[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cassel to be tagged by Pats

Whiskey Pimp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO, there is no way Brady gets traded?

There was also no doubt that Bledsoe would lead the Patriots for years more than he did. Rightttt.

We've seen it in every sport; athletes get traded. Superstars get traded. It CAN happen.

Bledsoe sucked. I along with all other half-competent Pats fans already knew that well before Brady ever even came on board. We were screaming for them to bench the bum in favor of a backup named Michael Bishop long before Bledsoe's fateful injury.

Parcells knew he was a bum too. For the same reason he was always riding Drew's ass and chewing him out for the first few years of his career. Those were the best years Bledsoe ever had. Once Parcells left town it was only a matter of time for Drew.

Edited by Crazysight

LMAO, there is no way Brady gets traded?

There was also no doubt that Bledsoe would lead the Patriots for years more than he did. Rightttt.

We've seen it in every sport; athletes get traded. Superstars get traded. It CAN happen.

Wait, did you actually just compare Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady? You deserve a C'mon man!

Edited by Sleeping King

Bledsoe sucked. I along with all other half-competent Pats fans already knew that well before Brady ever even came on board. We were screaming for them to bench the bum in favor of a backup named Michael Bishop long before Bledsoe's fateful injury.

Parcells knew he was a bum too. For the same reason he was always riding Drew's ass and chewing him out for the first few years of his career. Those were the best years Bledsoe ever had. Once Parcells left town it was only a matter of time for Drew.

Parcells rode Phil Simms ass for almost a decade. I hardly see your point.

And no way Brady is traded, and Cassell is a bum. Dude has 2 of the best weapons in the NFL at his disposal, and one of the better OL, and he couldnt get his team in the playoffs. Is it just me or is Cassells stats being confused for good Qb play.

And no way Brady is traded, and Cassell is a bum. Dude has 2 of the best weapons in the NFL at his disposal, and one of the better OL, and he couldnt get his team in the playoffs. Is it just me or is Cassells stats being confused for good Qb play.

The first 11-5 team to miss the playoffs for years. Cassel (correct spelling) is not a bum.

Wow...PFT...

FRANCHISE TENDER WILL TRIGGER $14.4 MILLION PAYDAY FOR CASSEL

Posted by Mike Florio on January 2, 2009, 11:52 a.m.

A reader has forwarded to us the 2008 cap numbers for the five highest-paid quarterbacks, and we’ve confirmed via a league source that the numbers are indeed accurate.

Here they are: (1) Peyton Manning, $18,704,320; (2) Tom Brady, $14,621,320; (3) Carson Palmer, $13,980,001; (4) Eli Manning, $12,916,666; and (5) Brett Favre, $12,000,000.

It works out to an average of $14,444,461.40 — and that’s the amount of the one-year tender that the Patriots would have to extend to quarterback Matt Cassel if/when the franchise tag is applied to him.

Given that Brady’s cap number in 2009 will be $14,626,000, franchising Cassel will tie up more than $29 million in cap space in only two players.

This is why even a sign and trade deal would be hard for the Pats to pull off, since they'd have to fit Cassel in under the cap prior to the trade.

This is why even a sign and trade deal would be hard for the Pats to pull off, since they'd have to fit Cassel in under the cap prior to the trade.

But once they trade him, then i believe the cap space would be freed up. And they have some extra cap space now so it seems possible.

seems like a no brainer. tag him, wait to see how brady's progressing, and trade him if they don't need him. am i missing what the downside is here?

nope - it is a CYA no-brainer, other than possible cap issues (can't say). QB position is too important and Cassell has proven himself for the most part.

But once they trade him, then i believe the cap space would be freed up. And they have some extra cap space now so it seems possible.

I believe that on paper they're roughly $19mil under, however, that doesn't count the bump ups in cap figures for players currently rostered or some such. $29mil is way out of whack to tie up on one position. They'd have to cut a bunch of players in hopes of resigning them, etc. One way or the other, it's going to be a gamble.

Possible scenario?

Pioli and Cassel get traded to (say) CLE for a 1st and 3rd in 2009 and a 3rd in 2010...

I know that teams can trade coaches, but can they trade front-office execs?

Cleveland would not have to give anything to NE for Pioli. He doesn't have final say on the football operations therefore he can take any job that does allow him to without any compensation.

• 4 weeks later...

The franchise number for quarterbacks this offseason is $14.65 million.

That will be Matt Cassel's exact cap charge if the Patriots franchise him and is nearly identical to Tom Brady's cap number. The Patriots will be investing nearly $30 million at the quarterback position if they keep both players.

Franchise and transition tags analysis

There is 0% chance that happens. Cassel will be traded for picks.

Why wouldn't he just wait a year - collect the $15 million and hit the market next year. He would have to renegotiate his contract if he were traded to another team, right? I can't imagine anybody giving up picks and taking on that contract if he wouldn't.

