[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Combine

godtomsatan

Schefter was just commenting about how in shape the lineman are coming in. Jake Long weighed in at 313 but had very little fat on him. They said that he looked more like a tight end, except that he's 6'7 313 which he said will help him a great deal.

Long is a beast.

Hey man, check your PMs.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official times:

DMC - 4.33

Desean Jackson - 4.35

Chris Johnson - 4.24 :wacko:

:D

4.24 was his OFFICIAL speed??? When I heard that time, I assumed it was before adjustment.

We hear stories about guys allegedly running certain times, or guys running quick on a faster surface for their Pro Day, but I do believe that this is the fastest official Combine time I've ever heard. And it's not even close. Prior to this, the quickest I can remember was Fabian Washington at 4.30 (or 4.31, I can't remember).

Last year the fastest RB at the combine (of those that remotely mattered) was Peterson, Garrett Wolf, Antonio Pittman and Chris Henry both clocking 4.40.

The fastest WR last year was Calvin Johnson's 4.35 and Tedd Ginn had a 4.38.

This is apparently a VERY fast year or they are just timing differently.

Last year the fastest RB at the combine (of those that remotely mattered) was Peterson, Wolf Garrett, Antonio Pittman and Chris Henry both clocking 4.40.

DMC was impressive, but I give just as much credit to Mendenhall (225) and Stewart (235) putting up sub-4.5 times at their size.

On the flip side, Hart had some lousy times that could push him back to day 2. I'm curious to see what his 10 yd split was.

Last year the fastest RB at the combine (of those that remotely mattered) was Peterson, Wolf Garrett, Antonio Pittman and Chris Henry both clocking 4.40.

:wacko::D:D

Watched the combine a bit between college basketball games yesterday.

McFadden weighed in at 210 lbs, and turned a 4.33s 40. The more I see of him, the more I think that the trade between MIA & DAL will actually go through, where DAL gives Barber, its 2 1st rounders this year, and another high pick next year for MIA's 1.01 this year. The worst kept secret in the draft this year is probably Jerry Jones' man-crush for McFadden. He's living up to the billing right now.

There are a ton of incredibly fast RBs & WRs. Among others, Mendenhall, Stewart, Charles, & Jones all turned sub 4.50s 40s. East Carolina's Chris Johnson turned a 4.24s 40.

The WRs were even faster as a whole. DeShawn Jackson turned a 4.35s 40 followed by Andre Caldwell, Dexter Jackson, & Will Franklin with 4.37s 40s. Limas Sweed & Jordy Nelson made impressions, Sweed ran a fast 40 and caught the ball well, showing no reprocussions from his wrist injury. Jordy Nelson ran a good 40 also, ran very crisp routes, and caught everything in sight. 2 big WRs, one who was going to go high and another who people ought to start keeping an eye on. Nelson was prolific at KSU, and the main knock on him is that he is white.

Meanwhile, Manningham ran a relatively slow 4.59 40, and when he was running the gaunlet looked like a slalom racer the way he was weaving, giving up a couple of yards everytime he caught a ball - wihcih really struck home with me while watching him. He hurt his stock significantly in comparison with the other WRs, despite his body of work in college.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The 40 time seems more and more suspect to me these days. I'm not sure what would be a better way to go, but these guys train the technique of running this sprint in very specific ways. I just wonder how much recorded time perfect technique is worth? .03? .08? .14??

The 40 time seems more and more suspect to me these days. I'm not sure what would be a better way to go, but these guys train the technique of running this sprint in very specific ways. I just wonder how much recorded time perfect technique is worth? .03? .08? .14??

If you watched these guys run, I don't know if you'd think they were suspect. The guys looked faster this year - I mean they were seriously pickin' 'em up & puttin' 'em down.

DMC was impressive, but I give just as much credit to Mendenhall (225) and Stewart (235) putting up sub-4.5 times at their size.

On the flip side, Hart had some lousy times that could push him back to day 2. I'm curious to see what his 10 yd split was.

But he did have a 28" vertical. :wacko:

I was thinking the exact same thing with Mendenhall and Stewart.

