[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favre to retire in 2010?

Randall

Packers QB Favre Ponders Future

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel -

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=665333

In a national conference call Wednesday, Green Bay Packers QB Brett Favre was asked whether the success of the Packers this season would affect his decision to play on for a couple more years. In no uncertain terms, he said yes. "If I play at a high enough level and we, meaning this team and organization, come close or get into the playoffs, have some success, but are just a little bit away, they still feel like I can play, want to pay me what they're paying me to lead this team, and I still felt like I have it left, yes, I see no reasons why (not)," Favre said.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he can play another few years easily. Let's face it, he's probably still better than half the starters in the league.
I'll believe that when I see it. The last few years he's been erratic at best and often flat-out pathetic. That stat ho should have retired awhile back.

I'll believe that when I see it. The last few years he's been erratic at best and often flat-out pathetic. That stat ho should have retired awhile back.

Tell me 7-8 QB's you would want as your starter over favre? Not based on starting a team with the future in mind. I am saying right now for the rest of this season. I come up with 5 - 6 at the most.

Edited by gbpfan1231

Tell me 7-8 QB's you would want as your starter over favre? Not based on starting a team with the future in mind. I am saying right now for the rest of this season. I come up with 5 - 6 at the most.

...off the top of my head, I can come up with quite a few more than 5-6...

Clearly better:

Brady

PManning

Palmer

Probably prefer:

Bulger

McNabb

Hasslebeck

Romo

EManning

Schaub

Roethlisberger

Delhomme

Brees

Garrard

Toss up:

Kitna (meh QB, great system)

Cutler

VYoung

Lenart

Rivers

Garcia

JCampbell

CPennington

Favre wins:

Huard

TJackson

ASmith

Grossman

DAnderson

Harrington

TGreen

Losman

McCown

...off the top of my head, I can come up with quite a few more than 5-6...

Clearly better:

Brady

PManning

Palmer

Probably prefer:

Bulger

McNabb

Hasslebeck

Romo

EManning

Schaub

Roethlisberger

Delhomme

Brees

Garrard

Toss up:

Kitna (meh QB, great system)

Cutler

VYoung

Lenart

Rivers

Garcia

JCampbell

CPennington

Favre wins:

Huard

TJackson

ASmith

Grossman

DAnderson

Harrington

TGreen

Losman

McCown

I'll stick with my "better than half" statement, especially seeing as how high you must be to "probably prefer" Eli, Garrard and Matt Schaub over him and think someone like jason Campbell(!) is a wash. :D

Edited by Pope Flick

Packer fan here and I can come up with many more. Brett has few receivers and takes too many chances. Once again his only healthy WR is Driver and he may be hurt.

I want to know if they do keep him say another 3 yrs. That is one damn expensive backup. So do they draft another 1st rounder by then. Because obvioulsy they believe Farve can take them to the promise land if he stays on till 2010 and Rodgers contract should be up by then correct?

Is there any chance he's saying this so he and the team aren't mired in a Favre farewell tour this season? Him and the team have been through so much drama about his retirement over the last...how many years? Could it be that he's trying to keep the focus on the field this time?

I wouldn't put it past him. It would be a more graceful exit.

I hope Brett retires after this season and I'm still a big fan. It's time.

I'll stick with my "better than half" statement, especially seeing as how high you must be to "probably prefer" Eli, Garrard and Matt Schaub over him and think someone like jason Campbell(!) is a wash. :D

Oh, I'd definately say that there are AT LEAST 12 QBs that are worse than he is.

So, stick Garrard, Eli and Schaub into the "toss up" category and drop Campbell to the "Favre wins" category, there are 10 better, 10 about the same and 11 worse.

Can't get much more middle-of-the-road than that.

Oh, I'd definately say that there are AT LEAST 12 QBs that are worse than he is.

So, stick Garrard, Eli and Schaub into the "toss up" category and drop Campbell to the "Favre wins" category, there are 10 better, 10 about the same and 11 worse.

Can't get much more middle-of-the-road than that.

You're Manning and two guys who have started less than 12 games over a 3 time MVP that has played with very little as far as receivers and backs go, along with a rebuilding line. You are a fool.

Brett, can you just go away already? Haven't we (Bears Fans) suffered enough? :D

Bears Fan Prayer:

"Dear God...please look after Mom and Dad and Jeff and Fido. Please help me find my old VHS copy of the Superbowl Shuffle...I know it's out in the garage somewhere.

And also God...I know we've talked about this...could you please PLEASE make Favre retire? How could you allow such a bad thing to happen to me for so long.

Amen."

:D

I don't get people who push for the retirement of allstar athletes. I disagree with the contention that Favre is "middle of the road", but even if he is, why is that a reason for him to retire? Do you honestly think he's a worse QB at this point in his career than some of the guys who have won or played in Super Bowls over the last decade?

Trent Dilfer? No

Brad Johnson? No

Kerry Collins? No

Rex Grossman? No way in hell.

With the way the defense is shaping up and considering the state of the NFC, the Packers are a playoff contender. Essentially, all they need is 6-7 more wins and they're in. Why fault Favre for wanting to make another run or two at it? Bottom line is his heart is still in it and he still has the talent to be a QB who can lead his team to the playoffs. The rest is irrellevant.