[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Birthday Dinner

policyvote

Just got back from Texas Roadhouse, where I completed a glorious birthday dinner. I cleaned my plate of a 38 oz. NY Strip steak (medium rare, cooked perfectly to my order), a pedestrian Ceasar salad, and green beans (with bacon . . . because like, everything has to have meat in it). I washed it down with two iced schooners of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat (a Belgian-style wheat ale). Got a T-shirt and my picture on the Wall of Fame.

The steak is aged and cut on-site, and as I said it was a textbook medium-rare, all the way through. It was served as two 17.5 oz steaks connected by cartilage, but it was still a hell of a lot of beautfiul meat. Seared well, just salt and pepper for seasoning, It was heaven. The beer was an affordable surprise, as Leinie's stuff always is. Pretty textbook belgian-style wheat ale; a nice balance between the cartoony flavors of a Blue Moon and a real Belgian like Hoegaarden.

Combined with (pending the closing gun on the 9ers game) a perfect sweep of a football weekend, I haven't had this satisfying of a birthday in years.

I don't think I'll eat tomorrow. Yum!

Peace

policy

Sounds tasty although I don't think I could take down 38oz but I would give it an effort.

How much did that run you between you and your wife? $70? Just curious, my bday is approaching and that sounds like a good idea.

Sounds tasty although I don't think I could take down 38oz but I would give it an effort.

How much did that run you between you and your wife? $70? Just curious, my bday is approaching and that sounds like a good idea.

They don't offer a 38oz at the one in St. Louis. I think the largest I saw was 18oz. Have to admit, for a chain the steaks weren't that bad.

My guess on price...easily under $70 if you're not pounding beers.

awesome!

a while ago gil suggested i try leinenkugel.... finally got around to it a few weeks ago when i brought home a 6 of the sunset wheat and the honey weiss... much preferred the sunset.

Yeah, Leinie's is sort of like "The Best You Can Do For $5.99 A Sixer" with the Honey Weiss, Berry Weiss, Lienie's Red, etc., but the Sunseat Wheat is a legitmately good beer, IMO.

Peace

policy

You are in Michigan, eating a a place with Texas in it's name which is owned by people from Indiana. It is an odd world.

Indeed. I love how on the back of the menu, they have "The Legendary Texas Roadhouse Story":

"Sometime in the early 90s, a couple of rich guys from Indiana figured they could make even more money with a chain of themed restaurants. The rest is history . . ."

That is seriously only a slight paraphrase.

Peace

policy

Actually, for Ribeye, Strip, and Sirlion above 32 oz., they just charge a dollar an ounce, which includes two sides. They'll serve you any size you want up to 88 oz. There is guy on the wall of fame who ate an 82 oz. cut of ribeye . . . that dude got a big picture and frame all to himself, LOL.

My wife had a salad, my kids split a kids' meal, I had the two big beers, plus I bought an appetizer for the assembled witnesses (friends) . . . $62 before tip IIRC. Not too shabby.

Peace

policy

They don't offer a 38oz at the one in St. Louis. I think the largest I saw was 18oz. Have to admit, for a chain the steaks weren't that bad.

My guess on price...easily under $70 if you're not pounding beers.

Yeah, they're not on the regular menu . . . there used to be a "big steak" menu, but it was clearly made by the local one here (32 oz. Ribeye cut called "The Sparty", etc.). Since they cut them on-site, they should be able to cut you any size you ask. I've done 32 oz. of Ribeye nd 38 oz. of Strip here at Texas Roadhouse, and I did a 32 oz. Prime Rib (with bone) at Shula's Steakhouse . . . my goal is to someday take down the 48 oz. porterhouse they serve at Shula's.

Peace

policy

Yeah, they're not on the regular menu . . . there used to be a "big steak" menu, but it was clearly made by the local one here (32 oz. Ribeye cut called "The Sparty", etc.). Since they cut them on-site, they should be able to cut you any size you ask. I've done 32 oz. of Ribeye nd 38 oz. of Strip here at Texas Roadhouse, and I did a 32 oz. Prime Rib (with bone) at Shula's Steakhouse . . . my goal is to someday take down the 48 oz. porterhouse they serve at Shula's.

Peace

policy

That's a lota beef yo. :drool:

In AZ their used to be a place called Cluk Cue Chicken home of the hottest chicken wings in the valley and at the time $5.00 picher refills. They used to have these wings called the 911s and if you eat them you were on the hall of flame. I know if you eat those wings your :D will be on fire! Their is a place in Costa Mesa CA called La Cave and they put out oner of the best steaks in the OC even better that Mortens and Mastros.

Just got back from Texas Roadhouse, where I completed a glorious birthday dinner. I cleaned my plate of a 38 oz. NY Strip steak (medium rare, cooked perfectly to my order), a pedestrian Ceasar salad, and green beans (with bacon . . . because like, everything has to have meat in it). I washed it down with two iced schooners of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat (a Belgian-style wheat ale). Got a T-shirt and my picture on the Wall of Fame.

The steak is aged and cut on-site, and as I said it was a textbook medium-rare, all the way through. It was served as two 17.5 oz steaks connected by cartilage, but it was still a hell of a lot of beautfiul meat. Seared well, just salt and pepper for seasoning, It was heaven. The beer was an affordable surprise, as Leinie's stuff always is. Pretty textbook belgian-style wheat ale; a nice balance between the cartoony flavors of a Blue Moon and a real Belgian like Hoegaarden.

Combined with (pending the closing gun on the 9ers game) a perfect sweep of a football weekend, I haven't had this satisfying of a birthday in years.

I don't think I'll eat tomorrow. Yum!

Peace

policy

Sounds f'in awesome. Sunset Wheat is one of my recent favorites. Good call on its similarities to Blue Moon and Hoegaarden.

If you can finish the 48 oz. Porterhouse at Shula's, you get a trophy and your name on the website. At least, that's what my server told me.

Peace

policy

I could kill that. :wacko:

In AZ their used to be a place called Cluk Cue Chicken home of the hottest chicken wings in the valley and at the time $5.00 picher refills. They used to have these wings called the 911s and if you eat them you were on the hall of flame. I know if you eat those wings your :D will be on fire! Their is a place in Costa Mesa CA called La Cave and they put out oner of the best steaks in the OC even better that Mortens and Mastros.

Ah, I miss La Cave. And Pierce St. And Garf's. And Philly. And The Huddle.

:D

La Cave is good? Guess I wil lhave to give it a try.... I can picture the sign for the restaurant, what street is it on?

It's on Irvine Ave., just south of 17th St. in Costa Mesa (right on Newport Beach border) by Newport Harbor HS.

I would kill for a case of Leinies. :D

Not distributed in Texas. :D

Bullhooey, I get Sunset Wheats all the time here in Austin.