[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders targeting McFadden

Return Of S&B

Yes, if it was up to me, they would draft one of the top-2 DEs (Long or Golhston) but with all the money invested in Defense the past couple weeks it makes sense to think that Big Al will be targeting a potential home-run hitter on Offense. Someone to ease the pressure off of Russell and give the Offense a bona-fide playmaker. The Raiders have not drafted an RB in the early 1st round since the legend in my Avatar...maybe 2008 will be the year

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

'Back of the future

Raiders aligning themselves to nab McFadden at No. 4

Posted: Wednesday March 19, 2008 10:54AM; Updated: Wednesday March 19, 2008 10:54AM

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall's impending trade from the Falcons to the Raiders can only mean one thing for the Silver and Black:

Oakland will select Arkansas running back Darren McFadden with the fourth pick in next month's draft.

Of course, that's purely speculation. But a person familiar with the team's personnel meetings told me this week that he could "definitely see that happening."

One reason is the lack of a breakaway threat in the team's offensive backfield. Another is owner Al Davis' weak spot for playmakers with speed. And finally there is the financial commitment the Raiders have made on defense this offseason.

The unit slipped badly last year, falling from third overall in 2006 to 22nd in 2007. Davis took swift (if not irrational) action this offseason by giving tackle Tommy Kelly just over $18 million in guarantees, making Giants free agent Gibril Wilson the third-highest-paid safety in the game, committing a minimum of $9.45 million to cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha as an exclusive "franchise" player, and he reportedly will sign Hall to a new multiyear deal that averages $10 million a year.

That's a lot of money for one side of the ball in one offseason, particularly with the team still looking to add an edge rusher to complement left end Derrick Burgess -- who, by the way, has let the club know he is seeking a raise from the $2 million he's scheduled to earn this year and next. The Raiders believe Kelly and Terdell Sands can hold down the interior of the defensive line, and with only one draft pick in the first three rounds after the trade for Hall is finalized, Davis has to ask himself whether he wants to sink more money into the defense or use the fourth overall selection on an offensive standout who could make life easier for quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the first overall pick in last year's draft.

That's where McFadden comes into play. While attending a Raiders game last season, I was told in passing by a team employee that Davis was infatuated with McFadden. For good reason. Davis always has been blinded by speed, and McFadden often leaves a vapor trail when he turns the corner.

The Raiders return their top three rushers from an offense that ranked sixth in rushing last season, averaging 130.4 yards a game, but Justin Fargas, LaMont Jordan and Dominic Rhodes combined for only two touchdown runs of 10 or more yards and none beyond 19 yards. McFadden is a threat to go the distance each time he touches the ball. He covered the 40-yard dash at the combine in a blistering 4.33 seconds, and in his final two seasons at Arkansas he had at least nine carries of 50 or more yards, including two of 80.

Those are the kinds of numbers that put Davis' attention in a chokehold. He thrives on the big play. That's why he favors the vertical passing game and bump-and-run cornerbacks. He wants his clubs to be feared, not just respected -- neither of which has been the case the last five seasons, during which Oakland has a 19-61 record.

The Raiders still need help on the offensive line and could use another wide receiver, but Davis, who is said to be proceeding without much input from coach Lane Kiffin, likely believes he sufficiently addressed those areas with the free-agent signings of tackle Kwame Harris (who lost his starting job to a rookie last season in San Francisco) and wideout Javon Walker (who missed eight games last season in Denver after having his third knee surgery in three years).

That brings us back to McFadden. A source close to the player said McFadden is expected to meet with the Raiders in the next couple of weeks. He visited Tuesday with the Jets, who have the sixth pick, but it's possible he won't be around when New York is on the clock.

Miami, St. Louis and Atlanta select ahead of Oakland, but none of them needs a running back. The Dolphins have Ronnie Brown, whom they selected second overall a couple of years ago; the Rams have Steven Jackson, one of the game's top young backs; and the Falcons signed San Diego free agent Michael Turner to a $34.5 million deal. So the likelihood is strong that McFadden will be there when the Raiders select -- again, barring a trade by another club to jump ahead of Oakland.

Team sources contend the Raiders are high on defensive ends Chris Long of Virginia and Vernon Gholston of Ohio State, but even if they're on the board when the Raiders are up, the evidence seems to indicate that the Raiders will go with McFadden. Wisely so.

