[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Huddle Rankings - Top Ten TE's

DMD

Shockey actually had decent #s last year; there seems to be a perception that he's injury-prone, but he played in 15 games in both '02 and '04 - I'll take that with his upside.

But he has NEVER caught as many tds as you'd like, and with this being his 4th year, "upside" goes to "unfulfilled potential" if he doesn't produce.

I'm sure that in most leagues SOMEONE will grab him way too soon. Still, if he starts falling, he's a guy who averages 4+ catches per game for his career, finally started finding the end zone last year, and has the ability to have big games (100 yds, 2 tds is monster for a TE); I'd have no problem taking him if he slips past the 6th round.

1. Tony Gonzalez

2. Antonio Gates

Definitely agree with this - LOVE Gates (grabbed him late last year in one of my keepers and was actually benching Gonzo for him), but I need to see both him AND Brees do it again before considering moving him past Gonzo.

Tier 2

3. Jason Witten

4. Dallas Clark

5. Randy McMichael

6. Alge Crumpler

7. Todd Heap

8. Jeremy Shockey

You are correct that I agree all of these guys are solidly in the second tier but will be juggled - I'd probably swap 6-7-8 with 3-4-5 in order, then bump McMichael past Dallas Clark. But potato, potatoe, as Dan Quayle might say.

Tier 3

9. Chris Cooley

10. Doug Jolley

I like the Jolley pick, but am at a bit of a loss with the apparent massive Cooley love-fest going on these days - the 6 tds were nice, but Gibbs TEs have NEVER been massively productive; even if he manages another 6 tds, his catch and yardage #s wlll stay in the same low-rent district. I'd prefer to take a flyer on a Bubba Franks (has gotten up over the 50 catch line a few times, and has proven year-to-year consistency with tds plus the whole Javon Walker situation) or Jeb Putzier (Den has a track record of good production from the TE position; if he grabs that starting spot and pans out, could have a 70-80 catch year). Or even Eric Johnson, whose pros and cons have been discussed here.

Here is my take on the TE's:

1. A. Gates

2. T. Gonzalez

3. Jason Witten

4. A. Crumpler

5. J. Shockey

6. R. McMichael

7. D. Clark

8. T. Heap

9. J. Wiggins

10. LJ Smith

I have Chris Cooley at #15 and Doug Jolley at #19

AWOL Fantasy Football

Im very suprised by those of you who put Gates in front of Tony G because of 1 good season. In 2003 Gates did nothing (24 rec, 389 yrds, 2 TD) while Tony had a consistently excellent year (71 rec, 916, 10 TD). Gates has one good year and all of the sudden he is the best tight end in the league????????Im not saying that Gates is not a great tight end, just not going to jump on the band wagon quite yet. I mean no one in their right mind would have drafted Gates ahead of Tony last year and would be equally as stupid to do it this year.

Im very suprised by those of you who put Gates in front of Tony G because of 1 good season.  In 2003 Gates did nothing (24 rec, 389 yrds, 2 TD) while Tony had a consistently excellent year (71 rec, 916, 10 TD).  Gates has one good year and all of the sudden he is the best tight end in the league????????Im not saying that Gates is not a great tight end, just not going to jump on the band wagon quite yet.  I mean no one in their right mind would have drafted Gates ahead of Tony last year and would be equally as stupid to do it this year.

864245[/snapback]

I'd be willing to take that chance. I think Gates is SD's best receiver!! If Brees and him have the same chemistry as last year...it will be another 13-15 TD's.

I think Gonzales is still the #1, and the same argument Devilwomen makes for Gates can also apply to Gonzales. Also with Holmes getting that breather with Johnson spelling him either frequently or not as people will argue, I think that only helps Gonzoles' chances even more. Everyone is very high on Johnson but, he's not Holmes and those breathers Holmes will be getting doesn't necessarily mean he'll be getting the ball. Gonzales and the passing game really took off once Holmes was off the field. The D doen't look that improved.

I'd be willing to take that chance. I think Gates is SD's best receiver!! If Brees and him have the same chemistry as last year...it will be another 13-15 TD's.

