[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Slow Cooked Babyback Ribs

Guest Cherni

I've made my ribs close to this method the last two times. My variation is that I place one rack per pan, add one beer, cover pan with foil (or lid if available). Cook for the recommended time above and then finish on the barbie after adding desired barbeque sauce. IMO they come out better than when I cook them strictly on the barbie using Chief Dick's approach (which was still damn good). They are absolutely fantastic cooked this way. The retain their juices and fall off the bone.

Yup. Actually going to do some this way on Saturday.

:D I just noticed that I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? started this thread. :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(my subconscious just told me to smoke ribs this weekend. i wonder why?)

Yep, just pulled the H2O smoker out and will go to the butcher tomorrow. Have my Stubbs rub and sauce along with some mesquite and hickory chips. Oh yeah and at least a half rack of ales.......

The Ribs are officially smoking on the BGE and have been for about 45 minutes. I did a little mix of cherry and hickory wood, just to change it up a bit.

Because I'm also working this weekend, I didn't take time to make my own sauce. I'm trying a new "store bought" one called Sticky Fingers Carolina Sweet BBQ sauce. It's got a nice flavor without too much heat. I have to monitor the heat when I'm feeding my boys.

Life is good.

Well, I have never cooked ribs before, but yesterday while my wife and I were grocery shopping I saw that the store had babybacks on sale--since I had read this thread a few weeks ago, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a try. (Mostly I was thinking that if Puddy could cook ribs, then it couldn't be all that difficult to do.)

We don't have a smoker or even a grill, so this was going to be an inside job. (In a nice coincidence, Bier called me up last night and gave me a few extra pointers. :D ).

I cooked the ribs today for lunch using the "boil then oven" method.

I seasoned the water with: salt, pepper, garlic salt, thyme, bay leaves, liquid smoke and nutmeg and brought it to a boil.

I then removed the membrane from the ribs (wasn't nearly as hard as Puddy made it out to be) and then cut the two racks into three pieces each.

I boiled/simmered the ribs for almost an hour (and the smell permeating our apartment was wonderful). Then, I took the ribs out of the water, dried them off and then gave them a rubdown with a "paste" that I had made. (The paste was originally just supposed to be a dry-rub, but the only brown sugar we had had dried into a solid brick. So I chopped it up a little bit and then added water to disolve it.) To the brown sugar paste I added: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, a few dashes of cinnamon, garlic salt, a few drops of liquid smoke, and some swiss meat seasoning my wife had.

I then rubbed the paste all over the ribs and then put the ribs into the oven at 225 degrees for about 50 minutes. I then brushed bbq sauce (store bought) all over the ribs and put them back into the oven for another 30 minutes.

I'm not going to lie, I thought the ribs were outstanding. My wife (who seemed skeptical about the whole process (even going so far to ask me last night at the store if I knew how to cook ribs)) thought they tasted great. And then after we finished lunch my wife said that she thinks I might be a better cook than she is. :D (That isn't true, but man, those ribs were good.)

I've still got 2/3 of a rack left over wrapped up in foil in my fridge. I'm thinking that will taste good later this afternoon/evening.

All in all--thanks for all of the input you guys put into this thread--it greatly helped me out!!!

(Now, one last question... I've still got the water that I used to boil the ribs in sitting on my stove. It seems like it would be a terrible waste of flavor to pour it down the drain--is there anything I can do with it?)

Edited by wiegie

(Mostly I was thinking that if Puddy could cook ribs, then it couldn't be all that difficult to do.)

Ain't that the truth.

I then removed the membrane from the ribs (wasn't nearly as hard as Puddy made it out to be)

I have actually become quite adept at this myself. If you can get a good grip it pretty much comes off in one piece.

(Now, one last question... I've still got the water that I used to boil the ribs in sitting on my stove. It seems like it would be a terrible waste of flavor to pour it down the drain--is there anything I can do with it?)

I don't know about that. Day old rib water sounds a little gross.

Glad they came out good. I do love cooking them in the oven. I'd eat them once a week if they weren't so unhealthy.

when brown sugar hardens you can microwave it (10 sec at a time) until it softens.

that boiling liquid can be used as a "stock" for anything you want those flavors in...... ie: can make risotto, pilaf, or cous cous with it, though it might be strange flavors for rthose grains. it could be used as part of your base for a stew, or chili. and you can save it for about a week or so for more boiling ...... could do a little shrimp boil with it.

edit: i would strain it though

Edited by Bier Meister

I have actually become quite adept at this myself. If you can get a good grip it pretty much comes off in one piece.

