[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best buy-low / sell high candidates

MTSuper7

OK, so through the first 4 weeks, I wanted to get a thread going on what players people see as good buy low candidates and sell high candidates right now. I'll start with some I have in mind:

Guys to sell high:

Steve Smith, WR - With David Carr at QB, Smith takes a huge hit, but not everyone might agree. Personally, I would try to pawn him off to someone still overvaluing him. I'll bet you could get someone like Donald Driver for him.

Santonio Holmes, WR - Coming off a monster game, and potentially with Ward out again, Holmes might be in for another big game. But the Steeler offense is quite run-oriented, and Holmes has probably reached his peak value.

Adrian Peterson, RB - So, he's leading the NFC in rushing... He only had 12 carries last week, and his fantasy value is strongly tied to his ability to break long runs / TDs. Also, the passing game is horrendous, so teams will be keying to stop the run. Factor in Mewelde Moore getting 3rd down looks, and I just don't think the opportunity will be there. I'd sell him if I can get a #1WR or decent RB that is not in a committee (say,

Guys to buy-low:

Thomas Jones, RB - Shaky start to the season, and TJ owners might get impatient and trade him cheaply. His health is the only concern here - Pennington coming back will help too.

Larry Fitzgerald, WR - It looks like Anquan Boldin's hip is going to be an ongoing problem, and though Fitzgerald is widely regarded as a #1 WR, he hasn't put up consistent numbers or TDs.

Vernon Davis, TE - In general, the TE can be a good safety valve for a QB when they are under pressure or just flat out can't find anyone else open. I know Dilfer is the QB for at least a month, and I know Davis is hurt. These are reasons why you can probably get him for nothing right now. If you're really desperate at TE, I'm thinking the Davis owner in your league might be willing to part ways with him for a low end WR or backup RB (Jerious Norwood?). He's quick, physical, and likely to have a decent role in the offense when he comes back (it had already started before he got hurt).

Any thoughts on my picks above? Anyone else come to mind?

? How is S Smith a "sell high" when he hasn't done squat the last couple weeks and Delhomme is messed up? His value is about as low as it's going to get. And IMO you have to be smoking seriously illegal drugs to want to sell Moss, unless you're getting LT or Brady or some such similarly huge deal. Otherwise some good calls though.

I would add Evans to the buy low list, as well as Brees and Bush, as I think Nawlins is going to get it together shortly and get back to kicking butt. Tempted to say Cooley is a buy low too but Campbell sucks so maybe not.....

Sell highs might include Winslow (IMO he won't keep up this pace and you should be able to find a "good enough" TE out there if you don't already have one), in fact Edwards and Anderson too.

Im trying to buy Lee Evans and Holt low in my main local..The same guy has both of them but he isnt budging

Edited by whomper

I think Marvin Harrison might be able to be bought low. He's injured, and he hasn't produced TD's since week 1. BUT, it's not from lack of opportunity. Harrison had 3 passes in the end zone where he was wide open against TEN, but Manning was off target on the passes and they were tipped away. Against Houston there was another deep pass where Marv was open at the back of the end zone, but Manning was late and short, allowing Von Hutchins to tip it away. He is still a prime target of Manning's, they just haven't connected for scores the last few weeks. That won't last.

OK, so through the first 4 weeks, I wanted to get a thread going on what players people see as good buy low candidates and sell high candidates right now. I'll start with some I have in mind:

Guys to sell high:

Steve Smith, WR - With David Carr at QB, Smith takes a huge hit, but not everyone might agree. Personally, I would try to pawn him off to someone still overvaluing him. I'll bet you could get someone like Donald Driver for him.

Santonio Holmes, WR - Coming off a monster game, and potentially with Ward out again, Holmes might be in for another big game. But the Steeler offense is quite run-oriented, and Holmes has probably reached his peak value.

Adrian Peterson, RB - So, he's leading the NFC in rushing... He only had 12 carries last week, and his fantasy value is strongly tied to his ability to break long runs / TDs. Also, the passing game is horrendous, so teams will be keying to stop the run. Factor in Mewelde Moore getting 3rd down looks, and I just don't think the opportunity will be there. I'd sell him if I can get a #1WR or decent RB that is not in a committee (say,

Guys to buy-low:

Thomas Jones, RB - Shaky start to the season, and TJ owners might get impatient and trade him cheaply. His health is the only concern here - Pennington coming back will help too.

