human body requires a certain amount of fat for good health. Fat helps regulate body temperature, store energy, and cushion and insulate organs. The percentage of body weight that makes up this "essential fat" is around 4% of body weight for men and 10% for women. Beyond that, there's a somewhat wide range of what is considered a healthy percentage of body fat.

According to an article from Medscape.com, the American Dietetic Association recommends that men have 15-18% body fat and women have 20-25% body fat. Healthy male athletes might be as low as 5-12% body fat, and healthy female athletes could be as low as 10-20%.

Edited by Bronco Billy

link

Most sources agree that the human body requires a certain amount of fat for good health. Fat helps regulate body temperature, store energy, and cushion and insulate organs. The percentage of body weight that makes up this "essential fat" is around 4% of body weight for men and 10% for women. Beyond that, there's a somewhat wide range of what is considered a healthy percentage of body fat.

According to an article from Medscape.com, the American Dietetic Association recommends that men have 15-18% body fat and women have 20-25% body fat. Healthy male athletes might be as low as 5-12% body fat, and healthy female athletes could be as low as 10-20%.

please refrain from the use of actual facts. :D

"Most sources"?

4%-5% for men?

He's an elite athlete. At a position that requires speed. And he's at 2.8%, he says. Not anything to worry about. A lot of these guys brag about how low their body fat is. Edge did it. Dropping him "20-30 places if true" is laughable. What are you gonna do, run up with calipers and check him? How are you going to tell the difference between 2.8% and 4%? :D

Oh, Edge would sometimes say he had NEGATIVE body fat. Not sure how he figured that. Nobody said these guys were geniuses.

But I'm sure a personal trainer would not endanger his elite client's health. Not good for business.

Edited by CaptainHook

"Most sources"?

4%-5% for men?

He's an elite athlete. At a position that requires speed. And he's at 2.8%, he says. Not anything to worry about. A lot of these guys brag about how low their body fat is. Edge did it. Dropping him "20-30 places if true" is laughable. What are you gonna do, run up with calipers and check him? How are you going to tell the difference between 2.8% and 4%? :D

Good one!

If a pro athlete in a sport as violent and intense as football is verifiably carrying only 2.8% body fat, he's made his body significantly more vulnerable. He'll be more subject to deep muscle & organ bruising after violent contact, he'll be more fatigued, particularly in the 2nd half of games (and consequently is subject to a greater risk of injury), he'll be susceptible to bloody injuries as his subcutaneous level will be razor thin & more subject to significant tearing, and he'll have a difficult time maintaining proper body temperature as the game goes on.

So laugh all you want - if he's that committed to carrying minimal fat content on his body that ends up with him at an unhealthy level for the profession that he is in, he's a guy I don't want on my FF team for where he'll be going in FF drafts.

BTW - did a google search for James & body fat or body mass index & found nothing regarding any claim to having 2% or less body fat. Let me know if you can find something. TIA.

Wow! Muhammad really does have 2.8% body fat! Urlacher behind him looks like he lost a lot of weight, too. I love the new Bears' uniforms, too. Those will be very appealing playing in December & January in the upper Midwest.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Good one!

If a pro athlete in a sport as violent and intense as football is verifiably carrying only 2.8% body fat, he's made his body significantly more vulnerable. He'll be more subject to deep muscle & organ bruising after violent contact, he'll be more fatigued, particularly in the 2nd half of games (and consequently is subject to a greater risk of injury), he'll be susceptible to bloody injuries as his subcutaneous level will be razor thin & more subject to significant tearing, and he'll have a difficult time maintaining proper body temperature as the game goes on.

So laugh all you want - if he's that committed to carrying minimal fat content on his body that ends up with him at an unhealthy level for the profession that he is in, he's a guy I don't want on my FF team for where he'll be going in FF drafts.

BTW - did a google search for James & body fat or body mass index & found nothing regarding any claim to having 2% or less body fat. Let me know if you can find something. TIA.

I love guys who are experts on everything. I mean, you gotta know what you're talking about, you used the word "subcutaneous", right? :D

I think your are making a mountain out of a molehill here. If you really think having 1.2% body fat than some source says is acceptable is going to make him injury prone, have at it. But for this to be the sole reason to drop him is hilarious for many reasons:

1. He could be overstating his body fat levels. Just like most guys do with their weight. It sounds cool to say you have 2.8% body fat. It makes you sound like you're in great shape, and have trained all off-season.

2. He has a personal trainer guiding him. Certainly he knows more about what they are doing than internet message board guys.

3. You make it sound like his arm is going to fall off on his first hit. Muhammad has always been injury prone. Especially his hammy. Yet other guys in the NFL "say" they have very low body fat, and they do just fine.

BTW, Edge rarely gave print interviews. The info I gave was from the Indy Star beat reporter and Edge himself on various radio interviews. Edge too would usually make these comments around training camp. . .

I love guys who are experts on everything. I mean, you gotta know what you're talking about, you used the word "subcutaneous", right? :D

I'm not an expert in everything, nor have I ever claimed to be. I do know something about human physiology, though, through education and experience. And I'm sure as hell not trying to impress you - I'm just posting my opinion with some facts to back it up.

And as far as athletes intentionally not doing anything to jeopardize their careers? Should I make a list of top pro football players who DID do things to themselves that did jeopadize their careers? We could start with stupid self-infliction for amusement like Odell Thurman this year, or we could go back a few years & talk about guys like Lyle Alzado who stupidly did things that they thought would enhance their playing ability. To think that all pro football players optimize their own treatment their bodies because they don't want to negatively impact their careers is about the most naive thing I've seen posted here.

Now you just go on back to rolling your eyes, there, my friend. It sure enhances your position.

Good one!

Sounds like someone stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I'm just posting my opinion with some facts to back it up.

When you find that article on body fat's impact on injuries to NFL players, let me know. . .

Until then, you're just making a wild assumption with no statistical data or evidence to back it up.

Edited by CaptainHook

This just in:

Some doctors recommend you eat a lot of carrots. But Muhsin reported to camp stating that he categorically hates carrots. Thus, he will not have a good year because he is not eating carrots. Drop him in your rankings accordingly.

Edited by CaptainHook

he's a guy I don't want on my FF team for where he'll be going in FF drafts.

Ok in the huddle mock drafts he has gone:

12 team - 12th round

10 team - 12th round

12 team - 7th round

10 team - 9th round

12 team - 6th round

I just think there is a lot of potential to take Muhammad especially if you get him between the 8th & 12th round. But go ahead and make fun of his body fat and leave him to guys like me in the later rounds. I just think it is a good sign the he re-commited himself in the offseason when he had such a crappy year last year. I feel he will be closer to the 2004 Muhammad than the 2005 Muhammad.