He wouldn't even be being a dewsh by doing it. It was the Pats choice to tag him (and kind of hold him hostage)

Why wouldn't he just wait a year - collect the $15 million and hit the market next year. He would have to renegotiate his contract if he were traded to another team, right? I can't imagine anybody giving up picks and taking on that contract if he wouldn't.

He wouldn't even be being a dewsh by doing it. It was the Pats choice to tag him (and kind of hold him hostage)

Not really his choice to wait a year....ball seems to be completely in Pats court. They apparently don't want him to walk and get nothing in return, or they wouldn't have tagged him.

When he is traded, he would likely sign a long-term deal with his new team, and they would give him less of a signing-bonus than normal since he is making so much in 2009. In the end, the numbers will work for his new team.

I think its pretty simple...the Pats know there are teams that will give picks for him, so rather than let him walk and get nothing, they tagged him, knowing his new team will work his one-year $15M salary into his new deal.

Not really his choice to wait a year....ball seems to be completely in Pats court. They apparently don't want him to walk and get nothing in return, or they wouldn't have tagged him.

When he is traded, he would likely sign a long-term deal with his new team, and they would give him less of a signing-bonus than normal since he is making so much in 2009. In the end, the numbers will work for his new team.

I think its pretty simple...the Pats know there are teams that will give picks for him, so rather than let him walk and get nothing, they tagged him, knowing his new team will work his one-year $15M salary into his new deal.

But he doesn't have to sign a new deal, does he? By being franchised, isn't he signed to a 1 year contract at $15 million. Isn't any trading partner essentially trading for that contract? Can't he just insist that he play out the contract? Am I missing something?

It might be seen as holding a team hostage - but they decided to tag him.

But he doesn't have to sign a new deal, does he? By being franchised, isn't he signed to a 1 year contract at $15 million. Isn't any trading partner essentially trading for that contract? Can't he just insist that he play out the contract? Am I missing something?

It might be seen as holding a team hostage - but they decided to tag him.

You mean he just plays the 1 year contract, falls on his face and then is a UFA with no suitors? I'm not saying that will happen but that certainly could happen if he didn't sign a longterm deal to his new team.

You mean he just plays the 1 year contract, falls on his face and then is a UFA with no suitors? I'm not saying that will happen but that certainly could happen if he didn't sign a longterm deal to his new team.

I guess so. He'll either sit on the bench for 15 million or have a chance to build upon last year. The only way this guy is going to see anywhere close to 15 million otherwise is if he's successful with the team he is traded to.

If he is successful with the team he is traded to, then he's likely a good QB as his greatest chance for success is on a team with a system he knows - on a team with Moss and Welker. If he's a good QB than he'd be unlikely to fall on his face if he stayed with the pats this year. Even if he did - somebody is going to offer this guy a contract. the greatest risk here is the risk of injury - but there is a lot to be gained and the basement is a 15 million dollar contract.

If the Pats do look to trade him, its likely because Brady is healthy and able to start. If that is the case, he wouldn't have a chance to fall on his face, he could collect his 15 million and get a contract with a team when the season is over.

unlikely - but man would I love to see that happen to the pats.

That's what I would guess, but I wouldn't be so sure. I can't imagine that many teams would want to pony up $15 million for one year of a good-but-not-great backup QB. I imagine that the Pats would have to eat part of his salary and negotiations may get to the point where it wouldn't be worth their while - especially if they're not right up against the cap.

It's possible, but the multi-year deal that he signed with the new team would almost certainly be MUCH less than $15 million in guaranteed money. I see no reason why Cassel would agree to that. I sure as hell wouldn't. If Cassel were to go to, say, the Bears and his numbers tanked because he no longer has Moss, Welker, and the Pats coaching staff, there's a good chance that he'd get cut the next season and lose several million dollars. If I'm Cassel, I do whatever I can to hold onto that $15 million guaranteed.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Has he been franchised or are they just saying he will be? They can't do it yet can they?

Hasn't happened yet. Gotta believe those feelers are out to see if they can get a 1st rounder for him after they tag him.

Has he been franchised or are they just saying he will be? They can't do it yet can they?

Not allowed to do so yet.

Teams can officially designate Franchise and Transition Players between Feb 5, 2009 and Feb 19, 2009.

February 26 is the deadline for clubs to submit qualifying offers to their RFAs whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Draft Compensation.

Free Agency officially begins on February 27. For RFAs, the period officially ends on April 17. The deadline for old clubs to exercise the Right of First Refusal to RFAs is April 24. For UFAs (including Franchise players and Transition players), who have been given a tender offer from their prior team, the period officially ends on July 22 or the first day of training camp -- whichever is later.

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

This isn't actually true. They can't trade him unless they own his rights. As it stands, they only own his right for a few more weeks. The whole point of franchising/trading him is that they would have to be able to eat the cap number for as long as they keep him on the roster. If they can work out a trade, it's then up to another team to sign him to a long term deal. The receiving team wouldn't have to stick with the one year franchise number.

Why don't you guys know this? :wacko: