[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leave your pom pomss at the door

Caveman_Nick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the big question.

I have more confidence in Rex putting together a good enough game against an OK Saints defense than I do in the Bears D containing a multi-faceted explosive NO offense. The Bears D just runs out of gas and the loss of Brown and Harris really kills them.

As I mentioned in another thread, the lack of a pass rush is killing us. With Bush and Deuce offering nice variations in the run game that have to be honored, unless we get pressure on Brees he will kill us with short to medium range slants and sideline passes.

We simply have to figure out a way to harass Brees or the game will go south real quick.

On the offensive side, the Bears have to make their running game better. It tapered off in the second half on Sunday and we have to keep it going in sustained drives to wear down the NO defense.

:DThis says a high of 27 and a low of 14...

Whatever. The weather is the same for both teams and I don't see it as a hugh advantage for the Bears. It's not like Colston and McAllister are wusses who are going to shrivel up and die.

And a sloppy field is nothing but an equalizer for both teams.

Whatever. The weather is the same for both teams and I don't see it as a hugh advantage for the Bears. It's not like Colston and McAllister are wusses who are going to shrivel up and die.

And a sloppy field is nothing but an equalizer for both teams.

Blame the dome!!

I predict a Bears win, and a rematch of SB XX

Blame the dome!!

I predict a Bears win, and a rematch of SB XX

Interesting read. Still, I remember that tosser Vick and the Falcons (a dome team) rolling in to Lambeau where the Packers had NEVER been beaten in the playoffs.......

As for the rematch, assuming the Bears win, I think I'd rather face the Colts.

So, here's a few questions for the Colts fans...

That Colts defense has looked like a beast in their 2 playoff games. What turned it around for them? How much of it had to do with the play of Green and McNair versus the performance of the Colts players?

Going into this game, would you say that if the Colts don't win considering how well their defense is playing, that it changes the formula somewhat of blaming the team around Manning?

:D

Beuller?

Beuller?

Just remember, the Saints are a dome team and have never been tested in rough January weather

The record of dome teams on the road in the playoffs is not good. It's worse in cold weather stadiums.

I thought the Saints were going to the bowl, partially because I has picked SEA to pull it out this weekend and for the NFC Championship game to be in NO. With the Saints going on the road to chicago, I would take the Bears and lay the points.

I think the whole Dome team thing is overrated. Some of these guys grew up playing pop-warner, High School, sandlot, and College in cold weather. On the other hand, some guys that grew up in the south and played college in the south go on to play well with northern teams. I tihnk "which Rex Grossman shows up" is going to be a bigger factor than the game being in Chicago. right now Bear fans are happy because he had a good completion to set up the FG in OT. He is still the same guy that played the first half against the Packers. "Prepared" or not...he played like Sega!.

The weather won't bother Brees, he's an outdoor QB, keep that in mind. He played all those years in that rough San Diego climate. :D

See below...

played college at Perdue too :D

I was going to point out Purdue as well.

played college at Perdue too :D

Finishing up the second week in December in Purdue ain't exactly the same as Lambeau or Soldier (or Buffalo and a couple others for that matter) in January.

That said, I think the weather tends to be overrated as a factor.

I earned some serious money last weekend taking the Patriots over the Chargers. Even though the Chargers have vastly superior talent than the Patriots at almost every position other than quarterback, I figured the Patriots playoff experience and the Chargers relative lack thereof would be the difference. And the Chargers dropping balls left and right and generally tripping over their own dicks proved me right and brought in a nice payday.

That said, the Patriots magic carpet ride is over. Forever. Done. Stick a fork in 'em.

They are now facing a team in the Colts that has far superior talent and (finally) has sufficient playoff experience to beat them. The Colts have played a couple of bad playoff games now, and yet they've won. Their offense has played nowhere near it's potential, and yet they'e won. Their defense has played well without sophisticated schemes or doing anything tricky, all they've done is tackled and tackled well. New England doesn't have the offensive firepower to expose the Colts. New England has lived on smoke and mirrors and tuck rules and fumbled punts and fumbled interceptions and and stupid penalties and missed field goals and dumb coaching decisions by the opposition long enough. This week they simply get outclassed and outplayed. It might be close at halftime, it won't be when all's said and done. Colts 38-17.

I earned some serious money last weekend taking the Patriots over the Chargers. Even though the Chargers have vastly superior talent than the Patriots at almost every position other than quarterback, I figured the Patriots playoff experience and the Chargers relative lack thereof would be the difference. And the Chargers dropping balls left and right and generally tripping over their own dicks proved me right and brought in a nice payday.

That said, the Patriots magic carpet ride is over. Forever. Done. Stick a fork in 'em.

They are now facing a team in the Colts that has far superior talent and (finally) has sufficient playoff experience to beat them. The Colts have played a couple of bad playoff games now, and yet they've won. Their offense has played nowhere near it's potential, and yet they'e won. Their defense has played well without sophisticated schemes or doing anything tricky, all they've done is tackled and tackled well. New England doesn't have the offensive firepower to expose the Colts. New England has lived on smoke and mirrors and tuck rules and fumbled punts and fumbled interceptions and and stupid penalties and missed field goals and dumb coaching decisions by the opposition long enough. This week they simply get outclassed and outplayed. It might be close at halftime, it won't be when all's said and done. Colts 38-17.

