[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Westbrook

Big Ernie McCracken

Where did you hear it was bone on bone????

I heard this on ESPN 2 Fantasy Football Show with Ron Joworski, et al, or whatever they call the show. This was the same show that reported Caddy with mulitple herniated disks. Take it for what it's worth. Since I haven't heard this from any other source, I'll take it with a grain of salt for the time being.

I heard this on ESPN 2 Fantasy Football Show with Ron Joworski, et al, or whatever they call the show. This was the same show that reported Caddy with mulitple herniated disks. Take it for what it's worth. Since I haven't heard this from any other source, I'll take it with a grain of salt for the time being.

Say it aint so...it would put a damper on my season... :D

That's what I have which means he has no meniscus. If this is true, I don't see how he can play until he gets surgery. Can you provide more info Av?

There isn't any existing medical procedure to replace a non-existant meniscus. That's why Curtis Martin has essentially retired. If it is bone on bone, its not good.

As a Philly homer I also agree with the OPINION that Moats and Buck will split time. Moats in Westbrook's role and Buck still getting 10 -15 carries. No link, just years of following the team and seeing and hearing what Reid does with his RBs.

That's what I have which means he has no meniscus. If this is true, I don't see how he can play until he gets surgery. Can you provide more info Av?

that's all I have so far...if you can, try to catch 'the fantasy show' on ESPN...there was a segment about this...

he assured that Westy would be fine though, he said he just wouldn't practice and would rest it plenty...

my advice is to trade Westy if he has a big game this week.....might as well get something for him while his value is inflated..

I don't see any point in grabbing a backup right now as it's not worth the roster space to roll the dice on someone that has a 50/50 shot of being the better performer of the 2...

There isn't any existing medical procedure to replace a non-existant meniscus. That's why Curtis Martin has essentially retired. If it is bone on bone, its not good.

As a Philly homer I also agree with the OPINION that Moats and Buck will split time. Moats in Westbrook's role and Buck still getting 10 -15 carries. No link, just years of following the team and seeing and hearing what Reid does with his RBs.

That is correct. The last time I visited the doctor was 6 year ago. At that time he told me I needed a cartilage transplant. Maybe something is available now, but if not, this seems serious for Westy. I still can't believe we can fabricate a heart but not cartilage.

wow...someone at least watched this show.....

That is correct. The last time I visited the doctor was 6 year ago. At that time he told me I needed a cartilage transplant. Maybe something is available now, but if not, this seems serious for Westy. I still can't believe we can fabricate a heart but not cartilage.

2 words-stem cells.

I've been working hard trying to get some concrete, confirmed information on Westbrook. But all I have come up with is bits and pieces and is tough to make a report on an injury when you just don't have all information in front of you. What I can tell you is that based on what I've heard, this looks like it could be a cartilage (meniscus) injury. Again, this is just speculation on my part.

Bone on bone would imply that he has a degenrative condition (gradual onset) and this was an acute injury that happened in practice. So while this may be a cartialge problem, this is nothing like what Curtis Martin is dealing with.

If you own Westbrook I would advise that you make a move to secure Buckhalter and maybe even trade for another RB to sure up your depth at that position, just in case Westbrook has a to miss a handful of games.

Edited by Trainer_Phil

I've been working hard trying to get some concrete, confirmed information on Westbrook. But all I have come up with is bits and pieces and is tough to make a report on an injury when you just don't have all information in front of you. What I can tell you is that based on what I've heard, this looks like it could be a cartilage (meniscus) injury. Again, this is just speculation on my part.

Bone on bone would imply that he has a degenrative condition (gradual onset) and this was an acute injury that happened in practice. So while this may be a cartialge problem, this is nothing like what Curtis Martin is dealing with.

If you own Westbrook I would advise that you make a move to secure Buckhalter and maybe even trade for another RB to sure up your depth at that position, just in case Westbrook has a to miss a handful of games.

I guess that's why I got trade offers for Buck. :D I don't have Westbrook but have Buck in one league and Buck and Moats in another. I'm not sure either is valuable unless this all shakes out.

He's practicing today and will play this weekend. :D

Just heard on the radio that Westbrook has been seen on the practice field working with the team, but there was no indication if he was full go or being limited. Listen, like I wrote in my report, Westbrook will probably end up playing this weekend, but as a fantasy owner you just can't plan one week at a time. So yes Westbrook may play in Week 3, but unless he makes a quick recovery his knee will make him a question mark every week for the foreseeable future. Be smart and have a backup plan ready.