Jim Trotter can be reached at jim_trotter@simail.com.

Edited by Return Of S&B

I don't understand how these guys can continue to write articles about McFadden to Oakland without even once mentioning Michael Bush. I'm not saying that Al Davis won't take him... I just wish that among all of the speculation, someone would use at least one sentence of that speculation to address the recovery of Bush and his future role for the Raiders.

I don't understand how these guys can continue to write articles about McFadden to Oakland without even once mentioning Michael Bush. I'm not saying that Al Davis won't take him... I just wish that among all of the speculation, someone would use at least one sentence of that speculation to address the recovery of Bush and his future role for the Raiders.

you don't happen to have bush in a dynasty league or two now, do you? :wacko:

Their D could be special if they select either of those DE's. The sad part is that they need a RB period. I think a tandem of Bush and McFadden would be perfect. Both are young and both are hungry. Which is a great equation for them trying to out do each other. Where that leave Justin Fargus and L. Jordan is the real question. If they move one of them I could see this happening. But they must have someone to help on offense. Also the worst part that has not been discussed is the team chemistry. With all these changes they are going to have to gel. I doubt that happens this year too many new pieces. But who knows. Anything can happen because you can go from worst to first in the NFL. Heck Greenbay did it pretty much. So I have no doubt that any team can do.

Bush is nice but they have to take McFadden. He can change a franchise. Bush should have a shot to be a perfect compliment. No disrespect to Bush, but I don't think he makes enough of an impact on this pick to be noted.

I just saw this, and I have to say it's really a piece of crap. The author comes across as extremely amateurish.

First,

But a person familiar with the team's personnel meetings told me this week that he could "definitely see that happening."

That's the most convincing info he could get from a his source? And it's not actually a member of the team -- just a person "familiar" with their personnel meetings. So, by today's journalism standards, that could mean the source is the assistant southeast regional scout's best friend's neighbor...who probably had a few beers and told his wife, whose friend knows the reporter. :wacko:

Second,

One reason is the lack of a breakaway threat in the team's offensive backfield.

Okay, say what you want about Fargas, but his BEST attribute is his breakaway speed. I'm sure that's part of the reason Al Davis really likes him and rewarded him with a contract extension. This just shows the author has no recollection of Fargas running the fastest 40-yard dash among RBs in his draft class.

Oakland WILL be drafting a DE or OT -- the value at those positions should be excellent at #4.

I just saw this, and I have to say it's really a piece of crap. The author comes across as extremely amateurish.

First,

That's the most convincing info he could get from a his source? And it's not actually a member of the team -- just a person "familiar" with their personnel meetings. So, by today's journalism standards, that could mean the source is the assistant southeast regional scout's best friend's neighbor...who probably had a few beers and told his wife, whose friend knows the reporter. :wacko:

Second,

Okay, say what you want about Fargas, but his BEST attribute is his breakaway speed. I'm sure that's part of the reason Al Davis really likes him and rewarded him with a contract extension. This just shows the author has no recollection of Fargas running the fastest 40-yard dash among RBs in his draft class.

Oakland WILL be drafting a DE or OT -- the value at those positions should be excellent at #4.

Well said :D

First,

Second,

After deep thought. Its only makes since to draft a DE to make they D the best D it can be. Think about all the moves they made. They went after two tackles already one is 31 yrs old the other is about 25 or 26. So that take that out the equation. They signed Fargas as stated. They have L. Jordan and Michael Bush. The only thing they have not added this season is a DE. I say welcome Long or Gholston to your team because he will be your draft choice. McFadden is going to fall how far I really don't know. But I can't see Al go in any other direction to be honest. It would shock me if he picked McFadden.

After deep thought. Its only makes since to draft a DE to make they D the best D it can be. Think about all the moves they made. They went after two tackles already one is 31 yrs old the other is about 25 or 26. So that take that out the equation. They signed Fargas as stated. They have L. Jordan and Michael Bush. The only thing they have not added this season is a DE. I say welcome Long or Gholston to your team because he will be your draft choice. McFadden is going to fall how far I really don't know. But I can't see Al go in any other direction to be honest. It would shock me if he picked McFadden.

i wouldnt count on Jordan being a Raider this yr

First,

Second,

Your first point is well taken...the article seemed to be more opinion than anything although it did bring up some interesting points.

