[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

32 Teams, 32 Questions

darin3

Philadelphia Eagles: Are Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis good enough WRs to be considered “#1 and #2”?

Two #2s equals a 1 and a 3, right!?!

But hey we drafted the next Steve Smith :wacko:

Edited by Zooty

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Bay Packers: Two words: Aaron Rodgers. Two more words: Can he?

Even 2 more words. Of course.

I'm anxious for this reason. In the multi receiver offense Rodgers will stay within it better than the gunslinger Brett Farvre.

The problem with Rodgers is less his ability and more his DUR-ability.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Who is the better fantasy value: Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward or Limas Sweed?

I wouldn't touch Sweed this season in a redraft league. Historically, the Steelers system doesn't produce big numbers for rookie WR's. Sweed will have to work his way into the line up with Nate Washington still being infront of him. Holmes came on nice his rookie year but it wasn't until last season that he really seemed to come into his own. The last rookie Steelers WR that I can remember putting up good steady numbers on a regular basis was Louis Lipps. Lipps also had add on stats from punt returns. In a keeper/dynasty league, Sweed would be a nice pick up for the future if your WR depth is good enough to take the hit this season.

I still think Holmes is the best value here. Getting a potential top 10 WR at the end of the 3rd round or early 4th round (12 team league) is a great value pick IMO.

Just my :wacko: .

Edited by max

San Francisco 49ers: With Mike Martz at the helm, will the passing game yield fantasy action?

With very little depth on the O-Line and a shaky QB situation the risk at this point may be bigger than any reward. In terms of FF scoring Bruce would probably be the safe bet in a redraft although I do think Arnaz Battle could wind up being the most consistent and best value, not sold on Bryant Johnson yet at all especially since he will probably go higher than the others, and Jason Hill IMO is the guy to keep an eye on in dynasty leagues. Right now the only thing for certain is that there are far more questions than answers for this team on both sides of the ball.

New England Patriots: Who’s their third best receiving option?

I'm assuming you mean receiving option as a WR or a TE, because it would not surprise me at all to see Kevin Faulk as the third leading receiver again this year. But with only 600-something combined yards, catching 47 balls had little to no fantasy value.

As for the question at hand. The Patriots need to replace Stallworth's production. 46 - 697 - 5. The main candidates at this point are Gafney, Watson and shhh, Chad Jackson. Gafeny is certainly the oddds on favorite, just because he's been in the system for two years. But his 36 catch performace from last year leaves me, :D . Gafney's comfortable. He's safe. You know what you're going to get. And it doesn't do much for me. With Watson, this may be the make or break year for him. So much promise, so much talent, so much pottential, so much time left :wacko: wondering why he hasn't done it yet. It's hard for me to imagine the TE spot being the third leading receiver on this team, given the number of 3 and 4 wide sets they run. Watson will catch his share of TDs (6 last year) because there should still be a lot to go around and he's a big red zone target, but I can't see more than 40-45 catches for about 450 from him this year.

And that brings us to Jackson, a WR entering his third year ( :D ). Coming out of Florida, he was a 1st round talent that slipped to the early 2nd. He certainly passes the eye-ball test at 6-1 and 215. He looks like he was born to play WR. The problem? The guy can't stay healthy. Played in 2 games last year, and 12 as a rookie, but saw limited action. Even so, on his 13 catches that year, managed 3 TDs.

The thing that is leading me toward saying Jackson is what production is being replaced. Donte Stallworth's. Jackson is a much more similar player to Donte than Gafney is, having 4.32 speed and decent size. Stallworth averaged 15.2 last year, and I just can't see Gafney filling that roll. IF, and that's a Roseanne-sized IF, but IF Jackson's healthy, he could be a pleasant surprise. Moss and Welker will get theirs. And Faulk will catch his, as will Watson. But after that, someone could finish the year with close to 60 grabs and as many as 6 TDs. The safe money says Gafney till we see some pre-season work, but my gut says Jackson based on talent.

Washington Redskins: Lots of cooks in the WR kitchen. Will one (or more) emerge?

I do not see one reciever having a huge year. What I do see is a balanced use of four: Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly. Cooley will also be in the picture and IMO he will have the bigger year of them all.

The problem with Rodgers is less his ability and more his DUR-ability.

You could be right. I never thought he was injury prone and the 2 injuries were a fluke, but we'll see. Right now I'm optimistic. :wacko:

Washington Redskins: Lots of cooks in the WR kitchen. Will one (or more) emerge?

I do not see one reciever having a huge year. What I do see is a balanced use of four: Moss, Randle El, Thomas and Kelly. Cooley will also be in the picture and IMO he will have the bigger year of them all.

Interesting... my take on the upcoming year is that Cooley's production might suffer since there will be more legitimate threats to spread the ball around to. Now sometimes that means that the stud in question is open even more, but I think in Cooley's case, he was already maximizing his ability to get open and produce... he didn't need other people to help him in order to increase his production. So, I think that more competition for the football in Washington will reduce his FF numbers from last year somewhat. Still a stud at TE though by any measure.

What round do peole seeing him get drafted 5/6??

In 16 team leagues 4.11 and I got him at 5.09 in another. I've seen him 4th to 6th in 12 team leagues.

Edited by Randall

Seattle Seahawks: Can Julius Jones get it done?

No.

Oh, come on sky, why you gotta single out Jones, when in fact there is NOBODY on the offensive side of the football that can be considered a valuable commodity outside of Hasselbeck.

RB - a committee with no real indication who is going to handle the workload or get the TDs.

WR - Branch isn't practicing yet. Engram is threatening a holdout. Burleson had some success last year, but his track record isn't stellar. Obomanu and Taylor are very unproven. Logan Payne and Jordan Kent may be names to keep an eye on in August.

