[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could Tiger have played in the NFL?

Rockerbraves

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan, being far and away the best basketball player ever (Yes, I am a long time Celtics fan, and it hurts to say it), couldn't make it in pro baseball.

Being great in one sport doesn't mean you can excell at another.

If Jordan grew up concentrating on baseball he probably could have. Most professional athletes have 2 things in common, they have physical talent, and they have tremendous work ethic. If you take an athlete who has those two things, I think many of them could excel at various sports if they had dedicated their time to that particular sport instead of the one they are currently excelling at. If that made sense. :D

If Jordan grew up concentrating on baseball he probably could have. Most professional athletes have 2 things in common, they have physical talent, and they have tremendous work ethic. If you take an athlete who has those two things, I think many of them could excel at various sports if they had dedicated their time to that particular sport instead of the one they are currently excelling at. If that made sense. :D

Jordan did grow up playing baseball. And football. He was recruited to college to play Basketball. I dunno if he played other sports at college, but he certainly was out there for college scouts to see in the other sports.

Baseball takes different skills than basketball. There's a very specific hand/eye coordination issue that many basketball players can be great without, whereas basketball requires overall athleticism that baseball doesn't.

Maybe Jordan could have been a world class soccer player had he tried...but does his incrredible ability with a basketball translate into kicking a soccer ball? Certainly not in any direct way.

If they had a forum on Tiger's website I probably would start a thread like:

Could Elway or Jordan have played on the PGA Tour? Of course they could have... :D

Well why don't you go do that instead of flooding this one? Honestly I don't see how this topic isn't moved to the Tailgate. It has absolutely no value in this forum. :D

Edited by Def.

no doubt tiger is a great natural athlete, and no doubt in my mind golf is a "sport" and all that crap. tiger has clearly spent as much time and effort developing that natural athletic ability into golf skill as anyone. problem is, golf is one sport where skill doesn't really translate into other athletic endeavors. i'm guessing tiger would pretty much suck balls if you put him in an NFL practice as a WR. most NFL players would probably kick his ass one-on-one in basketball. and so on. golf skills are just very highly specialized.

Tiger Woods 6'1" 185 lbs, now 31 years of age, has had an unprecedented career since becoming a professional golfer in the late summer of 1996. He has won 74 tournaments, 54 of those on the PGA TOUR, including the 1997, 2001, 2002 and 2005 Masters Tournaments, 1999, 2000 and 2006 PGA Championships, 2000 and 2002 U.S. Open Championships, and 2000, 2005 and 2006 British Open Championships. With his second Masters victory in 2001, Tiger became the first ever to hold all four professional major championships at the same time. He is the career victories leader among active players on the PGA TOUR, and is the career money list leader

Could Tiger Woods (arguably the best athlete on the planet) have played in the NFL had he decided to play football instead of golf?

Check this out:

Without reading any of the other responses:

The best athlete on the planet? You've got to be kidding me. He may be athletic, but golf is not a very athletically demanding activity. :D

I think probably the NFL is too loud for Tiger to concentrat as well.

I don't know... How many NFL players can you name that have this kind of concentration on one of the biggest stages in sports? :D

Easy to concentrate when you don't have to worry about getting hit by a 400 pound lineman and when you can demand total silence from the specators.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Easy to concentrate when you don't have to worry about getting hit by a 400 pound lineman and when you can demand total silence from the specators.

Not sure about you, but IMO most would agree they would concentrate alot harder knowing if they screwed up a 400 pound lineman might hit em vs. having to make a 3 to 5 foot come back putt. :D

Not sure about you, but IMO most would agree they would concentrate alot harder knowing if they screwed up a 400 pound lineman might hit em vs. having to make a 3 to 5 foot come back putt. :D

I disagree. You may be very focused on NOT getting hit which is NOT the same as concentrating on making the play.