[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick is on CNN Headline news right now

Gunther

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it wasn't very long.

Link

Vick to be sentenced Dec. 10 after guilty plea

ESPN.com news services

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick pleaded guilty Monday to a federal dogfighting charge and awaited a Dec. 10 sentencing date that could send the NFL star to prison.

In a statement before the media Monday, Vick said he took full responsibility for his actions. "I will redeem myself. I have to," he said.

"First, I want to apologize for all the things that I have done and I have allowed to happen. I want to personally apologize to Commissioner Goodell, Arthur Blank, Coach Bobby Petrino, and my Atlanta Falcons teammates, for I was not honest and forthright in our discussions," Vick said.

"I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself, to say the least. I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts. What I did was very immature, so that means I need to grow up."

Vick said he now has rejected dogfighting and has found religion as a result of the federal charges. "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it," he said.

"I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to better Michael Vick the person, not the football player," Vick said.

"I take full responsibility for my actions … I am totally responsible."

The plea by the suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback was accepted by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson, who asked: "Are you entering the plea of guilty to a conspiracy charge because you are in fact guilty?"

Vick replied, "Yes, sir."

Hudson emphasized he is not bound by sentencing guidelines and can impose the maximum sentence of up to five years in prison.

"You're taking your chances here. You'll have to live with whatever decision I make," Hudson.

In his written plea filed in federal court Friday, Vick admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He said he did not personally place any bets or share in any winnings.

The NFL suspended him indefinitely and without pay Friday after his plea agreement was filed. Merely associating with gamblers can trigger a lifetime ban under the league's personal conduct policy.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Vick stands to lose approximately $100 million because of his conviction.

Federal prosecutors recommended 12-18 months in prison.

"A first-time offender might well receive no jail time for this offense," U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said in a statement. "We thought, however, that the conduct in this conspiracy was heinous, cruel and inhumane" so three of the four defendants, including Vick, should receive harsher sentences.

The first defendant to plead guilty left the conspiracy in 2004 and is not as culpable, he said.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's rural Surry County property and seized dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

Vick's plea came hours before the Falcons are scheduled to play an exhibition game at home against the Cincinnati Bengals. This will be the first chance for the team to see what effect Vick's case has on attendance at the Georgia Dome. Vick wears the biggest-selling jersey in team history and is given much credit for the team's 51 consecutive sellouts.

After initially denying his involvement, Vick has said little publicly about the case. Privately, he met with Goodell and Falcons owner Arthur Blank when the investigation was just beginning, and almost certainly lied to both.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Vick said he now has rejected dogfighting and has found religion as a result of the federal charges. "Dogfighting is a terrible thing. I reject it," he said.

He found religion? Now he's playing the "I found God" card... Whatever. Hes a thug. Ill believe he is a different person after he gets out and has served time. That outta open his eyes more than just not having a football career.

He found religion? Now he's playing the "I found God" card... Whatever. Hes a thug.

Some people actually do when something traumatic happens to them. The jury is still out on Vick (no pun intended), but it would be a big step towards his recovery as a human being.

For anybody who saw him talking, he looked pretty sincere. That doesn't mean that much right now though, but he said some very positive things and things you wanted to hear. For as bad of a situation he is in, he did the best he could. He wasn't reading anything and that impressed me the most.

For anybody who saw him talking, he looked pretty sincere. That doesn't mean that much right now though, but he said some very positive things and things you wanted to hear. For as bad of a situation he is in, he did the best he could. He wasn't reading anything and that impressed me the most.

I agree. I am disgusted at what he amitted to doing, but he said the right things in the press conference and he seemed to do it without looking through notes, or what seemed a well rehearsed script.

He found religion? Now he's playing the "I found God" card... Whatever. Hes a thug. Ill believe he is a different person after he gets out and has served time. That outta open his eyes more than just not having a football career.

Most people find God when they are at their lowest point. It is in a time of need that you find all your faults and realize you need forgiveness. I thought it was a very sincere statement. Everyone deserves forgiveness and I can only hope he does come out a better/changed man.

Some people actually do when something traumatic happens to them. The jury is still out on Vick (no pun intended), but it would be a big step towards his recovery as a human being.

Most people find God when they are at their lowest point. It is in a time of need that you find all your faults and realize you need forgiveness. I thought it was a very sincere statement. Everyone deserves forgiveness and I can only hope he does come out a better/changed man.

While I certainly understand that anyone can find god and it be an impact on their lives, I have to say that when I read his statement I did the ole :D . It's just hard to buy into a guy who changes his feelings about something so quickly because he's been busted on it. I have a hard time believing that it's as sincere as he'd like us to believe it is. The man's been in dogfighting for who knows how long, and in 1-2 months time he's now "seen the light" . Call me skeptical still.

While I certainly understand that anyone can find god and it be an impact on their lives, I have to say that when I read his statement I did the ole :D . It's just hard to buy into a guy who changes his feelings about something so quickly because he's been busted on it. I have a hard time believing that it's as sincere as he'd like us to believe it is. The man's been in dogfighting for who knows how long, and in 1-2 months time he's now "seen the light" . Call me skeptical still.

Nothing wrong with being skeptical, as people play the "Jesus card" all of the time. Let's hope that he's serious about it.

We'll find out soon enough, his estranged father is writing a tell all book

This guy might be more of a Megan Fox than Vick. He reportedly asked his son for large sums of money (hundreds of thousands) on multiple occasions and was refused. Apparently junior didn't accept his blackmail offer. :D

That's just horrible. Regardless of my relationship with my children, I would NEVER drag them through the mud like that. What a terrible way to treat your own flesh and blood. :D

And we wonder how people like Vick are so morally corrupt. It begins at home.

This guy might be more of a Megan Fox than Vick. He reportedly asked his son for large sums of money (hundreds of thousands) on multiple occasions and was refused. Apparently junior didn't accept his blackmail offer. :D

That's just horrible. Regardless of my relationship with my children, I would NEVER drag them through the mud like that. What a terrible way to treat your own flesh and blood. :D

And we wonder how people like Vick are so morally corrupt. It begins at home.

Well said, this guy should be ashamed of himself and for people to call him a father is a complete joke.

+1

Talk is cheap. And so far that is the story of Vick's life. At every point in his life when he's done something wrong, he appologizes for it, the media/fans/league/whoever, accepts it, and then later on, he does something else wrong. He never found religion at any of those points in his life because he continued to be treated as special and got away with whatever it is he did. Now he's facing jail time, a league suspension, loss of millions of dollars and we're supposed to believe everything in his life has changed? It's not just religon Mike, there's other things that need to change. It's your thug attitude, it's your friends, it's your lifestyle. Until I see otherwise, it's just someone saying the right things at the right time.

As I was taught at a very young age. Judge people by their actions.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

I am perfectly fine with the idea that Vick may indeed have "found religion" as a result of going through this mess and realizing that guilt is more than just a feeling in the pit of your stomach, but is a true state of being. What makes me a little skeptical though, is the fact that he has announced his conversion in such a manner. If you are converted, then simply BE converted. But don't use it as a way to try to gain public sympathy when you are finally brought under the microscope of the justice system.