[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Julius Jones to Seahawks

PaulOttCarruth

Yup. With the additon of OG Wahle, and the modest additions of TE Putzier, Duckett, and Jones; the only immediate glaring need is kicker. Ruskell has tended to draft the best player available regardless of position. I still think a TE and RB is likely drafted, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see a another O-lineman and/or a DT get picked in the first 2 rounds.

WR? The current starters are Nate Burleson and 84 year old Bobby Engram...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WR? The current starters are Nate Burleson and 84 year old Bobby Engram...

What used to be an area of depth is not now. The last I heard was that Deion Branch may not be ready for the season opener. Bobby Engram had 1,100 + yards and almost 100 catches and garnered pro bowl consideration. Nate Burleson starting contributing consistently as a #2/#3 WR last year. Ben Obomanu has the physical attributes to be a playmaker and there is speculation this year he steps up much like Hackett did in the last two seasons. It's an area of concern but not of glaring need, like kicker, where they don't have one on the roster. As I've contended numerous times, the Holmgren WCO and familiarity through repetitions of route running with the QB makes the WR more than the WRs make the WCO. I would be surprised to see them draft a WR early.

Edited by bushwacked

the big 3 rookie RBs most likely will be gone by their pick (#25).
I wouldn't say "likely," but maybe, yeah...

The rookie might not have been in their best interests.
If you mean drafting someone else might provide more immediate help, I doubt it, but longer term, maybe; hard to say.

I was thinking WR as well, but Holmgren seems pretty high on Obomanu and Taylor as his #4 and #5. I really don't think there is a WR worth taking . Desean Jackson could be good down the road, but this team is not in a "down the road" mode right now. The pick could very well be a G or DT, but I really think Fred Davis is the guy they are going after. I don't think they are all that comfortable with Putzier as their every down TE.

This whole situation bothers me, but I truly believe this is a result of Shaun's lack of effort. I know he's dealt with some injuries, but the whole fire and drive on the field seems to be gone. This may return with another team because he's going to have to go out an earn another contract. He's the perfect example of somebody who got complacent after they got paid, and the whole thing pisses me off because he was one of top 5 players the Hawks have ever had.

Per PFT:

JONES WILL MAKE MORE THAN ALEXANDER IN 2008

Here's another piece of evidence that potentially supports the notion that the arrival of running back Julius Jones in Seattle could be the end of the road for Shaun Alexander.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, Jones will make $5.5 million this year. And, per NFLPA records, Alexander's base salary is scheduled to be only (only?) $4.475 million in 2008.

In all, Jones' deal is for four years and $16 million. In contrast, Alexander is scheduled to earn base salaries totaling $24 million over the next four seasons, making Jones the more affordable long-term option.

With T.J. Duckett also getting $4 million in guaranteed money, it's more likely than not at this point that there will be a changing of the guard at tailback in Seattle.

Local sports radio in Seattle has been covering the high school basketball state tournament all weekend. After the games on friday night, John Clayton called with kind of as a "special report". I don't know the quote word for word but he mentioned that this move, without a doubt means that Shaun Alexander will never carry the ball for the Seahawks again. According to Clayton, they will release him June 1st, so they can spread the cap hit out over two years. Clayton also mentioned that this probably signifies the end of Maurice Morris. I'm not sure I agree with that part.

It's kind of a weird end to Shaun Alexander in Seattle. About a week ago he was on the radio talking about how the Seahawks would never even think about asking the greatest running back in the history of the franchise to renegotiate. Say what you want, but he was the only MVP we ever had, and was also the only Seahawk tailback to start in a Super Bowl. That said, I thank him for what he has done but I'm not going to miss him. It's just kind of a reality check on how cold of a business this can be. All that fuss for so long about his contract, and he's going to get cut before he gets to see it. Rough business. Off the subject, I think the whole June thing is kinda ridiculous. They should be able to release him now while he might still be able to find a team with a decent situation for him. Four months shouldn't change the cap hit so dramatically.

About a week ago he was on the radio talking about how the Seahawks would never even think about asking the greatest running back in the history of the franchise to renegotiate.
lol - gee what a humble guy. Sure understands the business well too. (PS I'd take Curt Warner in his prime over Alexander).

