[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could football die as a bigtime sport?

wiegie

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replace helmets with leather helmets and you will eliminate most concussions. Concussions happen because these athletes are reckless in their pursuit - and they are reckless because they are all padded up. Take away the protective helmet and leave a man's head exposed, he's going to be less reckless and more careful about going full speed in pursuit.

This is exactly right. The introduction of the hard helmet changed this game from a contact sport to a violent sport. I still think Football will be banned before I die. The athletes are getting bigger, stronger, faster. It is only a matter of time before they start literally killing each other out there. Would a couple of deaths in a season shut down a sport?

Let's look at it this way - I assume that most people on this board are middle-class and educated.

If a study comes out saying that CTE is not only due to concussion, but also caused by repeated non-concussing head trauma (maybe not the right term, but you get what I mean) that any/every child who plays tackle football would be subject to - would you let YOUR kids play football*?

* - or hockey, but we're talking football right now

• 2 weeks later...

Let's look at it this way - I assume that most people on this board are middle-class and educated.

If a study comes out saying that CTE is not only due to concussion, but also caused by repeated non-concussing head trauma (maybe not the right term, but you get what I mean) that any/every child who plays tackle football would be subject to - would you let YOUR kids play football*?

* - or hockey, but we're talking football right now

Interesting. I was listening to two guys at my gym talk the other day, both were maybe mid 20s and looked like average middle/working class guys. One said to the other, yeah I'd let my kids play basketball, but I don't know if I'd let them play football.

I was inspired by the NASCAR race....I would like to see them bury cannons under the field that shoot fire. Everytime a huge hit or a big play is made, fire shoots out of the field as close to the play as possible. When we tire of that, we could just have random fire shoot from the field during the play. Or we could just line up fire along the endzone and you have to dive through fire to score a TD.

I was inspired by the NASCAR race....I would like to see them bury cannons under the field that shoot fire. Everytime a huge hit or a big play is made, fire shoots out of the field as close to the play as possible. When we tire of that, we could just have random fire shoot from the field during the play. Or we could just line up fire along the endzone and you have to dive through fire to score a TD.

Tampa would only need minor modifications to do that.