[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not such a ringing endorsement for Benson

Guest Chappy

Guest Chappy

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4700

Benson Still the Starter

As of now, the starting running back for the Bears is Cedric Benson. Head Coach Lovie Smith said, "Cedric was our starter last year, and he’s our starter right now. For someone else to be the starter, they’re going to have to beat him out."

After the off the field issues and poor performance, we still believe Benson will be riding the bench more than toting the rock. Consider Matt Forte a sleeper and definitely handcuff him if you draft Benson.

I’m hoping that Cedric will get back to form and we see that guy that we know he is. What exactly was his form before? :wacko:

| May 16, 2008 11:53 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2008/05/16/ota-leftovers/

Walker Needs to Improve

A recent reports says Raiders WR Drew Carter outperformed the more expensive Javon Walker, who HC Lane Kiffin said needs to improve his conditioning.

Walker struggled with injuries last season and is on the downhill side of his career. It is possible that he is just done. Monitor this situation in training camp, because Carter may be the guy to draft instead of Walker.

| May 16, 2008 10:57 PM

As of now, the starting running back for the Bears is Cedric Benson. Head Coach Lovie Smith said, "Cedric was our starter last year, and he’s our starter right now. For someone else to be the starter, they’re going to have to beat him out."

After the off the field issues and poor performance, we still believe Benson will be riding the bench more than toting the rock. Consider Matt Forte a sleeper and definitely handcuff him if you draft Benson.

I don't know about anyone else but even with that quote from Lovie, I'm drafting Forte before Benson and handcuffing the other AP, not Benson

Guest Chappy
I don't know about anyone else but even with that quote from Lovie, I'm drafting Forte before Benson and handcuffing the other AP, not Benson

Exactly, those were my thoughts as well.

The Raiders just signed him to a 6-year, $55 million contract and gave him an $11 million signing bonus so he has been checked out medically. This is from the most recent team news:

Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp likes what he sees of wide receiver Javon Walker, on whom the Raiders have gambled $16 million in guaranteed money on despite playing in 25 of 48 games over the past three years due to injury.

Walker is coming off knee surgery but is expected to be ready for the mandatory June minicamp.

"His progress has been excellent," Knapp said. "What I've found is that guys who have reached a certain status -- and I was with (Walker) back at the Pro Bowl in '04 when he was with Green Bay -- have gone something to prove.

They've got a little hunger and a little fire. He wants to show everybody, `Hey, I wasn't done. Here I am again.' "

There are other reports that he looks really fast now. I am no major Walker fan but to call his career on a downside and potentially over is pretty premature and not even what was said on that blog hat was linked.

Ricky Williams showed up to offseason workouts in "tip-top shape" and indicated he thinks the Dolphins will use a committee at running back this season.

Williams says he turned down Cedric Benson's invitation to join him for a recent Lake Travis boating trip. Smart move. In their first meeting, Ricky says Bill Parcells told him he'll share carries with Ronnie Brown this year. Parcells and coach Tony Sparano have long been fans of running back committees.

Interesting story

Edited by Randall

Eh it's still way too early to pass judgement on Walker. Guy was a stud in GB and DEN. If it is though the story of his career will be DWill's death and the subsequent end of his career.

The guy was never a stud in Green Bay or Denver... He had one stud like year in Green Bay, held out of TC, then reported and blew up his knee early on. He had a strong but not stud like season in Denver. To call him a stud would be premature in my mind.

Guest Chappy
Javon Walker is DONE? I thought he was a pretty talented guy. Strange.

The Raiders just signed him to a 6-year, $55 million contract and gave him an $11 million signing bonus so he has been checked out medically. This is from the most recent team news:

There are other reports that he looks really fast now. I am no major Walker fan but to call his career on a downside and potentially over is pretty premature and not even what was said on that blog hat was linked.

I agree that it is somewhat premature to say his career is over, however, there's nothing wrong with voicing the opinion that that may be the case. Walker is 29 years old, is now playing for the Raiders with basically a rookie QB (who could surprise), he's had just 1 season with more than 70 receptions, only 2 years of 1,000+ yards receiving and 5 others of basically under 700 yards, 1 season of double-digit tds, 2 seasons with close to 10 and 3 others of no tds or only 1, he has had both mental and physical hurdles to overcome most recently. Therefore the thought that he may be done or that he may no longer be very effective or play up to the contract he signed is a very real possibility. I hope he can rekindle the magic and be a productive fantasy WR as he's got great size at 6-3 and 215 pounds and if healthy both mentally and physically could be a very imposing target (again that all hinges on the OL and Russell).

The guy was never a stud in Green Bay or Denver... He had one stud like year in Green Bay, held out of TC, then reported and blew up his knee early on. He had a strong but not stud like season in Denver. To call him a stud would be premature in my mind.

You're right I wasn't meaning it in a fantasy sense. The guy made a quick rise and in Denver he reaffirmed to me that he was a great player.

I agree that it is somewhat premature to say his career is over, however, there's nothing wrong with voicing the opinion that that may be the case. Walker is 29 years old, is now playing for the Raiders with basically a rookie QB (who could surprise), he's had just 1 season with more than 70 receptions, only 2 years of 1,000+ yards receiving and 5 others of basically under 700 yards, 1 season of double-digit tds, 2 seasons with close to 10 and 3 others of no tds or only 1, he has had both mental and physical hurdles to overcome most recently. Therefore the thought that he may be done or that he may no longer be very effective or play up to the contract he signed is a very real possibility. I hope he can rekindle the magic and be a productive fantasy WR as he's got great size at 6-3 and 215 pounds and if healthy both mentally and physically could be a very imposing target (again that all hinges on the OL and Russell).

