[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Sleazy is Pre-Title Game Pot-Splitting?

staniels12

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I enjoy the cash when I do come in the money, fantasy football really isnt about cash to me. I am in some leagues that have a 250 dollar payout. Would anyone really bust their balls all year to compete for 250 like my mortgage depended on it ? No, IMO. It is about beating out the other teams , getting a title and the satisfaction / bragging rights / trash talking that comes with it.

This!

I love FF and would play even if there were no money involved. But as we all know, money not only makes it more interesting, it keeps everyone maintaining their teams properly. The money is a nice little extra, but winning a title is much more satisfying. Now I'm talking about 50-100 dollar per team leagues. I'm sure if it were a big money league I would feel a lot differently but with big dollar leagues comes pressure and stress IMO and I really already have plenty of that to go around now. FF is one of my escapes from my day to day stress levels and really wouldn't want it any other way.

Edited by 'canes2004

This is my 2 cents.

I play in a total of 5 leagues - 2 family which don't cost me anything. And 3 non family, 1 is the Interboard Challenge which is free and you just play for the bragging rights of your board(the huddle didn't do to hot this year) and then 2 are local leagues which cost a combined $450.

The leagues i play in for money, the split up is the same. 1st - 70% 2nd - 20% and 3rd - 10%. But there have been people who have wanted to do a more even split like 50%/40% but I personally don't believe in it. I have a total of 11 combined championships out of 24 total seasons played. What's nice about free leagues is that there is no dispute, you play for bragging rights and in my 45 person family, that's a big enough deal.....especially when your aunt beats you with Jerome Harrison in the semis.....fml. But in the money leagues, there should not be splitting. You didn't pay money to win 2nd place. If you're going to play FF play to win, that's the truth. If you lose money then you lose money. Not a huge deal, at least in my eyes.

Bottom line here is, nobody makes it to the super bowl to say, hey can we just split it and play it out? No. Because they play to win and in my eyes, that's how FF should work and by asking for a split or accepting the split you might as well have just come out and said, I'm not sure if my team can pull it off. You don't go to Vegas and not gamble...where's the fun in that?

Play to win. Play for bragging rights. And my god be a smug bastard when you win it all!

My buddy and I agreed to split whatever winnings we managed when we made the play-offs three weeks ago. Could've been zero (as neither of us had a first-round bye) or as much as $1400 if we both made the Super Bowl. We both made the Super Bowl (he won) and we each pocketed $700. He, however, earned the bragging rights. And he's enjoying those spoils to the f'n hilt. :wacko:

You have that right, as I do to my opinion. Bottom line, it really doesn't matter what you or I think except to ourselves. This is a pissing in the wind debate. You split, I think you are a balless nut sack. You think you are smart. And who really gives a rats butt either way? :wacko:

You're a ruh-tard.

Not really. I prefer traditional stud, 5 draw or 7 card poker, and pots don't get split. I've never played this Texas hold em nonsense, nor do I want to.

Um, let's see... you asked if a popular game/contest/whatever - other than fantasy football championships' - pots/winnings ever get split, and I provided you with a concrete example. Doesn't matter what kind of poker you do or don't play, who really cares? And just because YOU don't split pots in YOUR games doesn't mean others won't as well. :wacko:

Good point, but.....

We have always used week 17 in our local - since 1992 - and have accepted that a strong bench is required to take home the title. I'd say about half of our finals have ended up being low-scoring slugfests, but they have still been pretty exciting. Every coupla years somebody puts up for vote that we move the final to week 16, but it always gets voted down by about 2 to 1.

At least I've still got J. Harrison, F. Jones, M. Sims-Walker and J. Maclin to fill in for me. I am stuck with Brunell, however. At least my opponent won't have B. Marshall going against me this week.

Good point, but.....

We have always used week 17 in our local - since 1992 - and have accepted that a strong bench is required to take home the title. I'd say about half of our finals have ended up being low-scoring slugfests, but they have still been pretty exciting. Every coupla years somebody puts up for vote that we move the final to week 16, but it always gets voted down by about 2 to 1.

At least I've still got J. Harrison, F. Jones, M. Sims-Walker and J. Maclin to fill in for me. I am stuck with Brunell, however. At least my opponent won't have B. Marshall going against me this week.

It's hard enough to build a starting lineup that consistently wins. Hate to see good team management get screwed because their players may be on a team that is the number one or two seed in the NFL.

Tradition is good most of the time...maybe not so much in FF.

Good luck in the final.