I think all of the Michigan fans around here knew that Mike Hart wasn't going to come in and put up pretty numbers. He's not very big, or fast, but he can flat out play. I think he'll make an excellent Kevin Faulk clone... Oh, and did anyone hear Marshall Faulk compare Hart to Preist Holmes? :wacko:

Faulk has a serious man crush on Hart though. He has him ranked way too high and talks about him every chance he gets.

Eh, it might not be too high considering that only 3-4 of these guys are going to be playing any significant time 5-6 years down the road. If you look at the 99 draft class you can make a case that Kevin Faulk is the second best out of the class. Edgerrin James is obviously the best of the bunch, but I think I would take Kevin Faulk who can be an elite third down back over Ricky Williams who two teams invested millions of dollars in only to come away with a bitter taste in their mouths. If that is Marshall's thought process then I can't fault him. However, if he genuinely thinks that Hart is going to be the second coming of Preist Holmes then he should step down for his analyst position at NFLN.

Vernon Gholston could play DE/OLB and he ran a 4.6 something...

Well I was going by their workout groups, since he's with the DEs. He and Long both had solid performances in the drills too. I would probably want Long if I ran a 4-3, but I'm starting to think that Gholston would be the better 3-4 OLB. If Long goes #1, I'm sure Gholston would be taken by the Jets at the latest, leaving the Pats to probably take a CB.

Assuming there were no trades, here's how I think the top 10 could work out...

1 - MIA - C. Long, DE/OLB

2 - STL - J. Long, OT

3 - ATL - M. Ryan, QB

4 - OAK - D. McFadden, RB

5 - KC - J. Otah, OT

6 - NYJ - V. Gholston, DE/OLB

7 - NE - L. McKelvin, CB

8 - BAL - M. Jenkins, CB

9 - CIN - G. Dorsey, DT

10 - NO - K. Rivers, LB

11 - BUF - M. Kelly, WR

12 - DEN - D. Harvey, DE

Of course a JJ trade or Parcells taking Ryan would throw everything off.

John Clayton seems to think that the Falcons are going to pass (for whatever that is worth, which ain't much, just throwin it out there)...

"Let's face it -- the Dolphins, drafting first, and the Falcons, drafting third, are in tough spots. If they draft Ryan and he's not great, they've blown a $60 million investment and pushed their franchise back for years. More than likely, both teams will pass on Ryan ... and that's when things will get interesting."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/colu...mp;lid=tab3pos1

Watched the combine a bit between college basketball games yesterday.

McFadden weighed in at 210 lbs, and turned a 4.33s 40. The more I see of him, the more I think that the trade between MIA & DAL will actually go through, where DAL gives Barber, its 2 1st rounders this year, and another high pick next year for MIA's 1.01 this year. The worst kept secret in the draft this year is probably Jerry Jones' man-crush for McFadden. He's living up to the billing right now.

I don't care if he ran a 4 flat, I pray you're wrong.

If you watched these guys run, I don't know if you'd think they were suspect. The guys looked faster this year - I mean they were seriously pickin' 'em up & puttin' 'em down.

That's not the point I was making. I watched em (over and over again) and they looked really fast. And there's not doubt that they ARE fast. I'm just saying that the technique of running that exact event, and the training of that technique, distorts things. How much it affects the result is speculation and may or may not matter all that much. I dunno.

I'm saying that grading a prospect by his 40 time seems to be less and less about the football player and more about the athlete training for the event. That's all. You'd think the teams would all take this into consideration and yet guys go shooting up draft boards based on these times. It's a balance I guess.

Assuming there were no trades, here's how I think the top 10 could work out...

1 - MIA - C. Long, DE/OLB

2 - STL - J. Long, OT

3 - ATL - M. Ryan, QB

4 - OAK - D. McFadden, RB

5 - KC - J. Otah, OT

6 - NYJ - V. Gholston, DE/OLB

7 - NE - L. McKelvin, CB

8 - BAL - M. Jenkins, CB

9 - CIN - G. Dorsey, DT

10 - NO - K. Rivers, LB

11 - BUF - M. Kelly, WR

12 - DEN - D. Harvey, DE

Of course a JJ trade or Parcells taking Ryan would throw everything off.

Speaking of 40 times and their influence, I believe Otah put up a whopping 5.55 in the 40. It would be very surprising I think if he went this high. We'll see how far he falls based on his measurables.