Chappy, when you make a comment like "Javon Walker's effective playing days may be over," it leads the reader to believe that there's been some sort of serious medical issue rearing its head in mini-camps. The quote you pasted doesn't really support that. His coach just said he needs to improve his conditioning, which usually means his stamina is being questioned -- not his injury.

Also, your justification above is not really on-topic. Again, you referenced HIS effective playing days, which directly relates to his injury. Your explanation has more to say about OTHER players' performances. Your opinion is that he won't be a very good FF WR (for a variety of reasons), but that's a much different kind of opinion than the one stated in the title of the post.

Believe me -- I always enjoy your news updates here. I just don't want you to start veering toward sensationalism. Keep it up, though. :wacko:

Guest Chappy
Chappy, when you make a comment like "Javon Walker's effective playing days may be over," it leads the reader to believe that there's been some sort of serious medical issue rearing its head in mini-camps. The quote you pasted doesn't really support that. His coach just said he needs to improve his conditioning, which usually means his stamina is being questioned -- not his injury.

Also, your justification above is not really on-topic. Again, you referenced HIS effective playing days, which directly relates to his injury. Your explanation has more to say about OTHER players' performances. Your opinion is that he won't be a very good FF WR (for a variety of reasons), but that's a much different kind of opinion than the one stated in the title of the post.

Believe me -- I always enjoy your news updates here. I just don't want you to start veering toward sensationalism. Keep it up, though. :wacko:

That's some great insight Swiss. I certainly misspoke when it came to putting a title to the Walker news and after reading your 2 cents can see where I would be misleading others. Thanks for the feedback and in the future will just avoid attempting the need to add some flare and just provide post-worthy news bits. :D

What??? In 2004 he was 3rd in yards with over 1300, 89 receptions and 12 TD's. That is definitely stud territory. His career was cut short the next season. The first 2 games last year(and the year before) he looked very good but got hurt again. Those 2 games he averaged 8.5 receptions 110 yards per game.

I didn't like the way he left GB but he was definitely a stud whose rise was cut short through no fault of his.

Walker Needs to Improve

A recent reports says Raiders WR Drew Carter outperformed the more expensive Javon Walker, who HC Lane Kiffin said needs to improve his conditioning.

Walker struggled with injuries last season and is on the downhill side of his career. It is possible that he is just done. Monitor this situation in training camp, because Carter may be the guy to draft instead of Walker.

Drew Carter is not a guy to draft either. The guy had two years to show what he could do in Carolina and lost those opportunities because his hands are suspect. The guy is fast, but his is nothing more than and average at best WR. Carolina was smart to NOT bring him or Colbert back this season and anyone looking to add Carter to their sleeper list would be smart to let him sleep in as they will only be dissappointed in him. :wacko:

Drew Carter is not a guy to draft either. The guy had two years to show what he could do in Carolina and lost those opportunities because his hands are suspect. The guy is fast, but his is nothing more than and average at best WR. Carolina was smart to NOT bring him or Colbert back this season and anyone looking to add Carter to their sleeper list would be smart to let him sleep in as they will only be dissappointed in him. :wacko:

Practice without contact is a lot different than games too. In GB Corey Bradford was an All Pro player in practice, but was a lot different in games.

Walker Needs to Improve

Actually, if Walker cannot fully recover from his knee injury, then according to the linked article, Todd Watkins is the one to watch, not Drew Carter.

Drew Carter outperformed the more expensive Javon Walker, who Kiffin said needs to improve his conditioning. Todd Watkins is the sleeper, a big, active, former BYU receiver who could make a run if he continues his progress.

Walker Needs to Improve

You also made the part I left look as if it came from that blog...I wasnt able to find that in the blog at all(as DMD stated)....if you want to post a quote from a source and then add your opinion you need to make sure that your opinion doesnt look like it came from that source.

Actually, if Walker cannot fully recover from his knee injury, then according to the linked article, Todd Watkins is the one to watch, not Drew Carter.

Claimed from Atlanta. If he couldn't succeed there why would he in Oakland? BS what is his story?

As for guys you have never heard of before sounding promising in May, that happens all the time - in May. When they are wearing shorts. And play against their own team. But it is not their own team because many are not there. Until they show something with pads on and everyone present, I never get that interested because 99% of such players never amount to anything. Even in August you have to be careful.

Here is another example from Oakland currently:

The Raiders signed rookie minicamp standout Marcel Reece.

That Reece was signed after his good showing as a tryout player during last weekend’s minicamp is keeping consistent with what Lane Kiffin has preached.

Players that produce will be rewarded.

He was given a Raiders helmet for his effort last weekend, something the other tryout players wouldn’t leave team headquarters with.

Reece played tight end, receiver and running back at the camp. Listed at 6-foot-3, 240 pounds, Reece is the kind of player that can create matchup problems the Raiders want to create on offense.

He played receiver at Washington and that’s the position the Raiders list him at.

Reece has a ways to go to make the team.

Benson Still the Starter

I’m hoping that Cedric will get back to form and we see that guy that we know he is. What exactly was his form before? :wacko:

Not good news for Forte owners (that includes me). While most would think that Forte doesn't have to do much more than continue breathing to outplay Benson, Lovie has shown a maddening irrational love for his vets regardless of how poorly they play. This definetly bears watching carefully.

Walker Needs to Improve

I believe this falls into the karma/what-goes-around-comes-around category. Given what a whiny prick Walker has been throughout his career, this could be justice.