[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who will be the Breakout W/R this Year

ArmchairQb101868

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko:

I'm not sure you can say that DeSean Jackson had a breakout season. He simply kept improving over his 2008 performance.

He had 912 yards receiving and only 3 TD's (including one rushing) as a rookie. One punt return for a TD.

He's got 1,120 yards and 10 TD's (including one rushing) so far this year. Two punt returns for TD's.

I'd consider that a break-out. Tripling your TD's?

Edited by CaptainHook

He's a decent play and with the right mentoring i could see it happening. Especially with the fact that he's a free agent i would love to see a team take a chance on him and for him to have a big year next year.

What about ANYTHING that he has done gives you that thought?

He's a decent play and with the right mentoring i could see it happening. Especially with the fact that he's a free agent i would love to see a team take a chance on him and for him to have a big year next year.

He has only 2 years experience, making him an exclusive-rights free agent to the Steelers, meaning he can only negioate with them. The only ways for him to land on another team is by trade or waivers.

:wacko:

Does that mean you're upset that you made a very popular/obvious sleeper pick?

Guys like Wallace and Crabtree will be similar next year and IMO end up costing more than they're worth.

I had a good feeling about Steve Smith NYG this year. Course I had it about Avery too, so.....

Sidney Rice

Good call dude! I've also heard about this guy the Patriots picked up - Wes Welker. I'm tellin' ya, he's gonna be GOLD!

More seriously, I think Hartline in MIA is one to watch. Nate Washington in TN, if Young is the starter all season there, could end up being a low-end #2 or high #3 WR next year. MM in Cleveland if they can actually generate some offense, and I like Early Doucett in ARI if Boldin goes away.

Limas Sweed

If it is going to be Limas Sweed, it will have to be somewhere outside of Pittsburgh, at least next year. Mike Wallace took Sweed right out of the picture and Ward and Santonio will be back next year. I still believe Sweed has some great skills, but, right now, he hasn't shown that he is mentally there. He loses concentration far too often. I'm not sure what happened with him, but, he has been on the non-injured/personal issues list (whatever that is called). Tomlin wouldn't elaborate other than to say that he is dealing with "a personal situation". So, to sum up.....don't bet on it.

I'm not trying to be a contrarian here, but I don't look at something as volatile as TDs when evaluating a player. I'm not very smart, so it's probably dumb on my part. But his receptions and yards did not staggeringly increase. To me, he's just a great WR who's continuing to improve. In other words, I consider his rookie season as his breakout.

once you grasp Andy reid's offense, that's half the battle...he also lost at least 3 TD's last year on just making rookie mistakes (remember when he spiked the ball down at the 2 yd line thinking he was already in the endzone?)....

this year he is even more comfortable with the offense and it shows because he knows how to get open when the play breaks down....that's something that is very difficult to teach and he seems to just have a knack for it...

so I'm not sure I would consider this a breakout year for him even though he's been plenty more consistent than he was last year...

but he was already good last year....so yeah...

Does that mean you're upset that you made a very popular/obvious sleeper pick?

Guys like Wallace and Crabtree will be similar next year and IMO end up costing more than they're worth.

I had a good feeling about Steve Smith NYG this year. Course I had it about Avery too, so.....

yeah, I had Avery, Rice and someone else down as good sleepers..

I hit on 1/3....which still isn't bad, but I thought Manningham had more talent than Smith in NY....but Smith is extremely steady with his production...