[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interesting article about 18 game schedule

Chief Dick

An 18 game schedule is such an incredibly bad idea that I cringe every time I hear any serious reference to it.

That some feel the need to screw with what appears to be almost an optimal model isn't surprising, though - especially when they think they can wring additonal capital out of it. Beware the unintended consequences...

Edited by Bronco Billy

An 18 game schedule is such an incredibly bad idea that I cringe every time I hear any serious reference to it.

That some feel the need to screw with what appears to be almost an optimal model isn't surprising, though - especially when they think they can wring additonal capital out of it. Beware the unintended consequences...

Exactly. But the almighty dollar fn up the NFL isn't exactly a new thing any more than mismanagement by the circus clowns in charge is. IMO it'll happen within the next 2-3 yrs.

I would put my wager on 2011 being an 18 game season. I almost want it to be since it means no lockout or strike.

I know this is blasphemy, but I'd rather a strike for a variety of reasons. I can get my football fix w/the NCAA and their new 14 game schedule. :wacko:

I know this is blasphemy, but I'd rather a strike for a variety of reasons. I can get my football fix w/the NCAA and their new 14 game schedule. :wacko:

I guess I don't understand why 18 games is bad? The pre-season is pointless as it is. Eliminating it and going to 18 games doesn't put anymore risk on the players, most get about 2 games worth of time in the presaeson anyway, and this way we get more games that count.

I guess I don't understand why 18 games is bad? The pre-season is pointless as it is. Eliminating it and going to 18 games doesn't put anymore risk on the players, most get about 2 games worth of time in the presaeson anyway, and this way we get more games that count.

When you have 18 games that count for real, the starters can't just play a series and stay out like they can in the preseason. I don't think that playing what amounts to 2 regular season games over a 4 week period of a preseason schedule takes the same grind on the players as two real games in two weeks would.

These players are already testing fate by playing the number of games they already do. The human body wasn't built to withstand the collisions of a football game in the first place. I think that we are going over the top by adding more games for them to play.

As a fan though, I would love to watch any games placed on the schedule. But I don't think the product would be as good as it is now.

When you have 18 games that count for real, the starters can't just play a series and stay out like they can in the preseason. I don't think that playing what amounts to 2 regular season games over a 4 week period of a preseason schedule takes the same grind on the players as two real games in two weeks would.

These players are already testing fate by playing the number of games they already do. The human body wasn't built to withstand the collisions of a football game in the first place. I think that we are going over the top by adding more games for them to play.

As a fan though, I would love to watch any games placed on the schedule. But I don't think the product would be as good as it is now.

Good points.

It doesn't matter if it is preseason , regular season or flag football :wacko:

If an injury is going to happen it's going to happen

:tup: I vote for a 52 week season

The mystique of 2000 yards rushing disappears to some degree if they move to 18 games. And Dan Marino's 5084 yes wouldn't stand a chance with the current pass-happy league. Maybe two more games doesn't make that much of a difference, but it should be enough. Still, I think an 18 game season could work if there are two bye weeks. February is already a chitty month for sports, so this could bridge the gap to March Madness nicely.

I wouldn't be happy with them adding one game, but I could deal with it. Two just sounds like they are pushing it. I'd rather have the UFL be the developmental league (not officially, but it could work as their season ends right around thanksgiving).