[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL MVP? Peyton or Foles?

Papa Deuce

It doesn't matter what you think. They will give it to Manning even if he didn't play another down this season.

That is likely true. He is the poster boy for the NFL, with Brady not being his normal self.

But Foles is taking a team that was supposed to be awful, and they are 7 - 5. If they win the division, to me, that is more impressive that winning when you are expected to win. ( like the Broncos ) That said, I would only vote for Foles if they win the division, and I don't see that much value if you can't get that far.

That is likely true. He is the poster boy for the NFL, with Brady not being his normal self.

But Foles is taking a team that was supposed to be awful, and they are 7 - 5. If they win the division, to me, that is more impressive that winning when you are expected to win. ( like the Broncos ) That said, I would only vote for Foles if they win the division, and I don't see that much value if you can't get that far.

The Eagles were supposed to be awful? Says who? They were the talk of the offseason in terms of Chip Kelly and his high-octane offense.

Next, Mike Vick is responsible for 2 of those 7 wins. I won't discount what Foles has done in his 5 victories, but look who he's done it against: NYG, OAK, WAS and a Rodgers-less GBP. His most impressive wins have been against TB (296 and 3) and ARI this past week (237 and 3).

And finally, the NFC East is simply terrible. Foles is a great story, but to compare him to what Manning and Wilson have been doing is pretty ludicrous IMO.

• Like 1

Having Foles in this discussion is just stupid. I know you saw it on Yahoo, but good lord. Just stop.

Manning will get it.... but doesn't deserve it. Wilson does.

This. Foles isn't close. He's had a solid start, but needs to prove himself quite a bit more.

I think that Manning will win even though Wilson may be more deserving. Peyton has been winning and in dramatic fashion. Wilson has been winning too, but his stats don't quite size up. I would pick Wilson and the Seahawks to beat Manning and the Broncos if they both get to the super bowl, though.

The Eagles were supposed to be awful? Says who? They were the talk of the offseason in terms of Chip Kelly and his high-octane offense.

Next, Mike Vick is responsible for 2 of those 7 wins. I won't discount what Foles has done in his 5 victories, but look who he's done it against: NYG, OAK, WAS and a Rodgers-less GBP. His most impressive wins have been against TB (296 and 3) and ARI this past week (237 and 3).

And finally, the NFC East is simply terrible. Foles is a great story, but to compare him to what Manning and Wilson have been doing is pretty ludicrous IMO.

Yep.

Fisrt off.... I am not comparing them, per se'. That was yahoo! But I think Foles is more important to the Eagles than Peyton is to Denver. Obviously Peyton is a far superior QB. But I think there are several QBs who would do as well in Denver.

I also said I wouldn't give him - Foles - the MVP, unless the Eagles win the division. Just because a guy is a young player without a track record does not preclude him from winning an MVP.

Sure Kelly has a high octane offense, but still many sites had the Eagles placed last in pre-season polls. Fat Andy didn't leave the pantry full ( I can say that as a fat guy myself ) when he left for KC. I live 25 miles west of where the Eagles play, and I can tell you that people were happy to get a new coach, but I don't think the area was expecting more than a 7 win season, at best.

Also, I would give it to Megatron, if I had my choice, but WR's never win the MVP.... generally speaking I can only think of 2 players that were MVP that weren't QB's or RB's.... Lawrence Taylor, and Mark Mosley.

If a kicker can win MVP, surely Foles can't be discounted just because he doesn't have a track record.

Fisrt off.... I am not comparing them, per se'. That was yahoo! But I think Foles is more important to the Eagles than Peyton is to Denver. Obviously Peyton is a far superior QB. But I think there are several QBs who would do as well in Denver.

I also said I wouldn't give him - Foles - the MVP, unless the Eagles win the division. Just because a guy is a young player without a track record does not preclude him from winning an MVP.

Sure Kelly has a high octane offense, but still many sites had the Eagles placed last in pre-season polls. Fat Andy didn't leave the pantry full ( I can say that as a fat guy myself ) when he left for KC. I live 25 miles west of where the Eagles play, and I can tell you that people were happy to get a new coach, but I don't think the area was expecting more than a 7 win season, at best.