But to compare Justin Fargas to a potential game-breaker such as McFadden is ridiculous. Sure Fargas has speed, but he is not even comparable someone like McFadden. Fargas started only one year while he was at Michigan (averaging 3.6 yards a carry) before he broke his leg and sitting out his sophmore year. During his junior year he was forced to switch to Safety because Michigan had too many RBs that were either better or more durable than him on the squad. After his junior year he transferred to USC where he did have one good year at the RB spot...but he never had stats that McFadden had.

Sure Fargas had some good games last year, but if you really went back to look at the stats he only averaged over 4.0 yards a carry 4 out of the 8 games he started. He's a servicable RB who filled in well for an underacheiving/injured Lamont Jordan last year...but is not the type of RB to build an offense around. Fargas has also had a long history with injuries....starting while he was in Michigan and even while he has been in Oakland.

Yes, the Raiders re-signed him to a 4 year contract, but I can assure you that was mainly as insurance because he is a good fill or someone who can carry the rock until they find someone better. As for Jordan, he will be gone shortly, and Rhodes, he showed that he truly is a mediocre back. I like Michael Bush and was glad they took a chance on him last year but no one knows how good he will be after sitting for a year to recover from his major leg surgery.

Got a question for you, why did the Vikings take Adrian Peterson when they already had Chestor Taylor? Could it be because they felt that they needed a playmaker who could boost their anemic offense....something he did quite well in 2007

Sure, if Chris Long is available at the #4 spot, I would hope the Raiders take him, but I highly doubt he will be available when the Raiders pick. I can assure you that McFadden will be near the top of the Raider's list for this April's draft because while their offense showed some improvement in 2007, it is still relatively weak, and no one in this draft has the potential to turn an offense around like Darren McFadden this year.

Edited by Return Of S&B

Got a question for you, why did the Vikings take Adrian Peterson when they already had Chestor Taylor? Could it be because they felt that they needed a playmaker who could boost their anemic offense....something he did quite well in 2007

well to be fair the Vikes had a very good defense and OLine and even with the Taylor signing were pretty thin at RB......they were/are committed to TJax and at that point in the draft AP made a ton of sense....

the Raiders have other holes to fill....especially considering that they have a serviceable backfield with what should be fargas/rhodes and bush

Edited by keggerz

well to be fair the Vikes had a very good defense and OLine and even with the Taylor signing were pretty thin at RB......they were/are committed to TJax and at that point in the draft AP made a ton of sense....

the Raiders have other holes to fill....especially considering that they have a serviceable backfield with what should be fargas/rhodes and bush

Two years ago, the Raiders had a very good defense as well...#1 against the pass I believe. They fell off a bit last year due to Sapp underperforming and Kelly being out half of the year...but they should be better this year with the additons of Hall and Wilson in the secondary, and a healthy Kelly filling in for Sapp at DT. The only position of need on the defensive side is DE. Now if Chis Long is there, they should grab him, as for Golhston, I'm not so sure because he may be a better outside LB in a 3-4 than a traditional DE in the 4-3.

As for Offensive Line, the Raiders improved to #6 in rushing with the switch to Zone Blocking under Cable (from Atlanta) so I dont see the Offense Line as big a concern as they were under Shell.

Yes, Fargas/Rhodes and maybe Bush could be servicable RBBC team...but McFadden is a completely different level of play. If the Raiders dont grab McFadden their best hope would be Bush emerging as the back he was in College, but with that leg injury, I just dont know.

As for Fargas or Rhodes, where do you think they would be drafted in a traditional fantasy football draft...3rd round? 4th round? They are two servicable backs that will get the Raiders no where....McFadden on the other hand could be the home run hitter that they have been missing in the backfield for a long time.

Look at the AFC West

SD has Ladanian Tomlinson

KC had Larry Johnson

Are you going to say you would rather have Fargas/Rhodes combo than a legitimate RB starter like LT or Johnson? McFadden would only bring the Raiders up to par in terms of RB talent with the rest of the AFC West.

But to compare Justin Fargas to a potential game-breaker such as McFadden is ridiculous. Sure Fargas has speed, but he is not even comparable someone like McFadden. Fargas started only one year while he was at Michigan (averaging 3.6 yards a carry) before he broke his leg and sitting out his sophmore year. During his junior year he was forced to switch to Safety because Michigan had too many RBs that were either better or more durable than him on the squad. After his junior year he transferred to USC where he did have one good year at the RB spot...but he never had stats that McFadden had.

