[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free agent/waiver freeze during playoffs?

Goopster24

During the playoffs, are you allowed to pickup players? Does waivers/free agent pickups only include the teams in the playoffs? Curious to see how leagues do this. My home league has done a "freeze" during the playoffs but now people are resisting that idea. Cool either way, just wanted to see what people do. Thanks!

During the playoffs, are you allowed to pickup players? Does waivers/free agent pickups only include the teams in the playoffs? Curious to see how leagues do this. My home league has done a "freeze" during the playoffs but now people are resisting that idea. Cool either way, just wanted to see what people do. Thanks!

In the leagues I am in the trade deadline is around Week 10, and WW pickups stop the last week of the regular season.

in my local one player keeper league we only allow 2 waiver pick ups a week per team, unless a player is hurt and out for the season (you get an extra pick if you drop said player).

In the playoffs we only allow 1 waiver pick for playoff teams only. Once you are out of the playoffs it is a roaster freeze.

I prefer rosters frozen at end of regular season, but have played it in just about any fashion.

Only rule that is non-negotiable is that if it is a keeper league of any sort, either all teams can make moves or no teams can make moves (though Waterboy's setup of no post regular season pickups being eligible for keeper sort of mitigates this)

In the leagues I am in the trade deadline is around Week 10, and WW pickups stop the last week of the regular season.

This.

We try to follow the NFL as closely as possible. No NFL teams can add free agents to their playoff rosters...why should you be able to do it in fantasy football? IMO, It would suck for a FF championship to be won/lost because someone had a higher waiver pick in Week 16, and was able to get a difference-making player to win them one big week.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

In my local we only allow up to 4 moves per week. The trade deadline is before the start of the last regular season game (week 14). We also don't have waivers or FA during the playoffs. Make all your pickups, like backups for certain positions, prior to the last week of the regular season.

Technically no trade deadline, no pickup deadline since we're a keeper league. However:

After week 9, any player traded CANNOT be kept. This eliminates "buying" a championship by trading a keeper candidate for a CJ or AP.

Once a team is mathematically eliminated from playoffs they may not trade.

Once a team is mathematically eliminated from playoffs, their waiver wire priority goes after teams still in contention. This allows them to add/drop for keepers but the contenders get dibs to try to win a trophy.

Players dropped by eliminated teams MAY NOT be played for the rest of the year. This way:

- an eliminated owner can drop Peterson (assuming he's not keeper eligible) and pickup some young keeper candidate such as Bradford without fear of someone picking him up for easy-mode trophy.

- owners can't bypass the "no trade" rule

We keep going with waivers/FA because one of the larger prizes is total points for the year. League has a long history and way back when used to be a total points only league (no head to head at all). This is a remnant of those early days, I suppose. We don't do much significant change. :wacko: It's a 10-team redraft league with mostly long-time same players (usually lose one or two a year; this year we had everyone return), and we do a 4-team playoff weeks 15 and 16. But weeks 15, 16 and even 17 count for total points. The teams that make it to the playoffs rarely end up looking for player changes in those weeks as I recall. It's very competitive, and very few boneheaded things ever happen.

Waiver pick ups ok for all remaining teams in playoffs, disabled for teams eliminated.

Players picked up after end of regular season are not eligible to be keepers for next year.

This.

We just implemented the post-season-pickups-not-eligible-as-keepers part this season at my behest. [someone was mad they couldn't make WW moves after they were eliminated. I figured this was the better solution than denying WW moves to those in the running or allowing eliminated teams to make moves.]

E2A: We use blind bidding, so WW priority doesn't screw playoff teams [as was mentioned above]. Also, we're a 12 team league with 6 teams in the playoffs, so post-season is 3 weeks instead of 2. Thus waiver moves are more important/necessary than in 4-playoff-team leagues.

Edited by LosGatosEnFuegos

In redraft leagues I think pickups should keep going. Most of the time the rosters are pretty set in stone, but I personally think that picking up a proper defense or kicker.

Plus its not fair if the guy in the fantasy championship week 15 and he has a bunch of Colts who are resting their starters that week.