Also, I would give it to Megatron, if I had my choice, but WR's never win the MVP.... generally speaking I can only think of 2 players that were MVP that weren't QB's or RB's.... Lawrence Taylor, and Mark Mosley.

If a kicker can win MVP, surely Foles can't be discounted just because he doesn't have a track record.

Alright how about this -- if Foles goes say 3-1 to end the season (which is entirely possible) and the Eagles get into the playoffs (which, I believe, is still very possible) and he averages 250ish yards and 2-3 scores in the final 4 contests... then you can make a case. But right now? I don't think so.

Yes, but would any other quarterback (including beloved Wilson) be on this pace? I'm really not so sure.

Peyton is on pace for:

5,500 passing yards (all-time record)

55.66 passing TDs (all-time record)

passer rating of 115.3 (currently 4th best all-time)

436 pass completions (5th most all-time)

Basically one of the best seasons ever by a QB. Like him or hate him, I don't know how anyone can say he isn't the runaway leader for the award at this point.

1. Foles is so important to the Eagles that Kelly just named him his starting QB. (partial sarcasm)

2. Reid didn't leave for KC, he ended up there after being canned.

3. Foles track record or lack there of means nada to me and I'd assume most. If he had Manning's numbers he'd be the frontrunner for MVP.

4. People were all over the map on expectations for the Eagles this year, but much of it was due to the defensive side of the ball. Expectations were high for the offense.

5. I have no qualms with another position winning MVP

6. As for Calvin Johnson, do you realize he's not a lock to lead the league in any of the 3 main receiving categories?

Receiving yards: 1st with a 50 yard lead on a player that missed two games compared to the one game CJ missed.

Receptions: 5th (tied) 13 catches behind the league leader.

Receiving TDs: 1st (tied) three others are 2 back, and four are 3 back.

7. From one Eagles fan to another, take off your green colored glasses.

8. I'm a huge Calvin Johnson fan.

I like Foles, but his 0 INT stat is admittedly a bit of a red herring. He had a pick overturned on replay (still don't see how they overturned it) in his awful game agains the Cowboys. He also had a pick nullified by a terrible penalty call this week. He throws a lot of balls up for grabs or into double/triple coverage - he just hasn't been burned yet - he's bucking the odds right now big time.

Also, if you're lobbying for Foles to win MVP, keep in mind that his horrible (and by horrible, I mean historically horrible) play against Dallas basically cost them that game

Edited by nelsosi

6. As for Calvin Johnson, do you realize he's not a lock to lead the league in any of the 3 main receiving categories?

Receiving yards: 1st with a 50 yard lead on a player that missed two games compared to the one game CJ missed.

To be fair, Calvin 'really' missed two games. He played Wk 6 purely as a decoy - he shouldn't have been on the field at all.

Wilson averaged 214 passing yards per game and 1.7 tds per game before last night. And averages a turnover per game. Are you guys serious with this Wilson for MVP talk???

Funny how 1 primetime win skews things....

Agree. Wilson definitely hasn't done anything to earn MVP. You have to REALLY go above and beyond in just about every aspect.

Wilson averaged 214 passing yards per game and 1.7 tds per game before last night. And averages a turnover per game. Are you guys serious with this Wilson for MVP talk???

Funny how 1 primetime win skews things....

Yep, and as far as Peyton goes...he's not having a good year...he's not having a great year, nor is he having a phenomenal year...he's having a historic year. Edited by keggerz

Alright how about this -- if Foles goes say 3-1 to end the season (which is entirely possible) and the Eagles get into the playoffs (which, I believe, is still very possible) and he averages 250ish yards and 2-3 scores in the final 4 contests... then you can make a case. But right now? I don't think so.

Again, I specifically said if he finishes up with the Eagles winning the division and NOT yet.

Having Foles in this discussion is just stupid. I know you saw it on Yahoo, but good lord. Just stop.

Manning will get it.... but doesn't deserve it. Wilson does.

How can you say he doesn't deserve it???

Yep, and as far as Peyton goes...he's not having a good year...he's not having a great year, nor is he having a phenomenal year...he's having a historic year.

