[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Condition of Heinz Field

gilwiggum

By the time the crowd returned to the stands, ESPN and the league did not want the anthem interfering with the broadcast.

"They waited, and then the league and the network said now we don't have a window," Rooney said.

How far is the league going to go to let the tail wag the dog?

Not enough time for the national anthem? What's next, canceling some plays because they interfere with advertising time?

Shame on you, ESPN. And shame on you, NFL. Let's get a little proper perspective on our priorities, shall we? It's not that difficult to change the channel, after all...

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough time for the national anthem? What's next, canceling some plays because they interfere with advertising time?

Shame on you, ESPN. And shame on you, NFL. Let's get a little proper perspective on our priorities, shall we? It's not that difficult to change the channel, after all...

I agree 100%.

I didn't even know about that. That's really f'ed up.

Artificial turf sucks.

The problem isn't playing on natural grass, it's the mentality that the field has to be pristine when the game is played. That leads to stadiums having brand new sod laid down that never has a chance to root properly.

It's okay for the grass to be somewhat brown when a game is played in late November or December. At least it's a well established, firm surface.

Please do away with artificial turf & domed stadiums. Football was meant ot be played in the elements on natural surfaces. What a bunch of mamby-pambies football fans have become.

I agree. However when the PATS field used to get all torn up in the late part of the season, the opposing teams did not like it and the stadium consistently was voted the worst field.

I agree. However when the PATS field used to get all torn up in the late part of the season, the opposing teams did not like it and the stadium consistently was voted the worst field.

Before the Vikings got rid of their carpet and the Eagles got their new stadium, the near-concrete fields at the Metrodome and Vet used to be consistently rated the worst playing surfaces, IIRC.

Is it going to be a quagmire again this weekend when the Bungles come to town?

They are working their asses off down there to try and put something decent out there for the weekend. Weather has been great for the past two days but some rain and snow are right around the corner. I would say there is no way that field will be anywhere near what it was on MNF but it still may not be up to the par.

They are working their asses off down there to try and put something decent out there for the weekend. Weather has been great for the past two days but some rain and snow are right around the corner. I would say there is no way that field will be anywhere near what it was on MNF but it still may not be up to the par.

That's what I figured. Booooo.

:D

I never understood the point of resodding this time of year anyway. That grass will NEVER take root. EVER. So what's the point?

I never understood the point of resodding this time of year anyway. That grass will NEVER take root. EVER. So what's the point?

The way I read about it is that they rolled out a very thick sod. Something like 4 inch thick and taking root was not at all something that they were concerned with. Watching the game it looked to me like they were sticking their foot right through the new sod and onto the old sod at times.

The way I read about it is that they rolled out a very thick sod. Something like 4 inch thick and taking root was not at all something that they were concerned with. Watching the game it looked to me like they were sticking their foot right through the new sod and onto the old sod at times.

Indeed they were. There was so much rain, the top sod was floating away.

monday night was a bad night for the field.. but i overall cant complain because i cant recall the last time a steelers player tore a knee up on that field. the last time i remember any player seriously hurting his knee was ty law in 2004. i could be wrong, but nothing else is ringing a bell right now.

monday night was a bad night for the field.. but i overall cant complain because i cant recall the last time a steelers player tore a knee up on that field. the last time i remember any player seriously hurting his knee was ty law in 2004. i could be wrong, but nothing else is ringing a bell right now.

They asked the Steelers players, and all but one wanted them to stick with the natural grass surface. They felt it was safer in regards to injuries, and felt that it gave them a homefield advantage. The only player that wanted turf was Willie Parker, for obvious reasons.

I like the grass surface too, and thought the game was enjoyable to watch, as a fan. However, it has to be an embarrassment to the Steelers organization to see that field in that condition on Monday night football.

There is certainly nothing wrong with a game played on a wet, muddy field. However, when the field is such that large chunks of it are displaced and/or large holes are present, then you gotta worry about someone getting hurt. Not that a player cant get just as hurt on a perfect field on a sunny day, but it would suck to see someone's season and/or career end because they stepped in a hole and tore their leg up or something. Thankfully, doesnt seem like there were any major injuries attributable to the field.

As a Jeff Reed owner, hopefully there will be more solid footing and less rain and wind this weekend.

Weather looks good for the rest of the week....up until the game...

Game Time: 42 degrees; 40% chance of showers with Wind from the south @ 13MPH (Medium)

this is a positive note...

it was 70% chance of showers just 2 days ago...

I have Roethlisberger, CJ and Henry all playing in this game...

what a waste of a perfectly good shootout :D

this is a positive note...

it was 70% chance of showers just 2 days ago...

I have Roethlisberger, CJ and Henry all playing in this game...

what a waste of a perfectly good shootout :D

Weather report has gotten worse.

80% chance of rain for the game now.

May be time to consider another kicker for the week...