Larry Fitzgerald, WR - It looks like Anquan Boldin's hip is going to be an ongoing problem, and though Fitzgerald is widely regarded as a #1 WR, he hasn't put up consistent numbers or TDs.

Vernon Davis, TE - In general, the TE can be a good safety valve for a QB when they are under pressure or just flat out can't find anyone else open. I know Dilfer is the QB for at least a month, and I know Davis is hurt. These are reasons why you can probably get him for nothing right now. If you're really desperate at TE, I'm thinking the Davis owner in your league might be willing to part ways with him for a low end WR or backup RB (Jerious Norwood?). He's quick, physical, and likely to have a decent role in the offense when he comes back (it had already started before he got hurt).

Any thoughts on my picks above? Anyone else come to mind?

How about Darrell Jackson?

I have many buy low guys on my teams......tellls ya how I'm doing.... :D

I just need a few of them to start performing as expected.......

? How is S Smith a "sell high" when he hasn't done squat the last couple weeks and Delhomme is messed up? His value is about as low as it's going to get. And IMO you have to be smoking seriously illegal drugs to want to sell Moss, unless you're getting LT or Brady or some such similarly huge deal. Otherwise some good calls though.

I would add Evans to the buy low list, as well as Brees and Bush, as I think Nawlins is going to get it together shortly and get back to kicking butt. Tempted to say Cooley is a buy low too but Campbell sucks so maybe not.....

Sell highs might include Winslow (IMO he won't keep up this pace and you should be able to find a "good enough" TE out there if you don't already have one), in fact Edwards and Anderson too.

I only included Steve Smith as a "sell high" candidate based on reputation. He had a 3TD game a few weeks ago and historically is a top 3 WR. My point is that I think he can be sold in exchange for some pretty good value right now, as some people have a hard time forgetting about 3TD games, etc.

I'm a little surprised not to see the name Larry Johnson crop up as a buy low candidate. The Chiefs have the look of a team that might start to get things together offensively here in the next couple of weeks. He's a risky guy to target though, and most owners who spent a 1st round pick on him will feel they can't give up on him.

I've got to say, many of you must play in leagues with total idiots. I have never been able to get a 1st round RB on the cheap this early in the season unless there was a damned good reason like a bad injury (in which case you wouldn't want him anyway).

I mean, I'm having a hard enough time convincing a guy who's best WR is Holt and it gets really ugly from there that we should build a trade based on my WRs not named Chad Johnson(S Holmes, L Fitz, J Galloway, L Coles).

I've got to say, many of you must play in leagues with total idiots. I have never been able to get a 1st round RB on the cheap this early in the season unless there was a damned good reason like a bad injury (in which case you wouldn't want him anyway).

I mean, I'm having a hard enough time convincing a guy who's best WR is Holt and it gets really ugly from there that we should build a trade based on my WRs not named Chad Johnson(S Holmes, L Fitz, J Galloway, L Coles).

It's practically impossible to get a 1st round RB "cheap", but you have a better chance of getting them while giving up less value. The Larry Johnson owner in one of my leagues has been dangling him out there because he's pretty desperate for a WR right now. If I had Steve Smith, I'd offer that trade and would feel like I made out like a bandit. I'm sure he'd take it too.

And for the record, most leagues have at least one idiot (or at least one person who makes an idiot trade in a moment of weakness).

what'd you have to give up?

Had to give up Willis and Fitzgerald...

I actually think it's a pretty fair trade - might be a little expensive, but I have solid WRs (Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Mason, Welker, Jenkins, Lance Moore).

Willis is consistent, but not explosive. The other owner had become squeemish due to Charger issues/headlines, etc.

I drafted 12th and really lacked explosive players.... not any more... (Hopefully)

Edited by ced1001

It's practically impossible to get a 1st round RB "cheap", but you have a better chance of getting them while giving up less value. The Larry Johnson owner in one of my leagues has been dangling him out there because he's pretty desperate for a WR right now. If I had Steve Smith, I'd offer that trade and would feel like I made out like a bandit. I'm sure he'd take it too.

And for the record, most leagues have at least one idiot (or at least one person who makes an idiot trade in a moment of weakness).

Funny, I find the idiots are the hardest to trade with. They're like the guy in Monopoly who always proposes or counters with completely insane deals. The same guy who drafted poorly tends to be the one who refuses to admit that the RB you picked up in the 10th round but is going off to the tune of 120 and a TD per game is actually an upgrade over the "stud" he took in the 1st or 2nd round who's not doing crap.

