[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Turner

fitzkek

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been so much talk, debate, misleading info that I've tuned out to this and could almost care less anymore. As a MT owner in two leagues I'd love to see something happen this year- but I'm tired of getting my hopes up. Start planning for next year and if something happens this year then merry christmas!

Here's my thinking from each team's perspective:

Bills -- #12 pick is too high to trade for Turner. They'll probably see what's waiting for them in the 2nd-round and, if they don't like their options, they'll see if the Chargers will accept a high 2nd or an '08 1st.

Packers -- For Ted Thompson, the #16 pick is too high to trade for Turner. He'll probably wait for the Chargers to call in the 2nd round, to see if he can get Turner cheaper.

Titans -- RB isn't a big enough need for them to give up their 1st-rounder for Turner. They'd probably give up their 2nd, but, as with the other teams, they're at the mercy of the Chargers.

Chargers -- They'd take a 1st-rounder now, but AJ Smith understands (by now) that he's probably not going to get one this year. Also knowing he could almost definitely get a 2nd, why not wait and make sure there's a player he wants at the Bills', Packers', or Titans' 2nd-round slot?

I expect something to happen on draft day, even if it only involves '08 picks.

Bills -- #12 pick is too high to trade for Turner. They'll probably see what's waiting for them in the 2nd-round and, if they don't like their options, they'll see if the Chargers will accept a high 2nd or an '08 1st.

Packers -- For Ted Thompson, the #16 pick is too high to trade for Turner. He'll probably wait for the Chargers to call in the 2nd round, to see if he can get Turner cheaper.

Titans -- RB isn't a big enough need for them to give up their 1st-rounder for Turner. They'd probably give up their 2nd, but, as with the other teams, they're at the mercy of the Chargers.

Chargers -- They'd take a 1st-rounder now, but AJ Smith understands (by now) that he's probably not going to get one this year. Also knowing he could almost definitely get a 2nd, why not wait and make sure there's a player he wants at the Bills', Packers', or Titans' 2nd-round slot?

Hopin' you're right, Swiss. I think the best situation would be the Titans, followed by the Packers and the Bills. Unfortunately the likelihood of a trade is in the opposite order, most likely.

Sssso, they're comfortable with the LenDale White as RB? I don't see that at all.

Hopin' you're right, Swiss. I think the best situation would be the Titans, followed by the Packers and the Bills. Unfortunately the likelihood of a trade is in the opposite order, most likely.

Sssso, they're comfortable with the LenDale White as RB? I don't see that at all.

:D Yeah, I didn't even give Pillsbury White consideration when I typed the above response. Although, with some slimming down, a 2-headed monster of White and Turner would probably be pretty solid.

:D Yeah, I didn't even give Pillsbury White consideration when I typed the above response. Although, with some slimming down, a 2-headed monster of White and Turner would probably be pretty solid.

:D

He wouldnt shed pounds for the National Championship, Combine, or his rookie season...

Why would he now?

Thanks. Good insight as always. I have an awful date to name keepers is all. I have to submit them by noon of Draft Saturday. So, I have to roll the dice and keep him and hope he gets traded or just drop him and take a chance of drafting him again.

From today's Union-Tribune:

WITH TURNER, SMITH DRIVES HARD BARGAIN

by Nick Canepa

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

As the NFL draft approaches and the Michael Turner soup starts to boil, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith has put on his cowboy hat and scarf, has his six-shooter packed by his side and is standing tall in the saddle. He's in full John Wayne mode. It becomes him.

Put it this way: If you want what he's got, don't plan on robbery. Isn't going to happen while The Duke's wearing the badge and holding the ace.

Turner, as you well know by now, is tailback LaDainian Tomlinson's backup, but he's no ordinary reserve. He's real good. He's averaged 6 yards a carry. But he's a restricted free agent, meaning he can talk to any team in The League. If an offer is made, the Chargers can match it to keep him. If no deal is forthcoming and Turner returns, he's unrestricted next year and probably will leave.

Thing is, knowing Turner's value, Smith has put first-and third-round draft tenders on him, meaning the club that wants Turner would have to give up those picks. Smith, normally about as flexible as a diamond, seems willing to bend a bit, but he still wants plenty. Don't bother bringing the wool close to his eyes.

“It's still a 1 and a 3,” says Smith, now busy working with his scouts on the April 28-29 draft. “I'm flexible. What I mean is that I recognize that a 1 and a 3 would paralyze a team's draft. So work with us.

“Six teams are still very interested. I can only tell you two, Buffalo and Tennessee, because they don't care if it's known. I'm sworn to secrecy on the others. They're trying to stay under the radar. A lot of people are scared to death to let it out. I'm amazed this is going on, but I told them I'd only verify if you come out. Teams love me because of that. I tell them I'd like to have a 1 and a 3 in '07 or '08. You guys decide what it's worth.”

Turner has visited and worked out for Buffalo and Tennessee, who for some ridiculous reason allowed their most productive runners to leave after the season. So they need a back, and there aren't many available in this draft – perhaps none with Turner's ability. He's also a dangerous kickoff return man.

Plus, unlike Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson and Cal's Marshawn Lynch, Turner, who just turned 25, is a known commodity. Over three seasons, he has carried the ball 157 times for 941 yards. Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden calls Peterson the best running back prospect he's seen in many years, but I'm not sure he's better than Turner. Peterson runs upright and is not immune to injury. Turner is fresh.

Anyway, the quest for Turner has not ceased, not by any means. But we might not know for certain until draft day. As Smith says, this is a three-way street between the Chargers, the suitors and Turner's agent.

