[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baltimore - Houston game

Grits and Shins

There really is no choice...it has to be treated as a bye week. Look, if the NFL comes out and says that this now is Houston and Baltimore's bye week, as they did, it is. Period. I don't think there is any room for discretion.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is garbage..........ive got andre and daniels on one team and i just lost colston there too

the nfl couldnt move the game to baltimore once they knew a damn hurricane was comin towards houston?

Sure but most hurricanes don't cause this much damage.

What happens if it jogs west and misses Houston by 100 miles? Hurricanes aren't that easy to predict. Not yet anyway.

Baltimore? They got a lot of complaints when they did that after Katrina and it hurts local fans. There are closer stadiums that would have worked better. Maybe next time they'll act quicker.

I (commish) had to do something different because our leagues waivers are all blind bidding (real dollar), with first 'round' ending on weds, 2nd on thurs. So no pickups available.

I stated that you can either take last weeks points from a player, or treat as bye. Thankfully it's Hou and Bal, so the impact is light, but my team and another have Daniels/Brown and no backup at that position, so get last weeks points. Johnsons is the only real issue to me.

Our league uses SportsLine, which allows the commish to add an additional reserve roster spot. He's doing this for one week so teams to pickup one player w/o dropping another.

In my case, I have BAL D and AJohnson. I picked up TB D w/o having to drop BAL. Still hosed with Johnson.

This seems like an EXTREMELY FAIR option !!!

Our league uses SportsLine, which allows the commish to add an additional reserve roster spot. He's doing this for one week so teams to pickup one player w/o dropping another.

In my case, I have BAL D and AJohnson. I picked up TB D w/o having to drop BAL. Still hosed with Johnson.

This seems like an EXTREMELY FAIR option !!!

I disagree ... that is NOT fair. Every other team in the league has to maintain the same roster size and cut players to cover their bye weeks. Why should the short notice give you an extra roster spot? This will be the bye week for those players ... no different than the bye week for any other player. You are no more 'hosed with Johnson' than you would have been in 10 when Baltimore was originally scheduled to have their off week.

I (commish) had to do something different because our leagues waivers are all blind bidding (real dollar), with first 'round' ending on weds, 2nd on thurs. So no pickups available.

I stated that you can either take last weeks points from a player, or treat as bye. Thankfully it's Hou and Bal, so the impact is light, but my team and another have Daniels/Brown and no backup at that position, so get last weeks points. Johnsons is the only real issue to me.

Couldn't you do another waiver run and process it in the morning?

If your league uses Sportsline, they are treating it as a bye week. (They posted that a few minutes ago.) If I were in your league, I would be pissed if you did something different.

Apparently the Texans were unwilling to play the game this weekend in any place but Houston. I guess they didn't want to get screwed out of a home game (and the $$ that comes with it) like the Saints did a few years back with Katrina? :wacko: Sucks for the Ravens.

Edited by budlitebrad

Apparently the Texans were unwilling to play the game this weekend in any place but Houston. I guess they didn't want to get screwed out of a home game (and the $$ that comes with it) like the Saints did a few years back with Katrina? :wacko: Sucks for the Ravens.

There was talk of playing it at Rice or San Antonio, but conditions are pretty bad down there. I don't really blame them.

In the one league where we don't have FCFS waivers I opened them for the teams with 1 D or kicker.

MFL message:

NFL Schedule Change for Baltimore-Houston Game

Hide Message

This weekend's game between the Baltimore Ravens and Houston Texans has been postponed until Week 10, and therefore the Ravens and Texans have a BYE this week. Please be sure to check your team's starting lineup and take appropriate measures to submit a lineup without any Raven or Texan players for Week #2!

The NFL decided on Saturday evening at about 6:30pm ET, that the game this weekend will be postponed. Therefore, we have updated the NFL schedule for your fantasy league to reflect the official changes from the NFL. The Texans and Ravens now have a BYE this week.

Here is the full story from the NFL:

Because of extensive damage at Reliant Stadium and the devastation in Houston and the surrounding areas caused by Hurricane Ike, the Houston Texans' home game against the Baltimore Ravens this weekend has been rescheduled for Sunday, Nov. 9 (1 p.m. ET) at Reliant Stadium.

Short notice made it logistically impossible to play this week at alternate sites. The change in dates also affects the Cincinnati Bengals' bye week schedule.

The regular-season schedule for the Houston Texans, Baltimore Ravens and Cincinnati Bengals has been changed as a result of this weekend's postponement. The changes for these three teams are as follows:

The Houston Texans' bye has been changed from Week #8 to Week #2

The Texans' next two games will take place as scheduled on the road -- Sunday, Sept. 21 against the Tennessee Titans at LP Field and Sunday, Sept. 28 against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.

The Baltimore Ravens' bye has been changed from Week #10 to Week #2

The Cincinnati Bengals' bye has been changed from Week #8 to Week #10

The Texans' home game against the Cincinnati Bengals originally scheduled for Week #10 has been rescheduled for Week #8

I disagree ... that is NOT fair. Every other team in the league has to maintain the same roster size and cut players to cover their bye weeks. Why should the short notice give you an extra roster spot? This will be the bye week for those players ... no different than the bye week for any other player. You are no more 'hosed with Johnson' than you would have been in 10 when Baltimore was originally scheduled to have their off week.

