[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cooking Brats

Atlanta Cracker

There were a few tips in the thread about which brats are betther than the other, etc. At any rate I'm having about 40 of my closest friends over for a beer and brat party and thought I would solicit advice on doing it up right. In the past I've just thrown the brats straight on the grill and they turned out nice.

This time I'm going to a specialty butcher to get some fresh hand made german brats so I want to make sure I do them justice.

First of all, how many lbs should I get for 40 people? I'll probably go on the high side so would you freeze extras uncooked or cooked?

Second, any tips on cooking them? If using a beer recipe, what type of beer would you use? How long in advance of throwing them on the grill could you boil them in the beer mixture?

Thanks!

I'll defer to the greats but i was at a big poker party w/brats and the grill master had the brats already cooked sittin on low on the grill in a big metel pan soakin in a sh!t load of grilled onions....we just kept hittin it all night............ :D ....... :D

I'll defer to the greats but i was at a big poker party w/brats and the grill master had the brats already cooked sittin on low on the grill in a big metel pan soakin in a sh!t load of grilled onions....we just kept hittin it all night............ :D ....... :D

They didn't get mushy this way? I seem to see mixed reviews on this method.

As of now I'm planning to saute them in Paulaner Oktoberfest and Onions then toss em on the Egg for 6 mins or so. I'll probably try to come up with some sort of butter/onion mix to hold em in afterwards to keep them warm.

simmer the brats in that bier with finely sliced onions (3) for an hour or 2. remove the brats to just finish on the grill. drain until you have about 2-3 cups left and save all onions. add some dry mustard (or mustard seed) and honey. over high heat reduce bier/onions to about 1/2 - 1 cup (should be somewhat thick). serve this as a relish.

simmer the brats in that bier with finely sliced onions (3) for an hour or 2. remove the brats to just finish on the grill. drain until you have about 2-3 cups left and save all onions. add some dry mustard (or mustard seed) and honey. over high heat reduce bier/onions to about 1/2 - 1 cup (should be somewhat thick). serve this as a relish.

+1 with maybe some little peppers for those that like some spice!

I do all of this on the grill. I make a foil contraption with onions and some peppers in the bottom, add some beer, and then put the brats on top. I colse up the foil 'tent', and steam them in the beer for about 30 minutes. When I am satisfied that the brats are cooked, I take the foul contraption off the grill and finish the brats over he flame.

This is pretty much what I do except I'll add some crushed red pepper flakes and a bay leaf to the onions.

Where I'm from, the brat capital of the world, we grill them over extremely low heat for 45 minutes to an hour, flipping constantly.

After that, put them in a pot on the stove/pan on the grill filled with beer, butter and onions. Don't let it boil! They can sit there all day and people can eat at will.

Pretty close to what these guys say, but with lots more onions and butter.

Worked like the charm! :D I didn't have the time to try the relish as there were 40 people running around looking for food!