IMO, Holmes hasn't reached his peak value. This isn't Kevin Curtis we're talking about here. 2nd year, first WR taken last year, and a clearly slumping Ward. Yeah he had a monster game but this kid is better and more explosive than Ward... and Ward did pretty well for himself from 2001-2005. Ward does a lot of intangibles better than Holmes right now but Holmes can pick a lot of that stuff up.

Mewelde Moore is inactive if Chester Taylor is healthy. This kid has produced WITHOUT a passing game the first few games and Taylor produced last year WITHOUT a passing game. This team can run at will (also see ATL that last few years). Childress is giving much lip service to mixing it up and keeping both guys fresh but the fact is that it's the AD show. You have to think this epiphany will smack in the moustache fairly soon.

BTW re: needing a passing game to run well... GB is 2nd in passing but is dead last in rushing.

Fitz can be a No.1 WR. When Boldin is around his looks and touches decrease fairly significantly. Boldin missing time increases Fitz's value.

My sell high candidates...

GB WRs NOT named Driver--Jones and Jennings can't keep this pace for the season. GB will look to establish some assemblence of a run game and this will likely make Jennings or Jones much less reliable FF options down the stretch.

Braylon Edwards--he's been amazing since week 2 but I just don't think he can keep the pace ESPECIALLY if Winslow succumbs to the shoulder injury.

Lamont Jordan--I think his highest value is already passed but I think you'd be able to get an owner to bet against him missing much time due to this injury and believing that Rhodes/Fargas will not significantly cut into his carries.

Burress--He's on a bum ankle and he's on a torrid TD pace. Does around 20 TDs even look right as a season ending statline for him? Does 25+ TDs even look right for Eli? Also, Eli has been prone to a 2nd half season slump. In the last 3 years, Eli averages a QB rating of 85.1 in games 1-8, then 67.6 in games 9-16.

Ronnie Brown--This one is difficult b/c he's been so huge the last 2 games. But that's why it should be easy... it's only 2 games. The Dolphins look like a team headed for disaster... the defense is a pushover, the OL still stinks, and Green is still old.

Curtis--That 221yd/3 TD game will seem like ages ago in about a month.

Buy low candidates...

Portis--With the news of a few nagging injuries, I'm willing to bet that the Portis owner might be looking to cut bait while thinking to himself "here we go". Portis may have some nagging injuries but he's still a TD machine in a run-heavy offense. People remember him missing half of last season due to injury but people forget that he played through a shoulder separation that required surgery but didn't miss the season until breaking his hand.

Vince Young--He's had a couple solid games in weeks 2 and 3 but he's hardly looked like the second coming. If Young was taken by another owner with a QB that has put up better FF numbers, Young might be had for relatively cheap. He's off his bye, their schedule looks good, and Young seems to improve each week... the rushing yards are there but he's also improving as a passer.

AJ--By now the AJ owner might be looking for a couple of players that can actually make an impact this or next week. The AJ owner probably has not been immune to injuries at other positions as well.

Maroney--He's participating in practice on a limited basis so it's not like he's completely inactive. Sammy Morris is running well so Maroney owners might be reaching for the Tums pretty soon. The Patriots pass game has been the big story thus far but this is still a team that will run the ball 9-10 times straight on 2 or 3 drives per game. Also, the second half of the season they will need the run game and that includes Maroney. Maybe not a bunch of TDs but the yardage will be there.

Rudi Johnson--A 1st rounder in redrafts so there's bound to be some stubborn owners out there but if the Rudi owner has a couple other RBs that have stepped up, Rudi can be had for cheap on his bye. The Cincy offense is much more balanced with Rudi's inside running. He hasn't been effective in the early going and he missed a game but word is the injury won't keep him out after the bye. No reason to not expect 70-80yds and a TD per game (The Rudi Special) down the stretch.

Edited by kingfish247

I'm a little surprised not to see the name Larry Johnson crop up as a buy low candidate. The Chiefs have the look of a team that might start to get things together offensively here in the next couple of weeks. He's a risky guy to target though, and most owners who spent a 1st round pick on him will feel they can't give up on him.

Been saying this for weeks.

How do folks feel about McNabb? We have all seen what he CAN do, but he has been all or nothing this year(so far). Last game wasnt all his fault as he was getting pummeled every other down against the G-men. Game before that, he was unstoppable. Westy's injury doesnt help at all and makes DM more of a risk, but I would think the potential for big points is still there.

Is now the time to try to get Chunky McNabb and hope Philly gets it together??