I guess it is an issue of taking a risk of either 2-4 TDs or 12-14 TDs with Gates or knowing you will get 8+ with Tony. For Gates to have another great year will require both him and Brees to play at the same level they did last year which will be hard to do, not to mention Gates will likely be pulling double teams while Tony has been dealing with double teams for 5+ years

I'd be willing to take that chance.  I think Gates is SD's best receiver!!  If Brees and him have the same chemistry as last year...it will be another 13-15 TD's.

864252[/snapback]

Very few TE's have EVER scored 10 TD's in one year... it's less than a handful. NO TE has EVER scored ten TD's two years in a row, and expecting Gates to duplicate his record breaking TD production of a year ago is way too optomistic for my taste. It was just one year. Gonzo has proven himself, Gates is a newbie. Add in the fact that SD has a REALLY tough schedule.... this is double sugar grape, I believe.

Im very suprised by those of you who put Gates in front of Tony G because of 1 good season.  In 2003 Gates did nothing (24 rec, 389 yrds, 2 TD) while Tony had a consistently excellent year (71 rec, 916, 10 TD).  Gates has one good year and all of the sudden he is the best tight end in the league?

Gates was a ROOKIE in '03 - he caught 3-38 in the first 8 games while adjusting. Down the stretch, he went 21-350-2 - not great, but darn solid for a TE when projected over a full season. And when he got his full season, it was fantastic.

Now, I wouldn't put Gates in front of Gonzalez for the same reasons you list, plus a few others (long term prospects at QB - this year he has Brees, sure, but next year he gets to endure Rivers' growing pains), but I'd be surprised if he doesn't stay near the top for a few years (just to throw #s out, I'd say his floor this year is 60-700-8).

Guest THEbigred
Receptions - 87 (44 for 1st downs)

Yards - 980

TD's - 6

Average Per rec. - 11.3

Witten did that with Vinny ... do you really expect him to do any less with Bledsoe?  :D

864269[/snapback]

Possibly. Bledsoe sucks. Vinny tended to have a lotta picks, but he could at least do well sometimes...and was actually MORE mobile than Bledsoe.

I'd bump Dallas Clark down below Crumpler and Heap.  Those guys have been more consistent, as long as they aren't injured.  I want to see what the Colts are planning to do with Clark before I'd put him ahead of those two.

858490[/snapback]

:D I don't know there Captain...with Marcus Pollard gone it would seem that Dallas would move up under Witten considering the Manning air attack. True Clark wont get as many receptions as Witten but he will get as many or more TD's. Just my opinion though.

82 receptions, alright.  But not all leagues give you 1 point per reception. 

Grits will run the rookie QB thing into the ground when it comes to TEs.  So perhaps he'll chime in here... Sure, the rookie will look to the TE as a safety valve.  That does NOT translate into yards and scores.  Plus, Johnson's a pretty capable blocker.  Dollars to donuts says he is in max-protect mode 60% of the snaps.

858769[/snapback]

I think a HUGE factor not being mentioned in Johnson's "dropoff" is Rattay was hurt. Go look at the #'s. When Rattay started and was healthy he got a ton of catches and a ton of throws his way. Meanwhile when Dorsey started you honestly wouldn't have even known EJ was alive. Now what kind of connection Smith and EJ have I don't know, but it will be more than Dorsey and EJ had. Plus I'd be shocked if he stayed in to block that often. He is if not the best certainly right up there in terms of receivers on that team and I just don't see them keeping him in that often to block. They'll keep a RB or another TE in but I bet EJ goes out in the pattern a lot. Now with that said he won't be as effective as his early season #'s but I'd be comfortable having EJ as my # 1 TE if I waited until a little later to grab a starting TE.

Edited by giantsfan

Heap is still a top 3-5 TE. Witten showed a lot of promise and is also a top TE.

857855[/snapback]

Picked Witten up as a FA last season and he had a great year. May be even better this year.

This year's TEs represents the smoothest drop off in talent I have seen, I think ever, in FF. No more TG in round 3 or 4. Than nothing for 3 rounds 1 or 2 bites. Than another 2 rounds and everyone figures they might as well get a TE....right after they secure their backup kicker. From the 4th round on, there will be TEs picked up in every round at a steady pace, and woe to the ones that don't get a top 8 TE.

Nice list. Would be satisfied with any of the top 8 on my team. Wuld be unsatisfied if I missed the run on TEs in my draft