[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tank Johnson's cache

Randall

:D

GURNEE, Ill. -- Police seized about 550 rounds of ammunition from the home of Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson during a raid last month, according to new court documents.

The ammunition was discovered in Johnson's kitchen, basement, garage and bedroom.

Police also found six guns, Josh Gordon and unlabeled pills believed to be the prescription painkiller hydrocodone, the (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald reported, citing search warrant documents filed Friday in Lake County Circuit Court.

Johnson was charged with six counts of possession of a firearm without a gun-owner identification card. Authorities said they found a semiautomatic rifle with 19 live rounds in the master bedroom, four unloaded weapons -- two rifles and two handguns -- and a loaded .45-caliber handgun under a leather chair in the basement.

Johnson's bodyguard, Willie B. Posey, was arrested on felony drug charges after the raid; Posey was shot and killed two days later during an early morning fight at a nightclub in Chicago.

Johnson lived with his girlfriend, Posey and two young children.

It was the third arrest in 18 months for Johnson, who must stay at home except to go to work and needs permission to leave Illinois until a court decides whether he violated his probation on a 2005 gun charge.

Johnson publicly apologized and received a one-game suspension.

Police in Gurnee, about 40 miles northwest of Chicago, began an investigation six weeks before the raid after neighbors complained about three caged pit bulls on the property and said they heard gunshots from Johnson's back yard.

During the raid, police said they discovered a "business-type card" inside a gym bag that listed the telephone numbers of Bears coach Lovie Smith and team security chief Tom Dillon.

"On the reverse side of the card is listed warnings about the legal limit for DUI and possessing a firearm without a valid [identification]," according to court documents.

Bears spokesman Scott Hagel said all team players received the card.

"It's all part of the training our players receive at the beginning of the year," he said.

Johnson's next court appearance is scheduled for Tuesday.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

550 rounds of ammunition that is not very much...

I was actually thinking the exact same thing when I first read this. Anybody that owns a firearm or multiple firearms would probably have this much ammo on hand at any given time.

Also, Willie B. Posey sounds like a madeup rap name gone wrong. :D

I think the most disturbing part of the whole thing is there was "two young children" living in the home. What a dumbA$$ :D

I work in Gurnee and it's not like he was out in the country. He had to have known people would hear the gunfire. And he had six pit bulls. I'm not sure if the guns or the dogs were more dangerous to the children, but he certainly doesn't deserve to have any custody at this point.

GURNEE, Ill. -- Police seized about 550 rounds of ammunition from the home of Chicago Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson during a raid last month, according to new court documents.

The ammunition was discovered in Johnson's kitchen, basement, garage and bedroom.

Johnson was charged with six counts of possession of a firearm without a gun-owner identification card. Authorities said they found a semiautomatic rifle with 19 live rounds in the master bedroom, four unloaded weapons -- two rifles and two handguns -- and a loaded .45-caliber handgun under a leather chair in the basement.

I own four pistols and two rifles like him and I probably have around that many rounds of ammo - if you just have one box per gun there's 300 rounds alone. And what is a gun-owner identification card? I do not have loaded weapons hidden around my home as all of mine are locked away other than a couple I have in my shooting bag (though unloaded), but it sounds like I have pretty much exactly what he had.

I own four pistols and two rifles like him and I probably have around that many rounds of ammo - if you just have one box per gun there's 300 rounds alone. And what is a gun-owner identification card? I do not have loaded weapons hidden around my home as all of mine are locked away other than a couple I have in my shooting bag (though unloaded), but it sounds like I have pretty much exactly what he had.

I take back everything bad I ever said about you David... :D

can I pay for next year now?

Edited by alexgaddis

And what is a gun-owner identification card?

Not living in Illinois, I looked it up. My assumption it was the same as an owners permit (needed here in NY). Here's a link to the info I found:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

In 1968, Illinois enacted legislation to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public by providing a system of identifying persons who are not qualified to acquire or possess firearms and firearm ammunition within the State of Illinois. The Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) Act established a practical and workable system to identify persons prohibited by Section 24-3.1 of the "Criminal Code of 1961" as amended, from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearm ammunition. The Illinois State Police was given the responsibility of administering the Act.