It's actually pretty easy if you use a napkin to grip the corner. If you just use your fingers, it's too slippery.

It's actually pretty easy if you use a napkin to grip the corner. If you just use your fingers, it's too slippery.

This is truly the gayest thing I have ever read here.

Use your fingers and grip it like a man you pansy. :D:tup::doh::D

Edited by Chief Dick

boil for 3 hrs in Beef Base.......slap on grill.......add sauce last 30

Is this a consensus...I consider myself a decent grill cook, but I'm always looking to improve and ribs are definately not a specialty of mine!

Well, I have never cooked ribs before, but yesterday while my wife and I were grocery shopping I saw that the store had babybacks on sale--since I had read this thread a few weeks ago, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a try. (Mostly I was thinking that if Puddy could cook ribs, then it couldn't be all that difficult to do.)

We don't have a smoker or even a grill, so this was going to be an inside job. (In a nice coincidence, Bier called me up last night and gave me a few extra pointers. :D ).

I cooked the ribs today for lunch using the "boil then oven" method.

I seasoned the water with: salt, pepper, garlic salt, thyme, bay leaves, liquid smoke and nutmeg and brought it to a boil.

I then removed the membrane from the ribs (wasn't nearly as hard as Puddy made it out to be) and then cut the two racks into three pieces each.

I boiled/simmered the ribs for almost an hour (and the smell permeating our apartment was wonderful). Then, I took the ribs out of the water, dried them off and then gave them a rubdown with a "paste" that I had made. (The paste was originally just supposed to be a dry-rub, but the only brown sugar we had had dried into a solid brick. So I chopped it up a little bit and then added water to disolve it.) To the brown sugar paste I added: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, a few dashes of cinnamon, garlic salt, a few drops of liquid smoke, and some swiss meat seasoning my wife had.

I then rubbed the paste all over the ribs and then put the ribs into the oven at 225 degrees for about 50 minutes. I then brushed bbq sauce (store bought) all over the ribs and put them back into the oven for another 30 minutes.

I'm not going to lie, I thought the ribs were outstanding. My wife (who seemed skeptical about the whole process (even going so far to ask me last night at the store if I knew how to cook ribs)) thought they tasted great. And then after we finished lunch my wife said that she thinks I might be a better cook than she is. :D (That isn't true, but man, those ribs were good.)

I've still got 2/3 of a rack left over wrapped up in foil in my fridge. I'm thinking that will taste good later this afternoon/evening.

All in all--thanks for all of the input you guys put into this thread--it greatly helped me out!!!

This guy knows how to cook some kick-ass ribs. Follow this procedure and you won't go wrong. :tup:

• 2 years later...

my wife still loves'em boiled for 4 hours and then grill......they fall off the bone (overdone from other thread).....just last week i was short on time so was forced ta boil but only for 2 and of course they didn't fall off as much........i like them at Famous Daves where they stay in sections and ya pick the bone up and chew the meat off.....hate goin ta all the work and you're basically eating chopped pork.......so My Problem Is- need alot more practice / need a descent smoker cause like it's been said it's all about the smoke flavor.....i inheirated my Dads round "electric" smoker but that just sucked and was hard ta get chit ta fit

In summary :D i think i need CD to invite me down so i can actually see how it's done :wacko:

Also, DO NOT apply your rub until about 20 minutes before grill time. The spices in rub tend to try out the meat if you try to marinate overnight with it, and you honestly do not really gain any penetration into the meat overnight. By rubbing it shortly before, the spices are more vibrant on the meat, IMO.

Wow, I have been following your guys advice for a couple years now with good results. But for some reason I missed this. In the past I have removed the membrane, rubbed with mustard, and put the dry rub on the night before and let them sit. Then its 2 in the smoker mopping every 20 minutes to half hour, 2 in the foil with the mop, and 1 on higher heat with the sauce.

Everyone raves about them. But after several smoking sessions I feel I have to tweek something. I am not saying they are dry, but i feel they could be more moist. This may be the reason. Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like I'm smoking this weekend.