[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2007 Draft

dabuffbills

Who goes first?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who goes first?

• Brady Quinn
    • Calvin Johnson
    • Adrian Peterson
    • JaMarcus Russell
    • Joe Thomas
    • other

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to early to say. The combine tells all.

IMO, the combine tells us very little. I'm not really into grading players by how high they can jump, how much they can lift and their percentage of body fat. Also, most of the higher rated prospects will probably not participate or will have their own showcase. As a Bears fan, I remember too vividly watching Terrell Suggs drop off their radar when he didn't run a quick enough 40 yard dash time. They ended up dealing the # 4 pick to the Jets, watching Suggs go at # 10 and grabbing DE Michael Haynes (#14) :D and Rex Grossman (#18). Four seasons and 40 sacks later, I wish the Bears hadn't paid any attention to Suggs 40 yard dash.

IMO, the combine tells us very little. I'm not really into grading players by how high they can jump, how much they can lift and their percentage of body fat.

What you are saying is very true, with some exceptions. Players who drastically exceed or perform below standards for which a certain trait is critical to a position can either promote their stock or see it fall. For example, speed is critical to CBs. If a CB grades out slow at the combine and there is no injury history, his stock rightfully will fall. If a CB shows significantly more speed than anticipated, his stock rightfully will rise since raw speed simply can't be taught - technique, read, ball skills can. The same thing with QB arm strength, and with O-line & D-line strength.

Aside from sending up red flags in this regard, or maybe sending a message that a guy has more physical capability than first thought, the combine really should do very little for scouts - even though it doesn't. NFL scouts ought to be looking for guys who can flat out play the game, not beauty contest winners. It's been shown time & again that the guys who are combine-sexy can be huge busts while the guys who are combine-average but have proven to be good football players in actual game play can be pleasant surprises. For some reason, some scouts just don't seem to get this despite so many examples. They seem to want to swing for the fences and pluck that rare uber-stud out of nowhere instead of providing solid career NFL players for the team.

Edited by Bronco Billy

+1

But Russell will still come out on top.

I don't think the Raiders are confident in taking another OL high in the first...

That will be a big fear for a long time; compliments of Robert Gallery. :D

Will he even work out at the combine?

Will he even work out at the combine?

:D

He wouldn't possibly be able to enhance his draft position, and he could cost himself a lot of jack if he has a mediocre to poor combine. He might show up & do some very limited stuff, but his agent would be nuts to let him go through the full battery of tests.

What you are saying is very true, with some exceptions. Players who drastically exceed or perform below standards for which a certain trait is critical to a position can either promote their stock or see it fall.

I agree and should have probably been more accurate with my initial post. As this discussion is revolving around the highest of picks in the first round, I should have commented the combine, IMO, should have very little to do with those selections. As stated in my earlier post, I wish the Bears had paid little, if any, attention to the combine. It cost them a shot at an elite pass rusher.

I agree and should have probably been more accurate with my initial post. As this discussion is revolving around the highest of picks in the first round, I should have commented the combine, IMO, should have very little to do with those selections. As stated in my earlier post, I wish the Bears had paid little, if any, attention to the combine. It cost them a shot at an elite pass rusher.

Also, some unknown can perform well at the combine causing a team to select him earlier than expected, then when he plays in a game, it turns out that he wasn't as good as they had predicted.

I agree that the combine has too much influence sometimes

Also, some unknown can perform well at the combine causing a team to select him earlier than expected, then when he plays in a game, it turns out that he wasn't as good as they had predicted.

I agree that the combine has too much influence sometimes

Two words "Troy Williamson!!!" :D:D:bash:

Troy Williamson will be better, I don't know why he had such a drop problem, he never had that problem in college. Of course, he was in more of a WC type of offense in college, and used his speed after the catch rather than being a Randy Moss type and catching the bomb.

Troy Williamson will be better, I don't know why he had such a drop problem, he never had that problem in college. Of course, he was in more of a WC type of offense in college, and used his speed after the catch rather than being a Randy Moss type and catching the bomb.

TO can't catch the ball either, but he turned out to be a pretty good receiver :D

This could be the year the Lions should take a WR in Johnson with the #2 but will screw it up because of the back lash they will receive after the miserable failures of Williams and Rogers.

They have 2 solid receivers in Roy Williams and Mike Furrey, the Lions need a solid QB that can get them the ball

Uh, Troy is currently in the West Coast offense in Minnesota as well. :D

Uh, Troy is currently in the West Coast offense in Minnesota as well. :D

Yea, but he's supposed to be their deep threat. He never ran many routes over 5 yards in college, I should know I was in the stands.

Lou Holtz doesnt run a passing offense, he likes to run every play...even 2 and 20, and 3 and 15.

Edited by CD6405

They have 2 solid receivers in Roy Williams and Mike Furrey, the Lions need a solid QB that can get them the ball

:D

Kitna just threw for 4200+ yds. He lead the NFL in completions, was 4th in passing yds, and was 9th in TDs. Furrey was #2 in the NFL in receptions, #20 in ypg, & #20 in rec TDs. Williams was #15 in receptions, #5 in ypg, & #15 in rec TDs.

I think expecting any of the incoming rookie class to significantly exceed those kinds of numbers just might be setting your sights a wee bit high, don't you think?

In fact, with Kitna & Orlovsky there, it would shock me that DET would pass on a rock OT like Thomas to add yet another QB to the fold. That just doesn't make much sense.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Kitna just threw for 4200+ yds. He lead the NFL in completions, was 4th in passing yds, and was 9th in TDs. Furrey was #2 in the NFL in receptions, #20 in ypg, & #20 in rec TDs. Williams was #15 in receptions, #5 in ypg, & #15 in rec TDs.

I think expecting any of the incoming rookie class to significantly exceed those kinds of numbers just might be setting your sights a wee bit high, don't you think?

In fact, with Kitna & Orlovsky there, it would shock me that DET would pass on a rock OT like Thomas to add yet another QB to the fold. That just doesn't make much sense.

dabuffbills is way of base, but he's just saying wha the prolly heard on some Sports station. Kitna is a strong QB, and the idea of drafting a QB now when they have so many other positions to draft is a shallow statement at best.