“If nothing happens, I'm perfectly happy to have Michael return here at $2.35 (million),” Smith says. “He'll be a backup here and kick returner. People say A.J.'s stupid to bring him back and (eventually) let him walk. The league probably will throw me a No. 4 (compensatory pick) if that happens. I'll take a 4.

“I know what I'm doing. My mind is clear. It will only be a bonus for us if something happens. Those two teams are the front-runners, but interest from the six has been consistent two weeks before the (March) owners meetings, through the owners meetings, and now.

“I think they're going to try and get a 2 out of me. Good luck, guys. If he doesn't go anywhere, we have a great, great insurance policy.”

Smith doesn't know if he'd accept a high second-round choice. It would depend on who's available and what he's looking for.

“That would have to be very, very special,” he says. “But I'll leave that open. They may plan on giving me what I want, but that won't happen until the draft.”

Smith won't fold, because he doesn't have to. This is a GM who looks into the future. He can count cards, so he knows he has the players to win, which is why other teams covet his athletes, such as Turner, which is why he's locked so many of them up through 2009.

He won't give Turner away, and he shouldn't. He didn't give away his best back and then go looking for someone else's legs. Smith is not afraid to gamble, which sets him apart from many of his conservative brethren. But he isn't an idiot, either.

“Now the bluffing game is on,” he says, “and it could go all the way to the draft. We don't want to give up on a No. 1. It's very much on the front burner, and it hasn't subsided. The game is on now.”

Smith looks at it as he might the OK Corral. He obviously doesn't mind his image.

“Don't be stupid,” he says. “But step out there, get on your horse and ride into town. Let 'em know you're coming down the street.”

Come, Duke, the game is afoot.

Also appearing in today's paper:

TURNER KEY TO CHARGER'S ASCENT

Points in trade could help team move up in draft

By Jim Trotter

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

If the Chargers trade restricted free-agent running back Michael Turner before the April 28-29 NFL draft, they could be in a great position to trade up and possibly select a franchise-type player.

The defending AFC West champions don't have many holes on their roster after going 14-2 last season, but they could use upgrades at wide receiver and safety.

Most NFL people believe Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson and LSU safety LaRon Landry are the dominant prospects at their positions, with everyone else a notch below. Each is expected to be drafted among the top 10 picks – with Johnson possibly going No. 1 overall.

The Chargers hold the 30th pick. But that could change if they deal Turner for a first-round pick this year, then package that choice with one or more of their own picks to move up.

Based on the trade chart obtained from NFL.com, the Chargers would need at least 1,400 points to get as high as No. 8 and have a shot at Landry, who isn't expected to last beyond that spot. Their 30th pick is worth 620 points, based on the chart, so theoretically they would need an additional 780 points to make a deal work.

Enter the Bills and the Titans, who have expressed strong interest in Turner. If the Chargers can acquire either of their first-round picks this year – Buffalo selects 12th, Tennessee 19th – they would have more than enough points to get into the eighth spot.

The Bills' pick is worth 1,200 points, the Titans' 875. At a minimum, the Chargers would have 1,495 points if they combined their first-round pick with that of the Titans. They would have 1,820 if they combined it with the Bills' selection, which, according to the chart, would give them enough points to get into the fourth spot.

Of course, the Chargers could always add more picks – or even players – to try to get higher. But even that wouldn't necessarily guarantee a deal, because most teams don't view the trade chart as an absolute.

“It's really just a tool,” Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis said. “There's no hard-and-fast rule with it, and then if you introduce a player into the mix, it skews the whole thing. You're off the charts, basically.

“But I think there is some value in it, particularly when you're talking to a team that uses the chart and believes in it. Then at least you can talk apples and apples.”

The deadline for another team to sign a restricted free agent is Friday, although a trade could be completed after that date.

Teams have until Friday to do some "poison pill" action.

After that, all the cards are in the Chargers' hands.

Thanks. Good insight as always. I have an awful date to name keepers is all. I have to submit them by noon of Draft Saturday. So, I have to roll the dice and keep him and hope he gets traded or just drop him and take a chance of drafting him again.

That is absolutely ridiculous...gotta get that changed bro.

I think it's in AJ's best interest to trade him now so he can control where he goes. If he ends up siging with a division rival (Denver :D ) in '08, he'll be doing a whole lot of :D .

This is an excellent point. Trick is to get as much as you can for him while also controlling where he goes. That's IF Smith trades him. This team has SB aspirations and Turner backing up LT is an incredibly productive security blanket.

From ESPN:

Turner staying put?

<Apr. 20> It's looking increasingly like Turner, the much-coveted backup to San Diego star RB LaDainian Tomlinson, might remain with the Chargers for another year, rather than be traded, writes Len Pasquarelli.

The two franchises most interested in trying to pry Turner away, Buffalo and Tennessee, remain in contact with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, but a deal does not seem imminent. It's unlikely the Chargers will give up Turner without getting a first-round pick in return.

From ESPN:

Turner staying put?

<Apr. 20> It's looking increasingly like Turner, the much-coveted backup to San Diego star RB LaDainian Tomlinson, might remain with the Chargers for another year, rather than be traded, writes Len Pasquarelli.

The two franchises most interested in trying to pry Turner away, Buffalo and Tennessee, remain in contact with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, but a deal does not seem imminent. It's unlikely the Chargers will give up Turner without getting a first-round pick in return.

If this happens, A.J. Smith is one stubborn SOB.