[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Possible overtime change

buddahj

NFL could change overtime format for playoffs

By CLIFF BRUNT, AP Sports Writer

Feb 27, 7:21 pm EST

INDIANAPOLIS (AP)—An NFL spokesman said Saturday the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team to get the ball scores a touchdown, Greg Aiello said. If the first team to get the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.

“There have been various concepts that have been discussed in recent years, but this one has never been proposed,” Aiello said.

The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.

The competition committee met with the players’ union and players on Thursday during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Discussion continued when the competition committee met with a general managers’ advisory committee on Friday.

The debate about the rules gained steam after the NFC championship game, when New Orleans beat Minnesota 31-28 in overtime and Brett Favre’s(notes) Vikings never got the ball in the extra period. Under the proposed rule, Minnesota would have gotten another possession because the Vikings didn’t allow a touchdown.

Overtime was adopted for regular season games in 1974, a sudden-death format that allowed games to end in a tie if neither team scored in 15 minutes. Overtime for playoff games always has been sudden death.

Updated Feb 27, 7:21 pm EST

it's perfect the way it is now. no need for each team to get the ball....you want the ball?....-take it! -last time i checked both teams get to field players.....-play defense. :wacko:

Agree.

If teams don't like overtime rules, they should've outplayed their opponent through the first four quarters.

that seems silly. explain why you'd like that?

as it stands now, the coin toss has too much of an influence on the outcome since the team winning the toss and receiving the ball gets a big advantage. having the team who gets the ball start on the 20 even's out this advantage.

Scrap OT for the regular season completely. Let ties be ties

Go the college route for playoffs.

No way Bear. You want to take Special Teams out of play?

You can't tell me you've forgotten about Dave Williams.

Let college OT be college OT. Don't bring that to the NFL.

Maybe you're right but maybe the stats show the winner of the coin toss more often than not wins the Super Bowl too. Sometimes stats are just stats.

Sometimes they're stats and sometimes they have meaning. In this case, i think there's a reason they'd have meaning. #1, it's very unlikely (although possible, yeah i know Arizona playoff game) to score without the ball. There's a much larger sample size of overtime games going back over time than there are super bowls.

No way Bear. You want to take Special Teams out of play?

You can't tell me you've forgotten about Dave Williams.

Let college OT be college OT. Don't bring that to the NFL.

Good point. I'll go with the proposal in post #1 but I still think regular season ties should stay ties.

Meh, I disagree. Like someone already posted above...play defense..

That's all well and good, but year by year the rules are changed more and more to favor the offense.

My logic is that a rule change still will not change a large percentage of outcomes, so why do it?

I don't think the rules should be changed.

However, if the rules are going to be changed, I find this proposal the most palatable of the bunch.

College overtime is ridiculous.

i like the idea of if a team wants to receive the ball, they start on the 20 (no kickoff).

A better proposal that I have seen involves the two teams "auctioning off" field position. Whichever team is willing to take the ball closer to its own goal-line would get to have the ball first.

First team that scores, wins.

Edited by wiegie

A better proposal that I have seen involves the two teams "auctioning off" field position. Whichever team is willing to take the ball closer to its own goal-line would get to have the ball first.

First team that scores, wins.

i like that as well. it seems a little "out there" to pass though.