[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Running Back Rogues...A Trend?

wpayers

I am not sure what my point is. But while pondering this regrettable run of NFL crimes/convictions, etc. this random string of names, and their claim to shame, popped into my mind:

AP - domestic violence

Ray Rice - domestic violence

Jonathan Dwyer - domestic violence

Cecil Cooper - Burglary

OJ Simpson - God knows what

Travis Henry - Illegal drugs related

Jamal Lewis - Illegal drugs related

Bam Morris - Illegal drugs related

Mercury Morris - Illegal drugs related

Stanley Wilson - Burglary

Lawrence Phillips - Assault

Dave Meggett - Assault

What do they all have in common? They carried the ball.

Is there a trend here. Is there something about the position that drives these men to the edge? Is it the limelight? The adrenaline? The relative short careers? The pounding?

Any thought?

Edited by wpayers

If the crimes were limited to RB or more prevalent in RB then you might have a point. But plenty of other players (Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth, Nate Newton just to name a few) have been involved in crime. I'd say it has less to do with the position or the sport, and more about their upbringing, and their perceptions of right/wrong.

• Like 1

If the crimes were limited to RB or more prevalent in RB then you might have a point. But plenty of other players (Ray Lewis, Rae Carruth, Nate Newton just to name a few) have been involved in crime. I'd say it has less to do with the position or the sport, and more about their upbringing, and their perceptions of right/wrong.

Agree and would also add the feeling that they will never be held accountable for anything.

• Like 2

I heard a stat on talk radio this morning about this. FWIW, I'm sick of hearing about it... they can talk about other things once in awhile. Anyway, they compared college athletes and arrests, and soccer, lacrosse, basketball, etc., have far fewer arrests than football players.

QB's are smart guys, they score well on the wonderlic test.. Yet we all know what Michael Vick did.

Considering that RB's take a lot of abuse and are prone to concussions, perhaps they are more likely to develop cognitive issues.

Are NFL Concussions Linked to NFL Domestic Violence? More Are Asking, As League's Problems Mount

One famous study from 1986 looked at 15 death row inmates and found that all of them had experienced a traumatic head injury in childhood. A 1996 report looked at 279 Vietnam War Veterans who suffered penetrating brain injuries found that those with damage to a particular part of the frontal cortex demonstrated more aggression.

You aren't looking hard enough if you only found RBs, some I can think of ...

Ryan Leaf, overall 1st round pick in jail now

Nate Newton did jail time

Tank Johnson

Josh Brent, driving drunk and killed teammate - did jail time

Michael Irvin, cocaine

Aaron Hernadez, murder

Ray Carruth, murder

i seem to remember a kicker arrested for sex crimes as well

Edited by Grits and Shins

I would disagree. I have long contended that overall, running backs seemed to be the nicest guys. You want headcases - go look at WR. Arrogance? QBs. If you want to go back many years, you can find plenty of every position that have committed crimes because these are guys 21-30 years old, with tons of cash to spend, who in many cases were not raised in great environments to grow up and emulate. It is a violent sport. It is not going to attract the timid. You find any set of 1000 young guys with a similar demographic and with their money to get in trouble, and it won't be any different in or out of the NFL or whatever position.

Except kickers.

Let's make sure to give the WR's their due here also...all drug related:

Josh Gordon

DaRick Rogers

Dwayne Bowe

Justin Blackmon

Sam Hurd

Jerome Simpson

Reche Caldwell

Probably more that are not coming to mind right now.

Smoke Josh Gordon. E'ery Day.