Sure Fargas had some good games last year, but if you really went back to look at the stats he only averaged over 4.0 yards a carry 4 out of the 8 games he started. He's a servicable RB who filled in well for an underacheiving/injured Lamont Jordan last year...but is not the type of RB to build an offense around. Fargas has also had a long history with injuries....starting while he was in Michigan and even while he has been in Oakland.

Yes, the Raiders re-signed him to a 4 year contract, but I can assure you that was mainly as insurance because he is a good fill or someone who can carry the rock until they find someone better. As for Jordan, he will be gone shortly, and Rhodes, he showed that he truly is a mediocre back. I like Michael Bush and was glad they took a chance on him last year but no one knows how good he will be after sitting for a year to recover from his major leg surgery.

Wow -- so many directions to take this...

First of all, I never directly compared Fargas to McFadden. I was referring specifically to the reporter's comment about "the lack of a breakaway threat in the team's offensive backfield." It's simply not accurate. They DO have a breakaway threat -- his name is Justin Fargas.

If you do want to compare Fargas to McFadden, though, you could have spared me Fargas' life story. It really doesn't matter. What matters is that Fargas rushed for 1,000 yards -- at 4.5 per carry -- on a terrible Oakland team that rarely had a lead and had no other offensive threats to speak of. McFadden? Well, he's dominated in a tough college conference. Should we also compare Fargas to Rashan Salaam coming out of college? Of course not.

The topic of discussion is what the Raiders will do with the #4 pick. Well, most teams will look at the player value on the board and also consider their needs. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense for them to take McFadden. When they're on the clock, they will almost certainly see the #1 OT or the #1 or #2 DE on their board.

I have a question for you: Did they draft Peterson the same year they signed Taylor to a lucrative FA contract? Could it be that, since they paid him starter's money, they actually let him start for a year before drafting someone better?

The Vikings witnessed first hand the limitations Taylor had while trying to carry a full load. He barely averaged 4 YPC, and he wore down badly at the end of the year. Only after they saw him do it for a full year did they consider replacing him as the starter.

They were also picking 8th instead of 4th, which is a significant difference. AD was clearly the best player available.

The topic of discussion is what the Raiders will do with the #4 pick. Well, most teams will look at the player value on the board and also consider their needs. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense for them to take McFadden. When they're on the clock, they will almost certainly see the #1 OT or the #1 or #2 DE on their board.

I have a question for you: Did they draft Peterson the same year they signed Taylor to a lucrative FA contract? Could it be that, since they paid him starter's money, they actually let him start for a year before drafting someone better?

Absolutely wrong here. Long will be gone at three at the latest.

Two years ago, the Raiders had a very good defense as well...#1 against the pass I believe. They fell off a bit last year due to Sapp underperforming and Kelly being out half of the year...but they should be better this year with the additons of Hall and Wilson in the secondary, and a healthy Kelly filling in for Sapp at DT. The only position of need on the defensive side is DE. Now if Chis Long is there, they should grab him, as for Golhston, I'm not so sure because he may be a better outside LB in a 3-4 than a traditional DE in the 4-3.

As for Offensive Line, the Raiders improved to #6 in rushing with the switch to Zone Blocking under Cable (from Atlanta) so I dont see the Offense Line as big a concern as they were under Shell.

Yes, Fargas/Rhodes and maybe Bush could be servicable RBBC team...but McFadden is a completely different level of play. If the Raiders dont grab McFadden their best hope would be Bush emerging as the back he was in College, but with that leg injury, I just dont know.

As for Fargas or Rhodes, where do you think they would be drafted in a traditional fantasy football draft...3rd round? 4th round? They are two servicable backs that will get the Raiders no where....McFadden on the other hand could be the home run hitter that they have been missing in the backfield for a long time.

Look at the AFC West

KC had Larry Johnson

Are you going to say you would rather have Fargas/Rhodes combo than a legitimate RB starter like LT or Johnson? McFadden would only bring the Raiders up to par in terms of RB talent with the rest of the AFC West.

To say McFadden is anyhting like LT is rediculous. Personally, I think McFudd is way over rated and will not be anyhting like A. Peterson was last year. Far easier to get a pretty good rb than it is a de.

Look at the AFC West

KC had Larry Johnson

i will get back to most of this later but i will leave you with this to chew on....how many playoff wins do both SD and KC have with those 2 RBs?