TE - Presumably the rookie John Carlson is going to get the starting nod, but in the OTAs, Putzier has been getting the work with the #1 O.

PK - Olindo Mare or the kid they drafted?

DEF - Could be real solid with the NFC West schedule and some big time playmakers in Trufant and Kelly jennings, a much upgraded D-Line and some swapping around of the LB corps making Leroy Hill more active.

Two #2s equals a 1 and a 3, right!?!

But hey we drafted the next Steve Smith :wacko:

Yeah but...sounds a lot like Stallworth so far

Eagles WR/KR Jackson Proving To Be Fragile

Nick Fierro, Newark Star-Ledger -

Philadelphia Eagles rookie WR/KR DeSean Jackson again missed practice at mini-camp on Monday with a hamstring injury.

Oh, come on sky, why you gotta single out Jones, when in fact there is NOBODY on the offensive side of the football that can be considered a valuable commodity outside of Hasselbeck.

But he didn't ask about anyone else. He only asked about Jones. And I don't believe Jones can get it done. Or he can't get it done against any team other than the Seahawks. Jones will not be gold for anyone.... mark my words.

New York Giants: Will there be a “Super Bowl hangover” that affects fantasy values?

It's a good question. I think the best way to go about answering this is through historical research. Go back to all the skill players on, oh say, the last 5 SB Champ teams and compare their stats from the SB year to the next year. There would need to be compensation for injuries that occured in either year, maybe by coming up with a Fantasy Points per Healthy Game number for any player affected by injury over that 2 year span.

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you on this one. . . . it's a number cruncher's dream.

But he didn't ask about anyone else. He only asked about Jones. And I don't believe Jones can get it done. Or he can't get it done against any team other than the Seahawks. Jones will not be gold for anyone.... mark my words.

I have no reason to doubt this whatsoever.

Then if not Jones, who? I don't like Seattle's rb situation either, but someone has to carry the load. I see him as at least a rb3.

At this point I don't see how you cam "prop" any Raider O player. Their O-line is a shambles and has lost its center from last year. Until they can show that they are even just "sucky" in the O-line, they will have trouble getting any of their guys production. Oh, and a young QB who will be running for his life... A LOT!

At this point I don't see how you cam "prop" any Raider O player. Their O-line is a shambles and has lost its center from last year. Until they can show that they are even just "sucky" in the O-line, they will have trouble getting any of their guys production. Oh, and a young QB who will be running for his life... A LOT!

They had a pretty decent running game last year, didn't they?

Then if not Jones, who? I don't like Seattle's rb situation either, but someone has to carry the load. I see him as at least a rb3.

I like Jones better than Morris, that's for sure. I still hold out for the idea that Leonard Weaver might be better suited as an RB than a FB. The Hawks drafted a FB in the 5th Round that sounds like a gamer and served notice that Weaver has some competition ahead of him for August. Essentially, the backfield is completely up in the air, with some combination of Julius Jones, T.J. Duckett, Maurice Morris, Justin Forsett, and Leonard Weaver getting the carries and touchdowns.

At this point I might rank them as Jones an RB3, Duckett and Morris as about RB5s, Weaver RB6, and Forsett as a flier pick. Until we see some workloads, not sure there's any other way to figure out how it's going to fall out.

Interesting... my take on the upcoming year is that Cooley's production might suffer since there will be more legitimate threats to spread the ball around to. Now sometimes that means that the stud in question is open even more, but I think in Cooley's case, he was already maximizing his ability to get open and produce... he didn't need other people to help him in order to increase his production. So, I think that more competition for the football in Washington will reduce his FF numbers from last year somewhat. Still a stud at TE though by any measure.

Now he gets to match up with LBs instead of quicker 3rd and 4th corners...

Carolina Panthers: Are D.J. Hackett and Muhsin Muhammed the kinds of WRs that will help Steve Smith get back to fantasy stardom?

Well, I think more hinges on Delhomme's ability to stay healthy all year as there is no real backup there that can make Smith a top WR. Having Muhammad and Hackett will help in terms of Smith not getting triple teamed. If they run a 3 WR spread, then Smith can roam, Hackett can go deep and Muhammad is your possession/safety valve.

Also, Stewart needs to be a viable RB and keep defenses honest. If he and Williams dance in the backfield and get stuffed for loses early, then the focus of the defenses will shift to the WR and that will hurt Smith's value.

In all, I expect that Smith will be a top 10 WR and will reward the owners in keeper leagues who suffered through last year with a nice bounce back year.

San Diego Chargers: Is there another Michael Turner on this team?

I actually like Marcus Thomas as the "real" back-up to LT. Don't get me wrong, Hester will be on the filed a lot this season and all over the place and probably the better fantasy pick. He has already worked in the slot, TE, HB, FB... well, every skill position except WR (and I think they even split him a couple of times :wacko: ). His role will be the type of "fullback" that Turner had hoped to have. One that can stay at home and block, stuff it up the middle or shift out and catch a pass with match-up games. When asked after the OCSs, Turner said that Hester has been everything he hoped and can't wait "TO SEE HIM BLOCK" once they get the pads on. This does not sound like a full time RB in the style of LT or Turner.

Thomas, is much more of a pure runner. Big, fast and changes direction on one or two cuts pretty well. He is NOT an LT, but who is? He could be very effective in this offense if the unthinkable happened to LT. He is much more capable of breaking the long run from scrimmage because of his speed than Hester. His size should make him more durable that Sproles (who will have a role on third down and specialty plays) and clearly the more obvious 1st and 2nd down guy in the backfield. I really see this guy as the "handcuff" to LT at this point.

This is not gospel and only after training camp and a few pre-season games will this shakeout, but for now, as stated earlier, I like Thomas as the early favorite as LT's handcuff.