[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

texan homers

HoustonCougars

I dunno. Ive had it with David Carr down here personally. I know it's one game, but Garcia looks like an intruiging option for us next year if we decide (hopefully) to part ways with Carr. Any input? Im sure we would draft a QB, but may not have to do it with the 1,2,3.....pick that we will surely get, can pick up a late rounder.......any insight??

I dunno. Ive had it with David Carr down here personally. I know it's one game, but Garcia looks like an intruiging option for us next year if we decide (hopefully) to part ways with Carr. Any input? Im sure we would draft a QB, but may not have to do it with the 1,2,3.....pick that we will surely get, can pick up a late rounder.......any insight??

Are you joking?

:D:D:bash:

How about we draft an offensive line first.

I still think Carr has some unrealized potential in there somewhere, so I would like to see him stay in there for at least one more year probably. But even if they decided to go a different direction, Garcia would not be my idea of an upgrade. There are some pretty good QBs coming out in the draft this year that I wouldn't mind the Texans taking a flyer on though. Not talking about a first rounder or anything, but maybe look at it in the mid rounds.

I think the Texans extended Carr's contract through 2008. I'm not sure what kind of salary cap hit they'd take if they parted with him, but I don't think he's going anywhere next year. After June 1, 2008 he may be let go. Hopefully, for Carr, Houston gets rid of him. I think Carr will be one of those guys who goes to another team and does very well. The Texans suck. They could bring in the best QB in the universe and they'd still suck.

I have heard that there is a real possibility that they would go in another direction at QB next year. However, as has already been stated, a different QB is not the problem or the answer. As to drafting another QB, I have become convinced that an absolute rule for the draft should be never draft a QB in the first round. I do not know if anyone has any stats on what highly drafted positions tend to bust more, but there have been so many highly drafted QBs that have been a bust. Then if you do happen to hit on a good one, you end up tying up too much cap money on him. I think my second draft rule would be to always trade down.

The Texans need to build this team with defense and o-line. If you go back and look at the Oilers, the most successful stretch of seasons in there history was not preceded by drafting Earl Campbell. The most successful stretch in their history was preceded by drafting an offensive lineman in the first round, three years in a row.

As to drafting another QB, I have become convinced that an absolute rule for the draft should be never draft a QB in the first round. I do not know if anyone has any stats on what highly drafted positions tend to bust more, but there have been so many highly drafted QBs that have been a bust. Then if you do happen to hit on a good one, you end up tying up too much cap money on him.

I really disagree. You most likely need to take a guy in the first or second round to have a decent shot. Ask the Colts, Eagles, Bengals, and Steelers ( :D ) if they are sorry about first round QB draft picks. I don't think you will easily find the next Brady or McNair in the draft. They are the exceptions to the rule. Sure there are first round busts, but how many more mid-to-late round picks never had a chance or just doomed their teams to mediocrity?

As far as salary cap, well, that's just a necessary evil, and it doesn't paralyze a team, just makes it a bit harder.

If Peyton Manning is a problem, you can hurt me with that problem every year.

And there are 4 very intriguing QB prospects that ought to go 1st/early 2nd round in the 2007 draft, as well as 3-4 legit darkhorse lower draft picks that have legit starting NFL skills.

Kubiak could easily stick with Carr & roll the dice in round 3-5 to grab one of the dark horses. That would allow HOU to get a stud RB or a stud OT in the 1st round.

Carr has shown flashes of being a pretty decent QB. He would benefit from some upgrades at o-line and RB, obviously. He has been sacked a ridiculous number of times in his career. And the lack of a premier RB has hurt the offense.

You can see a pretty nice upswing in his numbers since Moulds came on board, taking some heat off of Johnson and giving Carr a legit #2 wideout to throw to.

I don't follow the team too closely but they seem headed in the right direction with Kubiak. You have to remember how horrible the team has been recently and consider with the salary cap and a limited free agent pool each year, it takes a long time to come back from being that bad. But they have a good nucleus with Carr, Johnson, and on defense Ryans is the best young LB to come around in a long time and they have good young players in the secondary too.

I wonder if they would make a huge contract offer to someone like Michael Turner in '07? :D

I wonder if they would make a huge contract offer to someone like Michael Turner in '07? :D

I don't think Michael Turner would be a good investment unless they can find a way to bring SD's offensive line with him.

Carr has shown flashes of being a pretty decent QB. He would benefit from some upgrades at o-line and RB, obviously. He has been sacked a ridiculous number of times in his career. And the lack of a premier RB has hurt the offense.

You can see a pretty nice upswing in his numbers since Moulds came on board, taking some heat off of Johnson and giving Carr a legit #2 wideout to throw to.

I don't follow the team too closely but they seem headed in the right direction with Kubiak. You have to remember how horrible the team has been recently and consider with the salary cap and a limited free agent pool each year, it takes a long time to come back from being that bad. But they have a good nucleus with Carr, Johnson, and on defense Ryans is the best young LB to come around in a long time and they have good young players in the secondary too.

Agree that Carr was showing some things earlier in the season, but it seems as if he's regressed since then.

And to think they could have had homegrown hero Vince Young, and he could be turning their franchise around. Instead its another slap in the face, he is turning the franchise that left Houston around, who picked after Houston. Vince Young has shown he can beat Indy. What about mario Williams. Williams isnt even the best DE prospect after the first yr. Tamba hali, and Kiwanuka are both significantly better and they were taken later. Houston is the Texas Rangers of baseball. Completely Clueless when it comes to evaluating talent, and gives the talent they have, or could have had away, by passing on them for complete projects or reaches.