Brian Westbrook (questionable, knee) returned to practice Friday.

Coach Andy Reid said Westbrook felt good coming off the field and indicated Westbrook should start Sunday. The swelling in Westbrook's knee is down and he looks safe to start against San Francisco.

Rotoworld Source

Westy is good to go.

http://www.stoneclinic.com/Surgical-Techni...Replacement.htm

That's an incorrect statement. There is a procedure to replace a meniscus. It's called a meniscal transplant. Check it out: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report....opcategory=Knee

I actually had one so I'm not pretending to be the doctor here.

That's an incorrect statement. There is a procedure to replace a meniscus. It's called a meniscal transplant. Check it out: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report....opcategory=Knee

I actually had one so I'm not pretending to be the doctor here.

Good call but it is still fairly uncommon. I'm curious how well yours is working out.

I know my company and several others are working on methods for an artifical meniscus and implantations that will stimulate the regrowth/regeneration of deteroriated ones.

You are reading the quote from Buckhalter. Of course he'd like to start...what did you expect him to say? That he'd like to play less?? Problem is, for an offense like the Eagles run, an every-down power RB is not ideal.

Actually, it is ideal. The Eagles don't run the ball nearly as much as they should.

Given Westbrook's deteriorating knee and Buckhalter's penchant for injuries, I'm glad that I took a flyer on Moats.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Hopefully not too far off topic, but what kind of trade mileage are you getting for Westbrook?

Not that I'd get it, but I've tinkered with the idea of offering Westbrook for C. Williams, assuming Westbrook has another good game and Caddy has another stinker.

Actually, it is ideal. The Eagles don't run the ball nearly as much as they should.

Given Westbrook's deteriorating knee and Buckhalter's penchant for injuries, I'm glad that I took a flyer on Moats.

Me too although I'm curious to know how many touches he would get if Westbrook is hurt and Buckhalter is in the rotation. The Eagles are in a tough spot. They know Buckhalter can't carry the load and is injury prone (that's why he didn't get a big deal). Plus they spent a high pick on Moats last year who apparently still isn't grasping the offense that well. Maybe it's time to truly commit to the run with an every down big back in next years draft if one is available. They have a big bruising O-line that I'm sure would rather run block than pass protect the majority of the time.

Good call but it is still fairly uncommon. I'm curious how well yours is working out.

I know my company and several others are working on methods for an artifical meniscus and implantations that will stimulate the regrowth/regeneration of deteroriated ones.

I had an ACL/Meniscus transplant in 1995 at age 17 at UPMC (Pittsburgh). When I had it done, it was very uncommon. I am surprised that it hasn't taken off, especially with pro athletes. My transplant has worked for very well for me.... In fact, I played 4 yrs of college softball. I have had only one setback... in 2003, I had a small tear of the meniscus. The doctor cleaned it up through a scope. I have heard when they scan the meniscus for diseases, the radiation weakens it and can cause a tear in the future.

I have heard that some doctors are cloning a new meniscus using cartlidge from the other knee. I don't understand why professional athletes who have bone on bone issues don't try the transplant. Especially since they have their pick of doctors. Surprisingly, they choose the microfracture surgery which I think is insane. They actually fracture the bone so it would bleed. The blood creates a cushion just like the meniscus.

Anyway, Westbrook is playing!!! Yeah! I think he will be on the injury report... At least until the bye week. Hopefully, he can make it to the bye week.

Me too although I'm curious to know how many touches he would get if Westbrook is hurt and Buckhalter is in the rotation. The Eagles are in a tough spot. They know Buckhalter can't carry the load and is injury prone (that's why he didn't get a big deal). Plus they spent a high pick on Moats last year who apparently still isn't grasping the offense that well. Maybe it's time to truly commit to the run with an every down big back in next years draft if one is available. They have a big bruising O-line that I'm sure would rather run block than pass protect the majority of the time.

If Westbrook went down, I'm assuming that it would be RBBC with Buckhalter/Moats. That might make Moats a semi-decent bye week fill-in at best, unless he absolutely excels right off the bat.

Edited by Bill Swerski