[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vereen has a broken wrist.

v0dka

Per rotoworld. Vereen, see ya' in Week 11 :sad:

Patriots placed RB Shane Vereen (wrist surgery) on injured reserve/designated to return.

Vereen was expected to miss only 2-3 weeks, but as usual with the Patriots, we didn't know the truth. Vereen won't be eligible to practice for six weeks, and can't return until Week 11 (New England is on bye in Week 10).

It's a massive blow for an offense that's unusually short on playmakers as it waits for Rob Gronkowski to return. It also means Stevan Ridley could start getting some run on third downs, but Leon Washington is a candidate for passing-down snaps.

Inexplicably, LeGarrette Blount now finds himself No. 2 on the depth chart, but that could change once Brandon Bolden (knee) returns. The Pats are likely in the market for veteran help. Vereen was primed for a fantasy breakout before going down. Put simply, it's a bummer.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Crap. Prior to this (IR) news, I was thinking Vereen was a perfect "buy low" guy... get him back at mid-season, with just enough time for him to get back into the flow and become an effective fantasy playoff option. This is a lose/lose situation for everybody involved, except I suppose Ridley (and maybe Blount and/or Bolden) owners. If you have Vereen, you pretty much have to hold on to him (if you can afford to) or drop him. You're not going to get much by shopping him, and in dynasty leagues, he's probably worth more long-term than his current price tag. Meanwhile, even if you buy low, it's pretty risky to assume he's worth much of anything, in terms of this season (redraft leagues).

I have him in a couple of leagues... One dynasty (where he's not going anywhere, but he was arguably my RB1 because my other RB's are shaky at best... Hillman, Bernard, etc.), and in the Huddle Message Board II league (best ball), where my RB corp just got awfully thin (I have Lynch/Gore, Vereen is my #3, and my #4/5 are longshots). Best ball just became "hope Lynch and Gore stay healthy, and take a hit on their bye weeks", basically.

I wonder if McGahee will become a Pat...

Nah - Ridley is a superior back in pretty much every way. Yes - he gets fumbly at times, but he's overall very solid and will continue to be the lead horse. I'm more interested in seeing who takes over Vereen's role.

I actually think Blount could excel assuming Ridley is buried under the doghouse. I don't think he is, I'm pretty sure it's just a light a fire kinda thing. I think the Jets game will bear it out definitively and Ridley will be right back where he was.

But if that turns out not to be the case, I could see Blount pulling a Corey Dillon. I wouldn't call him a schlub just yet. 2010 wasn't that long ago. He has, or had, legit freak athletic skills (remember the "hurdle" run a couple of years back?) ... I'm gonna do a speculative grab on him in a league where I have the bench spots just in case Ridley sharts the bed again...I mean, the guy didn't get cut for some reason, and he got the touches, if not the results, last week.

Just checked his stats, and wow, can't believe he's 250 lbs....that's....wow. Has he always been that big boned?

Edited by WildTurkey
  • Like 1

He's always been a big boy. I'm all in on Blount. Remember they traded for him. He wasn't a cut/FA pick up situation. There has been nothing but compliments about him especially his locker room demeanor. Supposedly he has come a long way from his days punching guys out after games. Take a small risk and roster him. I drafted him. Ridley's entire pro/college history shows that he has fumbling issues.

He's always been a big boy. I'm all in on Blount. Remember they traded for him. He wasn't a cut/FA pick up situation. There has been nothing but compliments about him especially his locker room demeanor. Supposedly he has come a long way from his days punching guys out after games. Take a small risk and roster him. I drafted him. Ridley's entire pro/college history shows that he has fumbling issues.

They traded crap they couldn't use for (at that time) crap that might be worth something. The fact he was traded for means nothing in this case.

They traded crap they couldn't use for (at that time) crap that might be worth something. The fact he was traded for means nothing in this case.

Have to disagree, they may not have traded much (I don't recall, apparently you do since you knew it was crap) but acquiring somebody by trade where you give something up (anything) shows the team has more interest than a FA pick-up that costs the team nothing (in picks, players, etc.)

Not saying he will be a big factor, or even any factor at all.

I read some analysis somewhere that I think makes sense. Ridley was to be the workhouse, and Vareen the complimentary back, 3rd down pass catching type duties. Blount isn't really suited to that roll, and neither is Brandon Bolden. Of the RB on NE roster, Leon Washington is the one that fits the Vareen roll.

Depends on whether you think Ridley ends up in the dog house and they turn to somebody else to carry the load, or if you're just looking for who gets Vareens touches.