I disagree. If you build and manage a team in such a way that you have to cut a player to make room to add a player to cover a scheduled BYE, then you are not a very good owner IMO. However, if you build a team taking each player's BYE weeks into consideration and then one of those BYE weeks changes two days before the game was to be played and that puts you into a bind, it does change things and it is not the same. I am not saying this individual deserves any special treatment because of this, but its not really correct to say "This will be the bye week for those players ... no different than the bye week for any other player" or "You are no more 'hosed with Johnson' than you would have been in 10 when Baltimore was originally scheduled to have their off week".

As far as the leagues I am commissioner of, we are treating it as the BYE for each team and it is up to each owner to make roster adjustments accordingly. We allow transactions right up until a few minutes before kickoff of each player's game, so our owners have some flexibility if they need to replace one of the DST or K. Otherwise, they will just have to swap out McGahee, Shaub, and AJ for other players. As someone mentioned earlier, luckily its the Texans vs Ravens...

Edited by Delicious_bass

I disagree. If you build and manage a team in such a way that you have to cut a player to make room to add a player to cover a scheduled BYE, then you are not a very good owner IMO. However, if you build a team taking each player's BYE weeks into consideration and then one of those BYE weeks changes two days before the game was to be played and that puts you into a bind, it does change things and it is not the same. I am not saying this individual deserves any special treatment because of this, but its not really correct to say "This will be the bye week for those players ... no different than the bye week for any other player" or "You are no more 'hosed with Johnson' than you would have been in 10 when Baltimore was originally scheduled to have their off week".

As far as the leagues I am commissioner of, we are treating it as the BYE for each team and it is up to each owner to make roster adjustments accordingly. We allow transactions right up until a few minutes before kickoff of each player's game, so our owners have some flexibility if they need to replace one of the DST or K. Otherwise, they will just have to swap out McGahee, Shaub, and AJ for other players. As someone mentioned earlier, luckily its the Texans vs Ravens...

It is not different than the adjustments you have to make when one of your players gets injured.

It is not different than the adjustments you have to make when one of your players gets injured.

I agree with you there, and that is why we are not making any special considerations or exceptions for those players that are impacted. Its kinda tough luck for those owners.

I just disagreed with you when you said Balt or Hou players being on a BYE this week was no different than later in the season when they were scheduled. The timing is in play here and does change things. If you are scheduled to have a test in a month and you dont prepare and fail it, its your fault and you have no excuse. If the test is suddenly moved up to two days from now, you're likely to fail and its not really all your fault...

Edited by Delicious_bass

meh....this opinion says alot.

It is frickin' different... as having one player all of the sudden becoming hurt this late on a saturday night is rare...and is NOT nearly the same as two full NFL rosters all of the sudden being pulled from play.

Not like there are a ton of Balt or Houston players being used this weekend. But as commish of my local, I have went in and pulled ALL players from this game from all the teams that had them in their starting lineups and replaced them with another player from their roster. It's late saturday night...people go out of town. It's one thing to have one rare player not play due to injury. It's a totally different thing to have entire rosters removed this late in the weekend.

Our league made a good decision, IMO. This allows teams to treat this as a bye week w/o the penalty of losing a "drafted" roster spot for this unforseen situation. After this week, the reserve roster spot is gone and I'll simply drop the player/D used.

Pretty simple - and fair !!!

I can't believe the NFL could not schedule this game at another location. It seems there are several location options - it's laughable that they initially moved the game to Monday night thinking a hurricane 2 days prior would leave no damage. Nice contingency plan Goodell.
I'm sure with all the infinite power the NFL has it would have been no problem to find an alternate site, sign all the contract paperwork, made travel arrangements for not only all the on field personnel but also two teams and all their entourages, the network personnel and equipment (which doesn't easily fly around). Plus toss in wherever they go having to get stadium staff, concession stand workers, parking lot attendants, etc. It's not that it couldn't be done, but it's just not feasible to do essentially in 48 hours.

I agree with you there, and that is why we are not making any special considerations or exceptions for those players that are impacted. Its kinda tough luck for those owners.

I just disagreed with you when you said Balt or Hou players being on a BYE this week was no different than later in the season when they were scheduled. The timing is in play here and does change things. If you are scheduled to have a test in a month and you dont prepare and fail it, its your fault and you have no excuse. If the test is suddenly moved up to two days from now, you're likely to fail and its not really all your fault...

Here's the deal. NO OTHER PLAYERS ARE OFF IN WEEK 2. So if they had plans in place to cover the off weeks of their BAL and HOU players than those plans were not impacted. So my statement is true ... he is no worse off having AJohnson off in week 2 than he is in having AJohnson off in week 10.

Our league made a good decision, IMO. This allows teams to treat this as a bye week w/o the penalty of losing a "drafted" roster spot for this unforseen situation. After this week, the reserve roster spot is gone and I'll simply drop the player/D used.

Pretty simple - and fair !!!

It is only fair if I get the same ability when my defense is off in a future week. I only carry one defense and would love to have a temporary roster spot to pick up a one week team defense.

Simple yes ... fair no.

Try having both HOU and BAL as your only two defenses and your commish tells you that you can't pick up a different defense because waivers only run on Wednesdays and Thursdays and he doesn't want to piss off the other 15 teams. :wacko:

See this isn't fair, although I'm biased and in the same boat. The fairest thing is to let the league vote on it. I can't imagine someone voting down that you can't pick up another defence.

See this isn't fair, although I'm biased and in the same boat. The fairest thing is to let the league vote on it. I can't imagine someone voting down that you can't pick up another defence.

Especially since the only free agent Defenses all pretty much suck anyway, but at least they probably wouldn't be zero points.