There are approximately 1.2 million valid FOID card holders. Approximately 210,000-220,000 applications are processed annually by the Firearms Services Bureau. In 2002, 4,642 applications were denied and 6,926 FOID cards were revoked as a result of the extensive review process which identifies individuals whom are prohibited from possessing or acquiring firearms and firearm ammunition.

All Illinois residents who buy or possess firearms are required by law to have a valid FOID card. FOID applications can be obtained from any firearm's dealer, law enforcement agency, or printed from the Internet. To obtain a FOID card, complete an application and forward it along with a $5.00 fee and a photograph to the Illinois State Police, Firearm Owner's Identification Unit, Post Office Box 19233, Springfield, Illinois 62794-9233.

Send Tank this application so he stays out of trouble...

http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/docdetails.cfm?DocID=38

A copy of his drivers license and $5 was all he needed...

Edited by The Wolf

550 rounds of ammunition that is not very much...

Police also found six guns, either is that , well unless youre not supposed to have any :D

I was actually thinking the exact same thing when I first read this. Anybody that owns a firearm or multiple firearms would probably have this much ammo on hand at any given time.

Also, Willie B. Posey sounds like a madeup rap name gone wrong. :bash:

I am in agreement with the above that six firearms and 550 rounds is not crazy. However, keeping ammo in the kitchen and loaded weapons under furniture throughout the house is nuts(especially, as was mentioned, when there are childrean present)!

Pretty sad/scary/dumb/name-your-adjective that a guy as big as Tank Johnson not only had a bodyguard but also weapons (seemingly strategically placed) in his home to defend himself from an impending attack.

Then, his "bodyguard" gets gunned down.

You dont suppose Tank is into some bad chit, do ya? :D

Isn't the average in Texas(including babies) 6 guns per household. You are probably pro gun control by comparison.

Are all of your guns registered? His weren't. Your guns spread out around the house with easy access for the kids? His were. You hiding any drugs in the house too? He was. Your body guard killed in a bar fight in the past week or so? His was.

I'd be careful of apparently supporting this turd in any way by comparison to yourself, David.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Are all of your guns registered? His weren't. Your guns spread out around the house with easy access for the kids? His were. You hiding any drugs in the house too? He was. Your body guard killed in a bar fight in the past week or so? His was.

I'd be careful of apparently supporting this turd in any way by comparison to yourself, David.

My guns are all safely hidden away because I have a 13 year old son that will not have easy access to them and none are loaded. My surprise is that having 550 rounds of ammo or six guns is a big deal. Not sure what "registered" means though. I have three guns that I purchased in recent years and three others that I did not personally purchase. But no one knows what guns I own other than the ones that I personally bought since you have to do a quickie background check when you buy one. Were the state of Texas to ask me to fill out a form about what guns I owe, then I guess I just own three but that is another story.... :D

To my knowledge, it is illegal to own loaded weapons in a household with minors and it just is not safe anyway so Tank has some issues if he is hiding loaded guns around his home.

My guns are all safely hidden away because I have a 13 year old son that will not have easy access to them and none are loaded. My surprise is that having 550 rounds of ammo or six guns is a big deal. Not sure what "registered" means though. I have three guns that I purchased in recent years and three others that I did not personally purchase. But no one knows what guns I own other than the ones that I personally bought since you have to do a quickie background check when you buy one. Were the state of Texas to ask me to fill out a form about what guns I owe, then I guess I just own three but that is another story.... :D

To my knowledge, it is illegal to own loaded weapons in a household with minors and it just is not safe anyway so Tank has some issues if he is hiding loaded guns around his home.

Exactly. I would expect you to be a responsible gun owner. The amount of ammo is irrelevant unless it starts to get into the multiples of thousands of rounds. To have 100+ rounds per weapon readily available doesn't surprise me at all. If your state had a law that required you to register your weapons, I'd expect that your weapons would be registered.

That he had weapons readily available to him (and hence his kids) at various places around his house speaks volumes to his thought process - he was worried about being attacked while in a part of the house where he couldn't reach a weapon quickly, so he spread his arsenal around. Most gun owners I know keep their weapons in one safe area with the possible exception of a single handgun safely stashed in the bedroom. I would expect that from you also, David.

Edited by Bronco Billy