[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this year the worst first round in fantasy history?

euphy

My league first round busts were AP and Ball especially (Ball was my pick). Other players like Charles, McCoy, brees were so-so. Manning, Rogers, Lacey, and Forte were good picks.

On that note I just looked at my draft...some great picks, but 4 of my first 8 were total turds, but check out the end of my draft

Round 11-Golden Tate

Round 12-Jeremy Hill

Round 13-Andre Williams (I had selected Rashard Jennings earlier)

Round 14-Tim Wright (ok, he stunk)

Round 15-Lamar Miller

Round 16-Ben Roethlisberger

Round 17-Martellus Bennett

Round 18-Fred Jackson

That is pretty incredible. Imagine had I not whiffed on Round 1 (Ball), Round 6 (Cameron), Round 7 (Gerhert), Round 8 (Rams D)

The outlook on this list has changed a bit since October but not much. Somehow I still think we're going to see 2-3 QBs in the first round next year of standard 12-team leagues.

QB early is just a poor, poor, poor value. And people will point to points scored and consistency but there's more to it than that, much more. And on the consistency front ask Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers owners how they feel today.
  • Like 1

QB early is just a poor, poor, poor value. And people will point to points scored and consistency but there's more to it than that, much more. And on the consistency front ask Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers owners how they feel today.

if not for Dez & D. Thomas I would be pretty sick right now , but thanks to those guys its off to the Big Game

It depends on league scoring. In my league getting a top RB doesn't guarantee you either

The SAME team had #1 RB Murray and #4 RB Lynch and he missed the Final 4

The team with RB 5 Foster also missed

My team went 13-1 on the year, top seed. My RB was RB8 -Charles and then nothing

BUT I had QB-1 Luck

WR 1-Brown and WR-4 Jones (Tate early in the year, Beckham later)

What I love about my league is it's now not a guarantee for success if you get the top RB or top QB. Back in the early days of our league if you got two stud RBs you were a lock for the playoffs.

NOW you have to build a complete team. I had success with very marginal RunningBacks, but only because every other position was locked and loaded.

It depends on league scoring. In my league getting a top RB doesn't guarantee you either

I don't think the top RB (QB, WR, or any single position) gaurantees anything and it doens't matter what the league scoring is. Especially in a year like this when many top players had stretches of bad/average games.

I hear what you're saying and it certainly makes sense when you look at the weekly difference in points of drafting, say, Manning #1 overall (like I did this year and have never drafted a QB #1 before) vs. Luck in the 3-5th round. However, when I consider that the #1 pick had I not picked Manning would've been between McCoy, AP or Charles, I got it right. Call it luck, but interesting to consider.

Usually I'm RB 1st and foremost, then base picks on value vs. drop off in perceived points

I'm not supporting the idea of drafting a QB in round 1 - but I currently have Rodgers on a top 20 overall team in FFPC. That isn't a coincidence. His performance yesterday may have been bad timing for some FF owners; but he has generally been 20ish to 35ish in 11/14 games with 8 of those 11 games at 25 points plus.

I know you don't like drafting QBs before round 15; but Rodgers has been a consistent uber stud this season and well worth picking before a lot of other guys in the top 3 rounds (granted, I picked him later than that) despite positional value at QB.

Again there is no one size fits all for fantasy leagues.

I typically take a RB first, but Ive won a league in the past by taking a QB first (Kurt Warner). I've seen other guys do it.

My first round pick this year was Ball (RB-total bust), but I landed Luck later to make up for that.

It just depends on how the draft goes. If a stud RB is there and I think I can get say Matt Ryan later on I'd do that. But if the last of the stud QBs is there and it's between that player and a suspect RB I'm taking the player with the most upside.

RunningBacks are ending up hurt more, are involved in more RBBCS than in years past. WHICH makes a player like Murray or L. Bell potential elite status for next year (so I'd take EITHER of them over a QB), but if you give me a choice between J.Charles (who runs it an average of 14 times a game) and A.Luck then I'm taking Luck.

You play the draft according to value.

Edited by kwolf68

Oh I'm totally with you. The two QBs started this week by the teams that will play in the finals of my main league were Eli Manning and Derek Anderson. If that isn't an advertisement for the zero QB theorem then I don't know what is...

• Like 2

IF you can accurately predict which QBs will finish in the top 3 -AND- IF you can be assured that the top three significantly outperform then next 9 -THEN- taking a QB early can pay off.

Completely agree, but you can't be assured of this regardless of position. So it's kind of meaningless really. Everyone had Charles, McCoy and AP as their top 3 by far. That didn't go well this year at all. At least Charles is top 10 RB this year but certainly not worth a top 3 pick.

In the Championship game this weekend with Manning as the #1 overall pick. However, my team is more about Bell, (last pick in the 2nd round) and a group of great WR's than anything.

Edited by NAUgrad