Pretty good analysis, I agree with most of what you said.

Couldn't have said it better myself.... though you did forget to mention out-of-bounds kickoffs.

So, here's a few questions for the Colts fans...

That Colts defense has looked like a beast in their 2 playoff games. What turned it around for them? How much of it had to do with the play of Green and McNair versus the performance of the Colts players?

Going into this game, would you say that if the Colts don't win considering how well their defense is playing, that it changes the formula somewhat of blaming the team around Manning?

Since you asked...

(1) The play of Trent Green (and, even more so, their WRs) was a big part of the victory over the Chiefs. They definitely would've had a more difficult time with somebody like Pennington. That said, stopping LJ dead in his tracks was huge. McNair didn't play his best game, but I don't think that he was as bad as his numbers suggested. I'd blame Billick's game plan more than McNair. I agree that the Colts have played some soft offenses thus far (assuming that's what you're getting at), but their D deserves a lot of credit for only giving up 13 points in two games. The turnaround, IMO, can be most attributed to their players being healthy. Freeney was playing hurt for much of the first half. Now that he's healthy, he needs to be double-teamed again and that has opened things up for McFarland. Getting Sanders back is also huge, particularly in run support. Having Brackett back at MLB is also big... they use him in blitz packages and also have the option of rotating him with Rob Morris and keeping both fresh. Bethea has stepped up and played relatively well for a rookie. David and Harper have both developed into solid corners. Streaks of strong play from the Colts D are not unheard of (e.g., the first two months of last season). We're very happy that they've finally decided to do it in the playoffs this year. :D

(2) Their defense would have to put up a strong effort first - and that isn't exactly a given. If the Colts defense DOES continue to play well and Manning has 0 TD/3 INT game and the Colts lose, then obviously he's going to take a ton of blame and the "playoff choker" label will actually be applicable. If he plays conservatively, like he did in their last playoff game in Foxoboro, and everyone else does their job this time, they'll be in good shape. While the spotlight will undoubtedly be on Peyton, the Colts D and the matchup of the Colts O-line against the Pats Front 7 (which definitely favors the latter) will determine whether or not they win.

While I think that the Pats are the better overall team and should be favored to win, the St. Louis Cardinals showed last year that a healthy, above-average team can hit a hot streak at the beginning of the playoffs and derail superior competition in the big games. The Colts playing at home and having beat the Pats at Foxboro two years in a row will also add to their confidence.

I like the Colts in the upset, 23-17. Peyton has an unspectacular-but-efficient game, with the Colts D and Adam being the difference this year.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Since you asked...

(1) The play of Trent Green (and, even more so, their WRs) was a big part of the victory over the Chiefs. They definitely would've had a more difficult time with somebody like Pennington. That said, stopping LJ dead in his tracks was huge. McNair didn't play his best game, but I don't think that he was as bad as his numbers suggested. I'd blame Billick's game plan more than McNair. I agree that the Colts have played some soft offenses thus far (assuming that's what you're getting at), but their D deserves a lot of credit for only giving up 13 points in two games. The turnaround, IMO, can be most attributed to their players being healthy. Freeney was playing hurt for much of the first half. Now that he's healthy, he needs to be double-teamed again and that has opened things up for McFarland. Getting Sanders back is also huge, particularly in run support. Having Brackett back at MLB is also big... they use him in blitz packages and also have the option of rotating him with Rob Morris and keeping both fresh. Bethea has stepped up and played relatively well for a rookie. David and Harper have both developed into solid corners. Streaks of strong play from the Colts D are not unheard of (e.g., the first two months of last season). We're very happy that they've finally decided to do it in the playoffs this year. :D

(2) Their defense would have to put up a strong effort first - and that isn't exactly a given. If the Colts defense DOES continue to play well and Manning has 0 TD/3 INT game, then obviously he's going to take a ton of blame and the "playoff choker" label will actually be applicable. If he plays conservatively, like he did in their last playoff game in Foxoboro, and everyone else does their job this time, they'll be in good shape. While the spotlight will undoubtedly be on Peyton, the Colts D and the matchup of the Colts O-line against the Pats Front 7 (which definitely favors the latter) will determine whether or not they win.

While I think that the Pats are the better overall team and should be favored to win, the St. Louis Cardinals showed last year that a healthy, above-average team can hit a hot streak at the beginning of the playoffs and derail superior competition in the big games. The Colts playing at home and having beat the Pats at Foxboro two years in a row will also add to their confidence.

I like the Colts in the upset, 24-17. Peyton has an unspectacular-but-efficient game, with the Colts D and Adam being the difference this year.

Great post...except for the last part. And there isn't anything wrong with that part, except that there's going to have to be a lot of selling to convince folks that Indy should be the underdog.

In many people's eyes, Baltimore was the strongest team heading into the playoffs. The Colts accomplishment of getting past them is tremendous. Both teams accomplishments this weekend are tremendous, really. I also think that the most recent games between the Colts and the Pats are the ones that are the most important. I believe the Colts have won the last 2.

JMO, but the Colts should probably be about a 5 pt favorite, and it will take a monumental effort on the part of the Pats to get by them in their home dome. The -3 opening in both games is very conservative by Vegas, and I imagine they are doing so to keep betters on their toes. I expect both lines to move towards the home team.