When this is exactly what he is doing this year. Doesn't deserve MVP and Manning should not even be in the same book let alone the same sentence

• Like 1

This conversation is silly. Foles is a good QB, but to be talking MVP at this point is just way too early. He has played great and won a lot of games, but the opponents have been average at best. I’m an Eagles fan, but if Vick was capable of staying healthy, he would be winning games also. I’m not saying he would be playing as good as Foles, but that does not make him an MVP. Also, talking about interceptions taking back by penalties is just stupid. You can go through any game and find plenty of situations where good or bad plays were altered by a penalty, drop, etc.

Obviously Manning is the front runner right now, it is hard to argue with his numbers. I do agree he has a ton of talent, but he is part of that and it is not like he is putting up decent numbers with these, he is killing it!

As for Wilson, I don’t think he should be in the running. They have arguably the best defenses in the league and a power running game, there are plenty of QB’s that could win in that system. Not taking anything away from him, just saying.

• Like 1

Every year, this same conversation. Is the MVP:

The best player on the best team?

The best player on a team that might suck without him?

The best player who got injured and isn't playing, so his team sucks without him? :rolleyes:

The answer, none of the above (with the usual exception of #1). It's a popularity contest, though over the past 4 years, Peyton has also met all of those criteria above.

This conversation is silly. Foles is a good QB, but to be talking MVP at this point is just way too early. He has played great and won a lot of games, but the opponents have been average at best. I’m an Eagles fan, but if Vick was capable of staying healthy, he would be winning games also. I’m not saying he would be playing as good as Foles, but that does not make him an MVP. Also, talking about interceptions taking back by penalties is just stupid. You can go through any game and find plenty of situations where good or bad plays were altered by a penalty, drop, etc.

Obviously Manning is the front runner right now, it is hard to argue with his numbers. I do agree he has a ton of talent, but he is part of that and it is not like he is putting up decent numbers with these, he is killing it!

As for Wilson, I don’t think he should be in the running. They have arguably the best defenses in the league and a power running game, there are plenty of QB’s that could win in that system. Not taking anything away from him, just saying.

And I feel silly for coming back to this topic. Kinda like seeing close-ups of Bruce Jenner's new face....just can't resist the absurdity.

Manning is without a doubt the 2013 MVP.

• Like 1

There was not a single stud on that offense until Peyton Manning showed up (Wes Welker added this past off season). Look at the numbers of any of those offensive player's prior to Manning joining the team. He makes players around him better, and not just a little but by leaps and bounds. Moreno was considered a first round bust. Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker were just random WR's putting up average numbers and Julius Thomas had a grand total of one catch prior to this season. Every single one of them are now probowl caliber players. Peyton has talented players around him, but none of them were worth a darn until he showed up. Peyton Manning allowed those players to reach their potential because he is such a great player. I don't think you could have stuck just any old QB in there last season and expect to see the same results.

Edited by sausagekingchi

There was not a single stud on that offense until Peyton Manning showed up (Wes Welker added this past off season). Look at the numbers of any of those offensive player's prior to Manning joining the team. He makes players around him better, and not just a little but by leaps and bounds. Moreno was considered a first round bust. Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker were just random WR's putting up average numbers and Julius Thomas had a grand total of one catch prior to this season. Every single one of them are now probowl caliber players. Peyton has talented players around him, but none of them were worth a darn until he showed up. Peyton Manning allowed those players reach their potential because he is such a great player. I don't think you could have stuck just any old QB in there last season and expect to see the same results.

I agree 100% but wasn't Demaryius Thomas out on IR not an random WR

Thomas was coming off surgery to remove pins in his left pinkie when quarterback Peyton signed with the Broncos during the 2012 off season. Thomas was injured every in his rookie year 2010 & 2011

I agree 100% but wasn't Demaryius Thomas out on IR not an random WR

Thomas was coming off surgery to remove pins in his left pinkie when quarterback Peyton signed with the Broncos during the 2012 off season. Thomas was injured every in his rookie year 2010 & 2011

Yes, Demaryius was banged up his rookie season, but still played in 10 games. He was also banged up his sophmore season, but still played in 11 games. You can't deny his talent, he was a first round draft pick and showed signs of being an impact player his first two seasons (everyone remembers his 80 yard catch in the playoffs against the Steeler's). While I know this kind of talk is sometimes nothing but lip service he certainly gives a ton of credit to Manning helping him learn how to be a great receiver. Of course we will never know where his career would have gone if Manning didn't sign with them, but there is no mistaking how good he became when Peyton showed up.