Off the subject, I think the whole June thing is kinda ridiculous. They should be able to release him now while he might still be able to find a team with a decent situation for him. Four months shouldn't change the cap hit so dramatically.

I just read that the player can be cut anytime and the paperwork filed after June 1, for the reason that you mentioned.

Great opportunty for Jones dynasty owners to sell him as a probable starter in SEA while he still has some nice value. Come late August & beyond, people are going to see that Alexander's problems weren't all of his own making (though he was a strong contributor) and that Jones ain't in Alexander's league as far as RBs go - even last year's Alexander.

What's up with Hackett? Is Seattle leaning away from re-signing him because he's too expensive, or too injury prone?

Or maybe both?

I think they didn't want to re-sign him to an expensive contract because he is injury prone. He tested the free agent market and apparently everyone else is also hesitant. The longer it takes to sign, the better chance he returns to the Hawks I'd think (if they have any cap room left).

Great opportunty for Jones dynasty owners to sell him as a probable starter in SEA while he still has some nice value. Come late August & beyond, people are going to see that Alexander's problems weren't all of his own making (though he was a strong contributor) and that Jones ain't in Alexander's league as far as RBs go - even last year's Alexander.

The 26 year old Julius Jones vs. the 30 year old broken down, with a sniper in the stands/fall down when a LB comes within 5 feat SA? I'll take my chances with the change. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a day 1 guard in the draft to go along with the addition of Wahle.

This changes nothing. A team that plays great in an obnoxiously loud home stadium and will continue to take smelly craps on the road when the games count. Move on.

Yup. The D will still be a fantasy tease, Hackett will still be over-rated, and Hasselbeck will still be bald. Move along indeed.

I might be crazy. The Cowboys were on TV quite last year. I obviously saw the Seahawks play several times. Billy, either you have never watched a football game before or you are still drinkin the Alexander cool-aid. I can say with full confidence that Shaun Alexander was the worst tailback to register a carry in the NFL last year.

I might be crazy. The Cowboys were on TV quite last year. I obviously saw the Seahawks play several times. Billy, either you have never watched a football game before or you are still drinkin the Alexander cool-aid. I can say with full confidence that Shaun Alexander was the worst tailback to register a carry in the NFL last year.

:wacko: Yup.

Shaun Alexander was the worst tailback to register a carry in the NFL last year.

Cedric Benson

Kevin Jones

Brandon Jackson

Brian Leonard

Anthony Thomas

J.J. Arrington

and that's just off the top of my head.

How come Morris averages 4.5 ypc and Weaver averages 4.4 ypc, while Alexander gets 3.5? Is it all change of pace? No, of course not. Alexander got old like all RBs do, very quickly. Hurt most of 2006, and lost two (at least) steps in 2007. I'm not a big fan of the Jones signing, but he (and Duckett) give some degree of stability to the position for them to evaluate what they can get in the draft.

Bottom line, this is a 2008 move, and not much more.

Cedric Benson

Kevin Jones

Brandon Jackson

Brian Leonard

Anthony Thomas

J.J. Arrington

and that's just off the top of my head.

Each one of these guys looked better than Alexander last year. No-brainer.

How come Morris averages 4.5 ypc and Weaver averages 4.4 ypc, while Alexander gets 3.5? Is it all change of pace? No, of course not.

Got it. So, since SA got well over 50% of the RB work in SEA last season despite only playing in 13 games and that he was the worst RB on the roster, then we can safely assume that Holmgren is dumb as a tree stump.

Thanks for clearing that up.

:wacko:

Got it. So, since SA got well over 50% of the RB work in SEA last season despite only playing in 13 games and that he was the worst RB on the roster, then we can safely assume that Holmgren is dumb as a tree stump.

Thanks for clearing that up.

:wacko:

The Seatlle running game was a full blown RBBC at the end of the year. In fact, over the last 5 games of the season, Momo actually got more carries than SA. Not to mention, Lenorad Weaver started carrying the rock more. Both Morris and Weaver ran more effectively than SA last year. You have enough trouble evaluating the Bronco RB situation as a homer; it's not surprising you really don't have a clue on this one.

:D