[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New NFL rules

jetsfan

I was reading through the new rules and thought some of them were a bit obtuse.

From NFL.com:

The key rules change for player safety bars a defenseless player from being hit in the head or neck area by an opponent who launches himself and uses his helmet, shoulder or forearm to make contact. Previously, those kind of tackles were banned against receivers who couldn't protect themselves, but now it will apply to everyone.

How do you go about assessing this? So, you cannot launch yourself at an RB or FB toting the ball up the middle? are the MLB's supposed to only arm tackle now?

If a punt returner makes a fair-catch signal and muffs the ball, he is entitled to "reasonable opportunity" to recover before it hits the ground without interference of the coverage team. The ball will be rewarded at the spot of the interference, but there will be no penalty yardage marked off.

I see this one sparking controversy as well. What is a "reasonable opportunity?"

If the clock is stopped in the final minute of either half for a replay review but wouldn't have stopped without the review, officials will run off 10 seconds before resuming play. Either team could take a timeout to void the 10-second runoff.

Soooo, if the booth initiates a replay, they run 10 seconds off of the clock??? Hey Sailor! New in town????

Just some bizarre, unquantifiable changes not being discussed. It seems the only one people care about is the overtime change.

From NFL.com:

The key rules change for player safety bars a defenseless player from being hit in the head or neck area by an opponent who launches himself and uses his helmet, shoulder or forearm to make contact. Previously, those kind of tackles were banned against receivers who couldn't protect themselves, but now it will apply to everyone.

How do you go about assessing this? So, you cannot launch yourself at an RB or FB toting the ball up the middle? are the MLB's supposed to only arm tackle now?

Does this specify someone who has possession of the ball? Not sure if that is from the rule verbatim, but the first sentence sounds like it is protecting anyone on the field from taking a cheap shot or getting speared.

From NFL.com:

If a punt returner makes a fair-catch signal and muffs the ball, he is entitled to "reasonable opportunity" to recover before it hits the ground without interference of the coverage team. The ball will be rewarded at the spot of the interference, but there will be no penalty yardage marked off.

I see this one sparking controversy as well. What is a "reasonable opportunity?"

If the clock is stopped in the final minute of either half for a replay review but wouldn't have stopped without the review, officials will run off 10 seconds before resuming play. Either team could take a timeout to void the 10-second runoff.

Soooo, if the booth initiates a replay, they run 10 seconds off of the clock??? Hey Sailor! New in town????

Just some bizarre, unquantifiable changes not being discussed. It seems the only one people care about is the overtime change.

What happens if a team is down by 2 and in FG range and throw a pass that looks like it was incomplete and the clock shows 9 seconds left and they have no timeouts. If no replay and play stands the clock is stopped and they kick a potential game winning FG. now booth calls for replay and confirms it was incomplete - they run off 10 seconds and the team loses???

What happens if a team is down by 2 and in FG range and throw a pass that looks like it was incomplete and the clock shows 9 seconds left and they have no timeouts. If no replay and play stands the clock is stopped and they kick a potential game winning FG. now booth calls for replay and confirms it was incomplete - they run off 10 seconds and the team loses???

I looked up this. They will run off the 10 seconds only if the clock was running when the booth calls replay. Also if a team calls timeout when this happens, the 10 seconds won't be run off.

So in this case the clock was stopped so the clock does not run. The team would be screwed if the initial ruling was complete in bounds with the clock running and the team is scrambling to spike the ball to stop the clock, but before that the booth calls for a review with 9 seconds left.

I looked up this. They will run off the 10 seconds only if the clock was running when the booth calls replay. Also if a team calls timeout when this happens, the 10 seconds won't be run off.

So in this case the clock was stopped so the clock does not run. The team would be screwed if the initial ruling was complete in bounds with the clock running and the team is scrambling to spike the ball to stop the clock, but before that the booth calls for a review with 9 seconds left.

Thanks. Your second scenario does not seem too far fetched. Dumb rule in my opinion.

There is also a new "helmetless" rule....dont have the link to the exact rule but if a players helmet comes off the play is now supposed to be ruled dead at that point....on NFLN the Witten vs Philly catch and TD run without his helmet was one that they showed while talking about the rule....Witten rambled in for a TD on that play without his helmet after being hit...with the new rule the play would have been stopped as soon as he lost his helmet.

first thing I thought was, "I guess they won't be calling for a review once the clock hits 10 seconds".

There is also a new "helmetless" rule....dont have the link to the exact rule but if a players helmet comes off the play is now supposed to be ruled dead at that point....on NFLN the Witten vs Philly catch and TD run without his helmet was one that they showed while talking about the rule....Witten rambled in for a TD on that play without his helmet after being hit...with the new rule the play would have been stopped as soon as he lost his helmet.

Copying a college rule that does that.

I agree with this one. There are so many helmets coming off on the field I was wondering last year if players losing helmets should maybe be penalized five yards.

I agree with this one. There are so many helmets coming off on the field I was wondering last year if players losing helmets should maybe be penalized five yards.

i don't remember if there will be a penalty assessed (there probably should be but it might be hard to put the blame on the player depending the hit) as I was paying half attention but I did pick up on the play being blown dead.

i don't remember if there will be a penalty assessed (there probably should be but it might be hard to put the blame on the player depending the hit) as I was paying half attention but I did pick up on the play being blown dead.

Too many players fail to properly secure their helmet

Copying a college rule that does that.

this is getting moronic....these guys are getting paid (at a minimum) hundreds of thousands of dollars to play an incredibly physical and violent sport. I understand and agree with all of these "player safety" rules at the college level, but these are grown men who are getting paid to do this. They know the risks involved and are compensated fairly for it.

I personally blame the wussy-ass owners who are so scared of their "investment" being damaged that they institute rules like this or the "brady rule".

I'm sure if the players had their way none of this crap would ever be implemented.

Does this apply for any player on any side of the ball?

if so, then a defender could theoretically toss off his helmet in the middle of a break away run and the play would be ruled dead at that point.

I would guess there are more detailed stipulations in the rules to prevent this, but, it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read the post.

I agree fully with some sort of helmet rule.

What if Witten had been tackled hard and cracked his skull?

I think that a defensive player is more reluctant to tackle at 100% for fear of being the guy to crack open a skull.

I kind of like a rule where anybody losing their helmet is out of the play (like Olympic hockey). The play may continue unless it's the ballcarrier, then it's done.